Potential new pump?

My warranty runs out on my Tandem X2 pump in June.
Of course a Tandem rep has called me asking about getting a new pump.

Honestly, my X2 pump works good!
That being said, I plan on using it until I have issues.

Having said that, I like to RESEARCH as much as possible for what I might get when this pump does start having issues.

The T:sport is interesting. Not a true patch pump / tubeless. But allows a choice of infusion sets.
It has a smaller volume of 200 vs 300 on the X2. This is an issue as I put in about 240-250 into the cartridge (then lose a bit to filling, tubes, etc.)
Fiasp doesnā€™t come in a stronger form that I know of. Luymjev does.
Remote dosing. Meh, can be nice, can be a hassle.
I would like to get AWAY from having a phone glued to me 24/7. I use the BlueJay watch act at the collector specifically so I donā€™t have to have my phone around all the time.
I like the small form factor, and the potential to locate it in many more locations than I can with my current pump.

New Omnipod?
If this gets the same loop setup as Control IQ, this becomes a serious contender! I know it isnā€™t there yet, but that is supposed to be the next great thing with them.
These have a nice and simple form factor. But no choice for infusion sets. So it better work for me, or it isnā€™t any good. My Endo loves her Omnipod for many reasons, and personally recommends them.

Of course, any NEW pump will have to be approved through the VA. And anyone that knows anything about Veteran Affairs knows that isnā€™t always a ā€˜quick or easyā€™ process. And also get the correct supplies through pharmacy, etc.

What else is coming out?
I see the Medtronic 780. But I have no desire to leave Dexcom for my CGM. I look forward to the G7. I have had great success with Dexcom. Not perfect, but absolutely worth it!

I donā€™t know of any other options that might fall under the possibility of being able to obtain through the VA other than my two choices.
Am I missing something?
It seems that all ā€˜informationā€™ is very limited with a lot of hopeful timelines that have yet to materialize.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on the older omnipod and doing your own Loop setup?

Maybe she could let you have a couple to try?

The one-size-fits-all infusion may not work for you, but if your endo is cool with it, maybe she could let you test it out.

2 Likes

I have thought many times of doing my own loop setup. Still a possibility, but I would prefer a product I can get full support for (less things I have to think about, the better.)

My endo would definitely get me something to test with. I have no doubts about her willingness to help out as needed. She offered before, so I donā€™t see an issue there.

Honestly, I figure my pump will keep working for a good long while. I just like being prepared for WHEN it has issues.
I just wish I had more readily available information to READ about these newer pumps, etc.

5 Likes

I believe tsport will allow you to bolus w/out the phone. Assuming itā€™s similar to the x2 quick bolus option (i.e in 1/2 unit increments or whatever you choose).

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a decent summary article about the new pumps coming out soon. Seems like the new Omnipod 5 will be worth considering.
Insulet comes out fighting | Evaluate

Iā€™m in the same boatā€¦procrastinating trying Loop because a ā€œstore boughtā€ system would (hopefully) save me a lot of time getting it set up, etc. I am waiting for the Omnipod 5/Horizon to come out. They keep saying ā€œlimited releaseā€ in June but no idea how that will play out.

2 Likes

If it was anything besides an insulin pump, I would be all over the DIY approach.
I still seriously consider it.
But as with everything dealing with my T1, I give the upper hand to a ready made solution.
I really like the idea of a better closed loop setup that I can fine tune myself to best suit MY needs. Something that is not, and most likely never will be available with a commercially available insulin pump.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is a little more information. Although not much, I am trying to piece together the many different small pieces to try and paint a better picture.

1 Like

@Hammer Iā€™m in the same boat, my warranty is up in October. Iā€™m enamored with the 'Pod because itā€™s tubeless, but Iā€™m not eligible for the 30 day free trial because of my insurance company.

Today I ordered a 30day Omnipod Dash setupā€¦$477 out the door complete no insurance. If I like it and the Pod 5 is out, who knows where I will land. I really really like CIQā€¦and thereā€™s a new CIQ algo due out this year.

Sadly MT isnā€™t even a contender for me - too many horror stories from current users who canā€™t afford to escape to something that works for them.

Big shout out to @Eric for suggesting the cash only insurance free Omnipod trial. :1st_place_medal:

2 Likes

Hi there
I had a Tandem T-Slim and my warranty ran out. It worked perfectly. I called Tandem to get a new pump, Doctor said you donā€™t want to use an out of warranty pump, and the Tandem rep was nasty and not much help. I wen over to Medtronic and just received their top of the line 770G. It works great so far. It is not a touch screen, like Tandem.
Sylvia Palm

1 Like

Are you also using Medtronic Guardian cgm integrated with pump? If so, how does it compare to Tandem CIQ ?

1 Like

I called Insulet to find out what the Omnipod 5 limited release is all about. They said they are no longer planning a limited release in Juneā€¦more like a widespread release later this year. Unfortunately the rep I spoke with did not have anything more specific than that.

4 Likes

Yes. My Endo likes the Guardian 3 CGM much better, with the Smart Guard and Auto Mode Technology. Because Tandem only uses SG it is not as accurate as using BG. With the Medtronic 770g, you have to calibrate (finger sticks) at least 2 time a day. Smart Guard keeps your blood sugar at 120mg/dL with fluctuations. I use to suffer with lows at night, so far, this hasnā€™t happened with my new pump. Because I am retired and get Medicare, they do not pay for my CGM. When on a fixed income, it gets expensive, but I will do anything, not t end up in a coma like I did a few years ago due to a tumor on my pituitary in the middle of the brain. Sorry fo the long explanation.
Sylvia

2 Likes

@palmsc112 I used to get large bg swings unexpectedly. Between Dexcom and CIQ, that no longer happens. I definitely do prefer the lower 120 threshold that MT offers, but there is a new CIQ algorithm coming this year that is expected to address this.

I hope your new pump works for you as expected. Please do keep us up to date as you get into auto mode.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the OmniPod for about a year and half now, came from MDI before that. Started with the original omnipod and just upgraded to the Dash. I donā€™t have Experience with other pumps to compare to, but my experience with the Omni pod has been absolutely incredible, Iā€™m very happy with it. Once itā€™s on, I forget Iā€™m wearing it.

Pre-pump (and pre-Libre) my A1Cs were generally around 6.8-7.0. With the new technology (and a lot of work) my last one got down to 5.9.

4 Likes

For any :canada: members following this, Insulet Canada says they expect to release Omnipod 5 AID in late 2022 or early 2023.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

Whatā€™s up with that? That seems like itā€™s very far off. Itā€™s almost like saying there will be a cure in 5 years.

1 Like

Good job and congratulations. I know that your lower A1c did take a lot of work and hope you are proud!

1 Like

What on earth are you hinting at?

The sensors from Medtronic, Abbot, and Dexcom all measure interstitial fluid glucose levels, i.e., sensor glucose (SG). None of them measure the glucose in capillary blood. All three of them display a number that is their best estimate of what the capillary blood glucose reading would be right now. Their estimates are generally within about 10% of what a lab-grade blood measurement would actually show.

Medtronic forces you to calibrate their sensor because it isnā€™t approved for use without calibration. It wasnā€™t accurate enough for no-calibration approval in the clinical trials. You may calibrate a Dexcom sensor, but in the clinical trials the Dex is already sufficiently accurate, and better than the Medtronic, whether the Dex is running no calibration or with calibration.

4 Likes

Sounds like you may have a biased endo. Endo should tell you pros/cons to both systems and let you decide which is best for you.
With Tandem pump you can enter bg any time, 0, 1, 2 or as many calibrations you want. Many days I donā€™t do any.

5 Likes

I think this is just a sign of a good sales rep who the endo really likes. This is a common tactic medical device sales people use, i.e. say that because we force the user to use blood measurements our system is safer/better/more accurate etc. And since the doc canā€™t say I am recommending Medtronic because I really like their sales guy who provides service to me, and I donā€™t like the Tandem/Insulet rep as much, I need something to tell the patients to justify my recommendation.

5 Likes