Potential new pump?

Medicare does cover dexcom cgm.
When/if Medtronic improves accuracy, medicare will cover.

2 Likes

Thing about using Dash, I don’t have/want an iphone again.
I don’t want to deal with the rileylink.

Am I being picky? Yes actually.
And to be honest, my setup now WORKS! I don’t NEED anything except my pump and CGM. No phone, no PDM, nothing else required.
Remote bolusing is good, but I don’t want to have to rely on the phone/PDM for the looping to work.
These are huge pluses for the t:Sport if/when it comes out.

4 Likes

@palmsc112

You may find this off useful as a comparison of currently available CGM systems. As @bkh stated, They all measure interstitial fluid including the implanted Sensionics CGM. Pay particular note to the MARD, lower is better and more accurate.

Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems: Categories and Features

https://professional.diabetes.org â€ș 
PDF

3 Likes

I think it’s just another case of our regulatory approvals taking much longer than yours.

2 Likes

Well it may just be because that is how Insulet is doing it. You guys got Fiasp long before we did!

In fact, my first test of Fiasp was the vial I got that was shipped from a Canadian pharmacy! That was well before it was approved in the U.S.

1 Like

Canada has their own robust process for approval of medical devices and drugs, but as with most things bigger companies have more resources and can decrease the time it takes to get something approved by knowing exactly what is needed and being proactive in providing it. Comparing the resources that NovoNordisk can bring to the table compared to Insulet, is like a division against a squad.

2 Likes

The other interesting thing about the Fiasp release was that it was basically available to every country in world except the U.S. It was available in most of South America, all of Europe, Canada, etc.

2 Likes

Fiasp was a rare exception. You got Humalog earlier, and I think Lantus, and Dexcom G6 and now G7. And we’re still waiting for Afrezza.

4 Likes

and Lyumjev

3 Likes

In considering a potential pump, I looked up info on the Omnipod 5 that’s in the offing and though about just waiting for it’s appearance. I found OmniPod Gears Up to (Almost) Close the Loop | Integrated Diabetes Services that it won’t do extended boluses, which seems odd. Everything I’ve read talks about extended boluses as a very good thing for high protein/fat meals; the Dash has it, so why isn’t it incorporated in the 5? Is there something I’m not understanding, if so, what? Also read it won’t be available for iPhone until later (I’m learning that “later” ref D means maybe never). Further read that the 5 may not be compatible with Dexcom G7 for a few more months. The other downsides seem to point to possibly just sticking with MDI until the right tool comes out. Other perspectives?

It’s July 2023. Is the Omnipod 5 available in BC, Canada yet? Last time I checked (a few months ago) I was told it wasn’t.

“New Omnipod?
If this gets the same loop setup as Control IQ, this becomes a serious contender!”

Is this something that’s on the horizon? I kinda like the omnipod but it is way too conservative in its auto mode for me
. I haven’t had time or energy to keep up with the pipeline lately

Still no approval in Canada. Insulet Canada is disturbingly tight-lipped. They won’t even confirm that application for approval to Health Canada has been made. My endo says approval is expected this year, but I think I heard that about last year too.

I wonder how many potential customers they are losing to other pumps.

@jo_jo and all :canada:

There seems to be some changes to the Medical devices category that are being worked on.
For the record, Insulin pumps fall under Class III, however if looping is included, it become s Class IV and thus falls in a stricter evaluation category.

At one point in Feb, I heard about 3 active applications for diabetic devices, and one of which was considered Class IV. (Now, I know Tandem was in the process at the time, so likely that was the one). Unfortunately that was something that should not have been made available at the time, and it seems the root cause was fixed
 so no way to know what is in the pipeline in an unquestionable manner.

1 Like

And I just noticed this (Now Dated June 2, 2023) – with updated links
@jo_jo I know its not what you are looking for
 but seems to be that BC is endorsing
supporting Looping

It also notes O5 and YSOMED devices becoming available in late 2023/early 2024.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s necessarily Canada endorsing, just that clinic isn’t waiting
they’ve been doing it for a couple of years per the ad and my seeing it previously elsewhere at least a year ago.

1 Like

I did not mean to say that Canada was endorsing it, rather, BCDiabetes is supporting it (correcting my post)
 thanks for pointing it out!