Ypsomed and Dexcom enter partnership

I know there aren’t many who use this pump, but here’s some interesting news from Ypsomed and Dexcom. The pump isn’t yet available in the United States, but I’ve been using it in Canada since August. It’s a nice little pump, its main downside at the moment is lack of any integration with CGM. I’ve been hearing that they were going to partner with the FreeStyle Libre, so I wonder if this Dexcom partnership is in addition or as a replacement to that.

Ypsomed and Dexcom enter into partnership to drive closed loop system

9 Likes

I saw this and think it’s really cool if we can get it in the US. That would be pretty cool. How do you pronounce the name??

2 Likes

It’s pronounced with an I, like Ipso.

My understanding is they were applying for FDA approval…but I’m not sure how the pandemic may have affected whatever timeline they were on.

2 Likes

They have a lot of really cool looking things on their website! Their pump is very small, it looks nice.

Their pictures are a little hard to see in context though, they are kind of all like “marketing” pictures.

Like this:

And this:

Do you have any “real” pictures of it you can share?

1 Like
1 Like

Yes! This thread here has some pictures. I can take any other pictures you’re interested in seeing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I remember that now! I had replied to you in that thread, but it was almost a year ago and I forgot!

That pump is cool looking. It’s impressive how compact they made it!

2 Likes

I love the size, and just about everything else about the pump. The only complaint I have is that the infusion set packaging is too bulky! Oh, and Diasend doesn’t yet support the pump in Canada (or France, but Diasend support is available in all other countries, for some reason).

1 Like

You don’t hear Dexcom talk about ControlIQ, so I wandered what there plans were. For Tandem the Dexcom and Controliq features were differentiators from other pumps. Now with Ypsomed (once approved in the US) it really back to only the the pump specific features.

Will be interesting to watch.

Dexcom owns the algorithm which they bought from the University Virginia. Control-IQ will not be on any other pump other than Tandem. They do speak about CIQ on every earnings call and interview they do. An Ypsomed and Dexcom partnership is the exact same deal as Insulet and Dexcom. The only functionality Dexcom will offer is the transmitter’s ability to communicate with the pump. Any loop algorithm will be developed by the pump manufacturer.

That isn’t what the press release says.

“We look forward to Ypsomed working with both our current G6 system and TypeZero algorithm, as well as eventually our next generation Dexcom G7 CGM.”

1 Like

You specifically mentioned CIQ. That is an exclusive partnership product between Dexcom and Tandem. Ypsomed will still have to develop their loop. How was my response to your post wrong?

I think the next iteration would have CIQ/Loop functionality, bought by dexcom per this in the link.

The integration of Dexcom CGM data is significant step forward in Ypsomed’s mylife™ Loop™ program. The goal of the program is a modular and therefore customizable diabetes therapy system with an insulin pump completely controllable via the smartphone, and the future option of adding a hybrid closed loop feature powered by the Dexcom TypeZero algorithm. The smartphone approach enables feature-upgrades without the need to exchange the insulin pump hardware.

3 Likes

I suspect the next version of the pump will be two-way communication between the pump and the phone, such as being able to bolus or adjust basal rates from the phone, but not necessarily any closed-loop features. The current version of the pump allows data to be display on the phone (so if I want to see how much insulin on board is remaining, I check my phone, not my pump), but there is no phone-to-pump direction communication.

2 Likes

I hope they can find their way into the U.S. I think it is a big hurdle for a lot of the smaller companies getting past the FDA.

I know prices are somewhat arbitrary based on insurance and stuff like that. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you? Or what ballpark it is in? Is it comparable in cost to other pumps like the Tandem?

2 Likes

The costs are a somewhat cheaper than other pumps. I’ll list the full prices (as if someone didn’t have any health coverage).

Most other pumps are around $7,000 Canadian (just over $5,000 American), and I believe the YpsoPump is around $6,300 (just over $4,500). In my case, I got the pump for free through a Switch program that was available when the pump first launched in Canada.

The infusion sets are about $156 Canadian (around $110 American) for a box of ten. The reservoirs are $42 Canadian (about $30 American) for a box of ten. These prices are comparable to somewhat cheaper than other brands of infusion sets and reservoirs.

5 Likes

I can’t find a link to a press release to share, but I’d heard several months ago that the YpsoPump was going to get support for Inset infusion sets. They just posted on Facebook that YpsoPump-compatible Insets can now be ordered through customer service. (I personally have never been a fan of the Insets and will stick with Orbit Micro, but I know many people love them.)

2 Likes

I saw this image of what the updated app may look like. I am looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Hey @Jen … are you still on the Ypsomed? My trial with
Medtronic 780G is coming to a close mid June … it’s been an interesting experience with using both the 770G before. Difficult handing over the reigns to an algorithm after being hands on with various pumps that aren’t closed loop.

I wish the trial I’d done with Ypsomed last year (June 2022) had gone better. Had technical issues with it, and after a week … they requested the pump back. I think my Instagram posts of the problems annoyed them. In reality, they told me if the pump had been mine, they would have replaced it. Also, they felt it wasn’t a good fit for me. Wow, what a punch in the face.

I know the myLoop in EU is getting good reviews … and actually one tester said if they had a choice between many of the looping pumps (they compare it against Tandem) … they said this would be there choice. Lucky bugger got to test it out as well for I think 3-4 months (with Libre3).

Anyways, just thought I’d reach out and see how it’s working for you. I did like the refillable glass vials and ease of use, just not the alarms which were created they say by the pump/phone app being out of time sequence, but still never been sure exactly what caused the sudden withdrawal from allowing me to trial it fully.