What is your total daily dose and how is it split?

Mine of late has been approximately 30 with that being predominantly basal achieved by a low carb diet and sugar surfing. However this is way up the last month which I’m still trying to figure out why.

For reference I’m 5’6”, 135lbs Female, 41yrs

2 Likes

Mine is approximately 30 too. Currently it’s split 35% basal, 65% bolus. Sometimes my total daily dose is a bit higher or lower and my basal:bolus ratio may vary too.
How much has your TDD changed? Can you think of any events, foods or other changes that may have triggered your increased TDD?

2 Likes

Mine is 16.9U for this week, 41% basal 59% bolus per Tidepool / Apple Health. It can change up/down a couple of units each day though depending on activity. I’m on DIY Loop autobolus, so Loop gives bolus corrections per algorithm. I know insulin insensitivity will increase my TDD. Has something triggered a change in your insulin sensitivity? Less activity this month? Increased stress?

1 Like

I have had a lot of stress–started grad school, a new job, found out my support system (parents) are moving far away, broke up with my long term BF and there has been an extreme heat wave where I live (ie so extreme I had to stay in one room for an entire day with the AC on and that did not even cool the room, it just made it tolerable enough to get through a day’s workload) and the other thing that took place was my 2nd dose of the COVID vaccine. I am NOT saying my high sugar’s are caused by the vaccine, but the high sugars started taking place a few hours after I got the vaccine and now it’s 1 month + a week later.

I’ve just gotten out of the hospital after being on IV insulin for the last few days due to my sugars being in the 30s (and being in DKA), I’m now am at home monitoring and adjusting like a hawk, and I’ve managed to keep my numbers under 11 for the most part (no small effort).

3 Likes

OMG, I am sorry, yes, indeed you have had a lot of stress. I would think this is contributing to the higher TDD due to increased insulin insensitivity. Good luck getting this under control. The best thing I can recommend is try to de-stress with exercise of some sort to get your mind off the stress. I know this is easier said than done, esp as it sounds like you are very busy with grad school, new job, etc. :hugs:

3 Likes

That’s tough! Sorry to hear that. Stress, high temperature, immune reaction to the vaccine, all of these can contribute to BG levels going crazy.

3 Likes

You can try weight in kg then divide by 0.5 to get an estimated TDD. Then, divide by 2 to get the basal. Using the rule of 500 (500/TDD) for the carb ratio. Using the 1500 rule, for your insulin sensitivity (1500/TDD).
What other things elevate glucose? Stress, certain medications for example, steroids, illness, pregnancy hormones as pregnancy progresses, less activity, change in routine, and for me if I gain as little as 4 lbs, I have to do the calculations over again.
*The endocrinologist can help you with all of this. Take care.

1 Like

Things have been normalizing/becoming more stable for me. I had a phone appointment with my Endo last night, and he helped me with a plan for the next 2 weeks by reviewing my Omnipod data (via Diasend) in relation to my Dexcom data (via Dexcom Clarity). I’m now on a basal of 25.8 units a day and I:C ratio, 1:10 and a somewhat conservative correction factor of 3.5. I’m supposed to do a 50% temp basal 1 hour prior to (and throughout) exercise. In 2 weeks he’s reviewing all of the data and fine tuning things from there.

Today’s the first day on this regime. I had coffee, and for lunch I have pretty low carb food. Prolly going to get a bunless burger en route home, but maybe some butter chicken which I’ll put over cauliflower rice…yum. Not sure how to count the carbs in butter chicken though…

1 Like

For butter chicken (high fat) I would treat it with an extended bolus, due the fat slowing digestion. Yum though.

2 Likes

I’ve never used that extended bolus feature, but maybe it’s the perfect time to experiment!

1 Like

The extended bolus is da bomb diggity!!

4 Likes

That is a fantastic result, congrats. We also use that baby for Pizza. Winner winner chicken dinner. (sorry couldn’t resist)

2 Likes

Ha ha ha good one. Yeah, I’m so glad you suggested it! Thanks!

2 Likes

PP777 or anyone really: what is that graph you are showing above? ranges from 2-22? what is mmol/L? I am not on a pump nor do I use DexCom or Omnipod.

Sorry, but is this site only for diabetics who use those products?

Some countries measure blood glucose levels in mmol/l instead of mg/dl. To convert mmol/L to mg/dl you have to multiply by 18 and the other way around, divide by 18.
This website is for all diabetics. Not all of us use pumps or CGMs.

4 Likes

Like @Boerenkool said. I’m in Canada, so I measure in mmol/L.

No, I think this site is inclusive of anyone touched by Diabetes. At least that’s my understanding. My Mom considers herself Type 3–a loved one of someone (me) who has Diabetes :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know.

So the mmol/L and the graph, etc are from Canada (metric vs standard, Celsius vs Fahrenheit)…? What is that graph from?

In general it helps me to learn about glucose responses from others about “what did you eat for dinner” etc. but really impossible to understand when I start having to convert numbers (I can, but have no time) or to relate to others when the meds and control programs are so very different.

The graph is my Dexcom data from my CGM :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PP777 I really like the T3 concept! Hadn’t seen that before…

2 Likes

I had an enormous problem when I came to the US at the age of 33; I measured in SI ( Système international d’unités - the system of units used almost everywhere and in almost all scientific papers), the US still used CGS (Centimetre, Gramme, Second); the ancient metric system that preceded MKS.

So I had these SteamPunk BG meters that output values in drams per ounce. So I ended up targetting 50 of those things. This is probably why I’m still alive; had I targeted 4.4 (aka 80). Well, you can all work out what would have happened to my plumbing.

1 Like