What did you eat today?

I do eat carbs, lots of them. They are in the “vegetables”. Things like broccoli (which is a fruit too, but has a lot of wrapping), spinach, asparagus, fennel (anise, the bulb), bok choi, good cabbage for that matter, peppers (clearly a fruit). These are things I crave. Lots of carbs. Loadsa carbs.

The danger for me is in the staples; bread, rice, noodles (wheat), cassava, manioc. Nope; just say no. I guess I have to add sugar cane to that list even though it is a grass. I do like bamboo, yet that is dangerous for the same reason sugar cane is.

So… my wife explained to me a few hours ago that she has to add “a tablespoon of rice” to what she eats because it isn’t a meal without rice. She is showing insulin resistance; highs after eating, HbA1C 6.3.

It’s the staples that do it; if we are to go out and fight an enemy with our hands and our hearts we really do need a lot of carbs quickly. When we watch NetFlix we don’t, even though the action may be the same.

Three ways to resist:

1. Buddhism (not recommended, doesn’t work for my wife.)
  2. Colonoscopy. One of my girlfriends insisted on drinking large amounts of water (warm); worked for her. Drink a pint when you get up, drink a pint before you eat. It doesn’t work to substitute the English diet, which is a pint of beer, sorry Eric.
  3. The Farmers’ Market Solution; go to a farmers’s market, buy everything vegetative in sight, stir fry it.
  4. [Spanish Inquisition extra]; go full red-blood carnivore. Eat steak. Add microwaved broccoli to taste. Wine helps.
3 Likes