Welcome, introduce yourself here!

OMG! Hey Kim!!!

I am so glad you got here!

I hope you have recovered from Vegas. I am all healed up now, no hobbling around anymore! My standard for a successful B-hat/D-con trip is making it back home in one piece, so I am counting it a victory for 2017.

I had a great time meeting you and talking to you, and this really is the place to be for fun and D learning.

Anyway, make yourself at home, gather up your questions and feel free to post on anything! I am super happy to see you here.

5 Likes

This is so sad to read, but unfortunately, the reality of the world that we live in. As a father of a T1 toddler, I know exactly how you feelā€¦the Endoā€™s would be content if we just let our son, Liam, linger at around 250 (to remove any hypoglycemia liability from their hands). FUD is THE premier site for honest, helpful and accurate advise. Although none of us attest to being medical professionals, we kind of like that monikerā€¦because it means we actually give a crap about you and your health. lol. @Eric and so many others here are so packed full of knowledge and Iā€™m thankful every day for that.

Welcome and itā€™s very nice to meet you! Say Hi to Eric (your Eric) for me and let him know that if getting his A1C down to 5, 6 or 7 is a goal then he is definitely at the right place!

4 Likes

Hey @TravelingOn, it is GREAT to meet you on the forum! And, on top of that, as a friend of this->@Eric you are a friend of everyone on this forum already!

I am so glad that you are spending all that time reading up! This is what my wife, son and I have been doing every since my son my diagnosed 1.5 years ago. D is a tough nut to crack so there is SO MUCH to know and read! But it is amazing how much we can progress and improve through a thorough process of information and experimentation.

I am joining my voice to all the others ā€“ the medical advice is typically directed as the average user. A motivated PWD who reads, learns and experiments can do much better than the average user, and quickly moves past the regular advice from the medical profession. We all feel that the best advice we get is on this forum - after all, we already have more than 500 years of combined D experience here (donā€™t forget to add your Ericā€™s years into there :slight_smile: )! And, in the same way, there is a wide variation in A1cs among people as well ā€“ the big elbow in the complication curve is in the mid 7s, as @Chris said, so there is no reason to feel defeated at all, on the contrary, since you are striving to do better.

Either way, here we thrive on knowledge and experimentation ā€“ so I think you will fit right in! Looking forward to your posts ā€“ your friend Michel

6 Likes

Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the support and am glad that adjustments will probably help!

Hi Michel! I have enjoyed reading your replies/posts/wiki stuff, and your son Kaelanā€™s. The sleepaway camp story made me cry (more than once - apparently Iā€™m turning into a cryer about diabetes at the ripe old age of 37 and eleven years into this thing, who knew?!?) and also reminded us of how thankful we are for T1 in adulthood (and this applies to many of you folks with T1D kiddos out there - I recognize your commitment to helping your children and am humbled).

Kaelanā€™s swimming and carb consumption habits (jumping out of the pool every 20 minutes! Wow! Go Kaelan!) are inspiring, and Iā€™m so excited to have read that your goal has parents and as a T1 are to continue on with business as usual and have an unlimited life. I do believe thatā€™s possible!

3 Likes

Okay, oooops! I am testing out this forum thing here. I am going to attempt to reply to everyone simultaneously as itā€™s been recommended to me by the robot-thing.

@Annette13 I love the three things insight! I should use this when I teach! (I tend to get super jazzed about something and information-dump all over folks, and I occasionally recognize that not everybody is as into whatever Iā€™m on about! :wink: Also,

Youā€™ve gotten good. Now you can get better.

is excellent advice. I will have this as a new mantra.

@ClaudnDaye Iā€™m glad you and your wife are working on being in control of Liamā€™s diabetes! Iā€™m sure that the doc means well, but that doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re always right. I do think you and I have stumbled onto a cool thing here at FUD! Your romance story with your wife cracked me up, and Iā€™m glad itā€™s worked out. I am an Auntie to a family of six kiddos (ages 2-13, their mom is my best friend for 37 years) and I canā€™t imagine having autism and T1D as additions to their already insane life - I believe that you guys deserve a huge pat on the head, some hugs, and probably a vacation or a hot meal prepared by someone else or something. :slight_smile: :1st_place_medal:

@docslotnick Thanks for the words of encouragement. Itā€™s super-weird to me to be eleven years into this and more upset than ever before about EHā€™s diagnosis. Iā€™m trying to put that behind me now, and know that Iā€™ve got even more folks on my D-Team here who know lots of stuff, and are willing to help. Iā€™m pleased to know youā€™ve come out on top so far! :cowboy_hat_face:

@Eric And, finally, you, dear sir. I am so thankful I met you. @Chris is right, doesnā€™t matter how one comes across the information, but how they put it to use. Thanks for being our guinea pig, tester, gear-hacker, and helper in all things dibe. Despite missing a few B-hat/D-con friends who couldnā€™t come this year, I think it was my best con yet (and Iā€™m at something like 12 I think). Iā€™m thinking there should be a proper T1D meetup at DefCon, but I donā€™t know how to make that happen (nor can I afford the Bellagio penthouse, although I did enjoy seeing it and watching the lightning storm). :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :night_with_stars:

So cheesy, but I do feel like I just made a whole pile of friends. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Hello there Kim! Glad you met Eric and found your way here. Your intro was a great read and then this -

So funny. :smirk: Are you an English teacher? FUD is a wonderful place to get your online community experience on. You and Eric #2 will learn so much here. Progress is better than procrastination.

Lisa

2 Likes

That was a fun event that night. I had a great time!

So as a background for everyone, we were in a giant penthouse room at a party, maybe 50 or 100 people in the room, I donā€™t even know. I was trying to carb restore, and had about at least 200 carbs that night. I was doing some IV insulin shots, and in the middle of that crowded room, nobody even batted an eye at it. It was the kind or atmosphere where nobody would even think twice about something like that. And I told Kim, in that big crowd of people, I was one of probably only a small percentage that could pass a drug screening, and here I am in in the middle of them doing an IV shot. The irony cracked me up.

I was pounding as many carbs as I could that night, but then the bar ran out of mixers with sugar. Tonic water, cranberry juice, orange juice, coke - all gone. The only mixer they had left was Diet Pepsi. And then the food ran out. So I started to drop and eventually I was beeping low, and Kim just swooped in and opened her purse which was like a grocery store, and she started giving me sweet treats without even any thought. Just a natural reaction. And I knew how legit she was and that we needed to get @TravelingOn on FUD.

3 Likes

@Millz I actually teach photography and graphic design (technically, at this point I teach a digital foundations class - which is Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign all in 12 weeks!) But my dad swears I missed my calling as an English major. I love to spot typos, bad font selections, and critique other peopleā€™s writing (not on forums, of course).

And I totally chase people with T1 around. ā€œExcuse me! Is that a diabetes alert dog?!??! Does he or she actually work?ā€ ā€œHello!!! I see you have an OmniPod, could you tell me all about that while you take a break from whatever you wanted to be doing?ā€ ā€œHey! Are you shooting up?! Thatā€™s rad! Nice to meet you!ā€ (And yes, I think in real life, I actually use that many exclamation points and have about that level of enthusiasm for most things Iā€™m involved with. Which is probably why I wasnā€™t an English major - I like the exclamation point too much!)

@Eric I didnā€™t want to tell all your secrets, but that was a super fun night, and Iā€™ve laughed a lot at your shooting up/IV drug use/clean drug screen/no one noticed capabilities since then. And Iā€™m glad it worked out - I was carrying around that purse all day, and randomly shoving food at people who needed it (and cough drops, and water, and advil). It took a couple of hours, but I eventually got you to take candy from a stranger. :wink: . I was impressed by the booze+mixers+low BG+no panic. Although, in his defense EH never panics either. Thatā€™s what he has me for. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The funny thing is - insulin is the only drug I use, and I am actually very well behaved as far as following the rules. The only rules I break are the diabetes rules. I am a good citizen, but a bad patient. :wink:

1 Like

Does this mean you were trying to eat as many carbs as you could and using an IV shot to cover them effectively? (I do IM shots, but IV shots scare the crap out of me. Not sure Iā€™ll ever be touching those, but I hear the insulin acts really fast.)

1 Like

Yes. This is not really part of mainstream D treatment, but I needed to eat a lot of carbs to restore, which means I needed a lot of insulin to cover it. Rather than taking all that insulin and having it in my system for many hours - which I think is dangerous - I was doing it via IV, so that a) I donā€™t have to wait to take in the carbs, and b) the insulin duration would be much shorter, I donā€™t have IOB for hours and hours. It all flushes out very quickly that way.

1 Like

I admire a lot of things @Eric does! In this case, I do want to note this is NOT something that anyone should be doing on their own without serious professional training, there is significant potential danger in this procedure.

6 Likes

Especially when you can accomplish the same exact thing without the risks, and in an appropriate and approved manner with afrezza

1 Like

But only if you live in the US (as far as I know).

2 Likes

Just so you know, I am not flying completely blind. I got medical consultation from several doctors before I ever started doing this.

But you are right, I am not advising that anyone should do this. This is something that should only be done by professionals or lunatics. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Dragan, unlimited by T1 since 1975. Glad to be on the forum and meet you all.

8 Likes

Welcome, Dragan! Glad you found your way here!

1 Like

Glad to see you here @dm61!

Glad to have you here. When you get a chance please add your years of D to our combined years thread! We are slowly closing in on 750.

https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/combined-years/532/66

1 Like