Yogurt

I was recently surprised to find several comments in another thread mentioning how difficult it was to deal with yogurt.

We have the opposite experience. We incorporated yogurt in our hardest meal of the day, breakfast. We use 4 oz of full fat Greek yogurt (4 carbs) as desert (for breakfast) along with a little sweetener and 1/2 oz of blueberries. We find the low GI of yogurt helps us keep breakfast spikes down.

Over the past few years, we have read more and more about the influence of gut bacteria in overall health, as well as its possible influence on diabetes. Like the hygiene hypothesis, I consider that it may be a significant aspect of health that we are progressively discovering (I have no ideology in this btw). But, on that basis, I feel that yogurt may be a really valuable component in a diabetic’s diet.

What do you think about yogurt? Do you find it easy, as we do, or hard to bolus for?

3 Likes

I suspect it really depends on what type of yogurt you’re eating… I would expect my blood sugar to react very differently to a real full fat Greek yogurt than your typical grocery store variety with artificial sweeteners etc that typically are more like 20+g of very simple carbs…

I too am intrigued by all the recent discussions of gut health and links to many different diseases but it’s still very hard to have any informed opinion on how much of it might be valid and how much is voodoo

1 Like

My breakfast:

100 g FAGE 2%
15 g (low carb) protein powder
10 g Callebaut unsweetened callets
28 g walnuts
Vanilla extract
Almond flavoring
Liquid sucralose

I don’t have any problems bolusing for it. I also have sauerkraut several times a week. (Not for bfast! ::cheeky:)

2 Likes

Really? Several times a week? Awesome. My wife hates sauerkraut so I only get it on Jan 1.

1 Like

My son has no adverse reaction (super high spiking or anything like that) to yogurt so he gets it whenever he wants it. Any type…sugar free, sugar, greek, no adverse BG reaction for him so it’s part of his food (when he wants it.)

2 Likes

My favorite treat is a cup of Brown Cow cream at the top yogurt. The coffee and vanilla varieties only have about 20g carbs. No artificial anything and lots of fat.

Maybe I’m slowly figuring out why I have to take 100+ units of novolog every day :yum:

You should just start eating the novolog itself

2 Likes

@docslotnick, I am curious. You must be somewhat insulin-resistant. Do you take any drugs against insulin resistance? Is this something you are looking into?

@Sam, I remember you wrote that you had a really hard time with yogurt.

Would you mind doing a few experiments with full-fat Greek yogurt, such as, for instance, Fage? I think it would be really interesting to find out if, at least for some, there is a big difference between the two types of yogurt. I would love the know the answer.

I was taking metformin up until about a year ago. My doc took me off of it and replaced it with Jardiance, an SGLT2 drug. When I mentioned to him about my increasing insulin requirements he said just to take all the insulin I needed.

Metformin is on my list of topics for my net meeting with him.

EDIT: I got T1 from my maternal grandfather, but on both sides everyone else was T2. So I wouldn’t be surprised that I would be insulin resistant at this point.

1 Like

yogurt is moderately spiky for our son but he can eat it for lunch or dinner and it’s fine. Breakfast lately with it has been a disaster but I actually suspect it has less to do with the carbs and more to do with the fat (Fage has few total carbs). We don’t serve sugar-containing yogurt mainly for personal taste reasons so we’ve never tested a more carby version of yogurt like Yoplait.

Even i it did cause a spike, we let him eat it because he’s growing and getting him to eat a moderately nutritious diet is a chore in and of itself.

It’s all I’m going to be able to afford to eat. I’m at about $350/mo for novolog, and that’s just my copay.

Sure I can take a couple cracks at it…

Don’t worry, Obama fixed healthcare

1 Like

Don’t go there.

@Sam Gosh, Sam. You don’t know how good that makes me feel :confounded:

@Michel Don’t worry, I’m not going to get started…
At least not until Rose gets here :smiling_imp:

There is a trend toward low carb / high protein yogurts which is good for us diabetics! Dannon has one I like that is around 3 carbs.

5 Likes

My absolute favorite treat is full fat Greek/ Icelandic yogurt. Lately have been enjoying Siggi’s full fat plain mixed with 2 tsp organic peanut butter (no salt, no sugar). They have a Triple Cream that is a fav dessert. :blush:

2 Likes

What’s that one called by Dannon? I’ll look for it

The Dannon “carb control” is the 3 carb one but is hard to find. The “light and fit” greek yogurts are in most stores and are 9 carbs each.

2 Likes

i have not found a solution for bolusing for yogurt of any type. i love the Fage Greek yogurt the best of all, but i spike no matter what percent of fat it is, 0% ,2%, or full fat. i love milk, but i have to bolus for TWICE the grams of carbs for just 1C. i drink the 2% Lactaid. it took me years to get the formula down. now i am thinking that i will double my bolus for the Fage and see what happens. my only other idea for the yogurt is doing a 50/50 dual bolus for 1 hour or 2 hours.

does anyone else have this problem with milk, and/or dairy products? i don’t even put sweetener in the yogurt; i eat it plain. well, i should edit that: i want to eat it plain once i figure out the mathematics of blousing for it :wink:.

2 Likes