My tandem pump is going out of warranty - what to do?

Hi -

I’ve been extremely happy with the Tandem TSlim, and have been told that it is going out of warranty at the end of November. This is the first pump I’ve had, so I don’t know what the process is once it goes out of warranty. Specifically:

1. Is there something I need to do or is it an automatic replacement process?
  2. Any indications about whether there is a new model coming from Tandem? I don’t have any particular new needs but maybe there’s some great feature that might be coming out?
  3. Any reason to hold off on replacing the pump when it comes off warranty?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience on this!

e

6 Likes

I am in the same boat as you.
My warranty ended in June. It is my first pump as well.
My Tandem X2 still works great.
Tandem does not currently have a newer/better pump.
They will be releasing the t:Sport soon-ish.
This is the smaller, almost pod like pump with remote bolus features. It still has a small infusion set, so you can use different cannulas, etc.
I see two downsides to this pump. It only has a 200 ml cartridge as compared to the current 300ml. And you must remote bolus, which means you need a phone/or other contraption. I think ou can still do a manual bolus from the pump.

I know that running in a non-warranty pump comes with it’s own risks. If you has issues, you will have a long time to wait for a new pump because of the process with insurance, etc.
You will not be able to get the updates either. I haven’t heard of a timeline for the next X2 update. I kind of figured it would come out with the t:Sport release.

I know that many on here run on out of warranty pumps.
I think that unless you have concerns about your specific pump, that running it after warranty shouldn’t be much of an issue.

As for auto replacement, that depends on your insurance. But I imagine it would need a Dr. approval. Tandem might instigate the process for you though.

4 Likes

To me the key question is what will happen to you if the pump suddenly fails.

If you have another back-up pump or can easily go back to MDI, then why not just keep using the current t:slim until you see something you’d rather have. But if you think that a sudden pump failure will cause misery, then it might make sense to get another pump sooner rather than later.

If you decide to get a new pump and re-designate your current t:slim as a back-up pump, I recommend that you start a periodic battery maintenance program. Charge it up to 60% or 80%, then do a full shutdown (plug in the power and hold the side button for 15+ seconds until you hear the beeps.) Then every 2 months or so, take it out, start it up, and charge it back up to 60-80% again, and shut-down. The goal is to never let the battery sit at 0% or at 100% for long periods of time, because that can cause a complete battery failure. If the battery fails because of sitting at 0% for too long, then it really isn’t a back-up pump, it’s just a decorative electronic brick.

3 Likes

In my experience, Tandem is eager to sell you a new pump now that your current one is out of warranty and therefore eligible for replacement and more importantly, eligible for insurance reimbursement. I’m surprised they haven’t proactively contacted you to get the process started.

3 Likes

Yeah, they called me once, and have emailed me a couple times now.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions. I’m trying to avoid that situation where I buy a new T:slim and then 6 months later there is some new and improved version. Seems like no one is aware of a next gen Tandem in the works?

e

1 Like

All I’m aware of is tslim sport which will be their patch pump. The below article says 2021, but with covid delays it is likely 2022.

2 Likes

Jim, what is a “patch” pump? Not familiar with that terminology. I agree that covid will cause delays in all things Tandem. Last month, I could no longer get my AutoSoft XCs for my T-slim because they (Byram Healthcare) said manufacturing is backlogged. I had to take the AutoSoft 90 in lieu. I don’t like them as well.

1 Like

Patch pump is in reference that the pump itself is stuck to your body via the same mechanisms that your infusion sets are. With Tandem t:Sport, you still have a separate infusion set, but the length is just a couple inches. So your infusion set sits right next to where you stick the insulin pump. Advantage of this is you can choose your infusion set. Unlike Omnipod where you are stuck (pun intended,) with whatever cannula, etc. comes with the pump.

2 Likes

If there is a replacement model, I hope they would reduce unnecessary alerts such as “check your BS” when it is getting readings from your CGM.

1 Like

Well sure enough I got a text from a Tandem rep - followed by a phone call where they updated all my information in anticipation of my pump getting replaced at end of November. These little babies retail for about $5100 so insurance is helpful.

I don’t know how much my insurance will cover of this however. To be continued …

1 Like

@Suesa1c I know “check your BS” meant “blood sugar,” but I had to smile and chuckle just bit at the double-entendre! Hey, we find humor where we find it, eh?