What Is The Most Amount Of Carbs You Have Ever Bolused For?

When I saw 90u, I immediately thought “WOW - thats like 1/3 of an insulin pen”.

A few years back I was running an I:C ratio of 1:3 and probably ate about 200g of carbs per day - that made me go through rapid acting insulin pretty fast.

thats why i keep myself so lean; i am not on a diet, its just that insulin is too expensive :wink:

4 Likes

carbs

Thank you Frederick Banting for discovering the carbs antidote!

4 Likes

According to Chipotle’s website my chicken burrito was just over 100 carbs… So that’s probably the most I can think of in one sitting

The first time I ate what has become my favourite chocolate cake, I cut a 1/8 wedge, which clocked in at 190 g carb. It’s very rich, so these days we have half of the suggested 1/14 serving size, which is a more reasonable 55 g. Since I now limit my one-time bolus to 5 units, if I ever ate a 1/8 piece again, I’d probably have to extend my bolus over four days.:laughing:

1 Like

ha!!! you’re hysterical. but i’ll bet it was totally worth the trouble :wink:

on my Bday, i treated myself to an enormous steak dinner followed by a huge piece of key lime pie. i spent the entire over-night doing IM corrections. i think i bolused about 90 units that day.

How many carbs in this burger?

burger4

2 Likes

That looks like a cool “One-Million” carbs. Seriously though, that looks like it would feed at least 12 people. Tell me no one has actually finished one of those.

1 Like

http://dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

They make a lot of these types of burgers…some of them require 72 hours in advance to prepare. Crazy. Although, I believe really the biggest carb fear for this entire thing would just be the bread, right?

Although, if you’re doing any of the “burger challenges”, you also have the sides…I’m sure there are crazy carbs in those (fries and things.)

2 Likes

Yes, I would think the bread would be the vast majority of the carbs, although to make something that big hold together I wouldn’t be surprised if they included a bread product in the patty to help it hold together. Also, it looks like there is ketchup, and that monster could hide like a quart of ketchup.

4 Likes

We had Thai food last night and basil chicken Thai with 1/2 cup of rice was 102g carbs. Thankfully I was starting to get a little low and started at BG of 77. 3hours later I’m stable at 164, a little high but acceptable :+1:

4 Likes

I would be apprehensive about having 40 units running through my body!

2 Likes

My T1D son, now a teenager, has huge hormone peaks. The highest number of carbs he has ever bolused for was 122g. But, to take down peaks, he has had to take up to 30 units over 2 hours. For us this is huge and and used to be frightening, although now we are starting to get accustomed to it.

As a comparison, his TDD is typically around 45 (can be 60 or more on bad days), but he has days around 35. So 30 units is almost a light day’s TDD.

6 Likes

I think the most carbs I’ve had within an hour time frame would be around 700g (chinese food, pizza, a whole box of girl scout cookies, and brownie batter) (would not condone). But I definitely didn’t bolus all upfront for that because no way my body could digest that onslaught of food all at once :rofl:

I think I probably ended up using around 80-100u for the carbs, fat, and protein of that “meal.” :flushed: My TDD at the time was around ~30u

5 Likes

100 grams with 3 hour extended release, corrections followed. Would not recommend. I would rather just eat a big hunk of cheese

3 Likes

first off, u don’t have to bolus for a big hunk of cheese??? aren’t u lucky!!!

second, I would rather have a big hunk of cheese than ice cream(so what, call me crazy, I don’t really like ice cream)

third, when you do your extended bolus for the 100g, do you split the bolus and do a dual bolus? or do you bolus all up front?

2 Likes

I usually do 50% 50% two hour split. But I am typically wrong and just have to chase.

2 Likes

can u try and analyze ur errors and then make adjustments from there for the next time? r u experimenting as u go along?

I look for patterns; did I spike first? did I have a basic flat line and then pop up much later? did I crash first and then spike later? do I need to extend or shorten the square part of the bolus?

2 Likes

@LarissaW, you certainly know how to do things in a grand way :slight_smile: When you run, it’s a marathon! When you splurge, it is 700 grams of carbs! When you correct, it is 100U!

I need to learn from you :slight_smile: Btw, I am amazed that you were able to take care of business with that splurge: that is daunting!

Now look at how you compel me to use exclamation marks… I am almost out of them now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

O, I never said my BGs turned out looking pretty after that one :rofl:

Some might call this an eating marathon!

6 Likes