Increasing basal needs and rising BG range... Asking for a friend

The best I could come up with for her was WTH?, and now I feel like I should help her get something more useful…

I have a buddy who’s got some changes going on, and she’s not sure what to make of it. I told her I’d start her a thread here and see if anyone had thoughts. That are better than WTH. I’m giving her the link and hope she’ll pop in to take a look…

“So the last 2 weeks or so my basal rates have increased. Hourly used to be 2.0 at night and 2.0-2.5 throughout the day. It has now increased to 3.5 at night and 3.5-3.75 daytime. During the day I am still having to correct way too much and should probably raise my daytime basal. My sugars stay between 90-120 for the most part. Lately it’s been up into the 175-180 range. Still good numbers but way higher than normal for me and my basal has gone up significantly. I test regularly to make sure my CGM is on par, and it is. I have been peeing a lot more like around 1-2 times an hour. I used to go several hours before needing to. I don’t think it’s a UTI and I’m not sick. I have had no other changes in my prescriptions. … I have the 670G on Manual Mode with Guardian link CGM.”

I don’t expect anyone to have answers, but I thought I’d try for some ideas…

Hope everyone is getting ready to get a lot of sleep over the weekend. If that’s what’s your idea of a good time. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thanks Nicky!

2 Likes

If my memory serves, @docslotnick had a similar event happen to him.

2 Likes

@Chris I had the opposite problem on MDI. No matter what I ate my Bg would not rise.

Turned out to be a matter of too much basal.

Have you used the same insulin vial during the last 2 weeks? Maybe try a different one?

1 Like

I have used 2 different brand new vials :frowning:

Bummer, that would’ve been easy.

Any chance you’re pregnant?

Does your body respond differently to correction given via syringe vs pump?

I don’t have too many other ideas :thinking:

1 Like

Not preggo. I know I usually sit around 3.0 when I’m on my period but my tubes are tied and have been for 12 years now so I better never get preggo again lol. I haven’t thought about doing a syringe correction I’ll give that a try too. I have changed my sites to several locations that I never have used before just in case I had scaring tissue or something.

2 Likes

A long shot, but you can be sick and not notice it for a while. My basal needs, which are pretty constant, rose recently; I was running about 20% more for nearly a week before I felt a sore throat and now my first cold in about a decade.

I suspect my cold was brought on by stress, which is another avenue to consider: any of that in your life recently? (Remember that being happy or excited can be a form of stress as well.)

2 Likes

Nope all has been normal around here lately. No depression or anxiety lately and life has been good. I am wondering if it is something to do with my period. It’s been changing the last couple of months. That is the only thing I can think of. Lasting longer days and tons of cramping and I hardly ever get that very often and when I do it’s in my lower back lot the front like it has been lately. Guess I need to make an appointment haha.

1 Like

If syringe injections don’t improve, then I would suggest some blood work. One test my endo did once was CRP .

The C‐Reactive Protein (CRP) is a protein that increases during systemic inflammation.

High CRP, or other stresses could lead to higher insulin resistance, resulting in your symptoms.

Or you could be developing Type 2 diabetes.

1 Like

Omg I didn’t even know that was possible! You know I have been having issues with my knee swelling up lately for no reason. Maybe that could be a cause too?

2 Likes

@Ashly - Have you got any other chronic disorders in addition to T1D? Aside from insulin, what other meds do you currently take?

Synthroid is about it. I do take vitamin D and B12 as well.

1 Like

It certainly sounds like your blood sugar could be reflective of these other things going on. From what I’ve read from other women, perimenopause and menopause (not sure if you’re a candidate for those events) are hell on insulin sensitivity predictability. And then your knee sounds like something to obviously look into, as well. Good luck with it all! I hope you get some answers!

2 Likes

That’s a lot of basel, 3.5x24 that like 84 units in basel alone, thatsomething like a total daily dose of 2x, that’s 168 units a day. Could be a number of things. Its very likely the person is overweight and needs to exercise and they went from little movement like no movement, could also be pump sites and poor absorption, bad insulin, drugs like prednisone. I would change to a new bottle of insulin, take the required insulin no matter the amount to get it back in range, make sure they walk or run 5-10 miles a day if possible.

Have you had your thyroid checked lately? My insulin needs shot through the roof and my blood sugar still ran high even with double the basal and aggressive meal boluses and corrections when my thyroid was high. (I also had a dozen other symptoms, but I ended up having Graves’ disease, and if your thyroid is only a little high, I doubt you’d have all that craziness.)

1 Like

Thank you! I have a few things I can start with and see what’s going on.

1 Like

Have all ready done all of these. I also have been exercising daily religiously. Total daily is anywhere from 140-175 units a day if I’m trying to eat low carb on days then its 100 ish. It’s been very frustrating. I also have a full time job as a crossing guard so I am most definitely moving all day on top of exercising.

2 Likes

It’s been awhile. I am on a high dose of it right now. I will be having my endo check it again on my next visit in a couple of weeks.