Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hi Annette, Welcome from another site newbie. As fate would have it I am also an insulin dependent T2, while this site seems to be mostly T1 there are a few of us T2 around.

Glad to have you with us.

2 Likes

Two A1cā€™s in the 6ā€™s, that is worthy of a celebration!

Greetings! Glad you found us. While this site has a bunch of T1s and Parents of T1ā€™s, we have a growing group of T2ā€™s. There are of course more similarities than differences, especially if you use insulin.

Here is a good recipe, my son who has D, and my non-D son love this one. It is quite low carb. We usually skip the fake sugar, and even when made with regular sugar is low carb and tasty.

5 Likes

Welcome Annette. Itā€™s a big accomplishment to have 2 A1Cā€™s in the 6ā€™s just 6 mos after diagnosis (where you were over 12).

Iā€™m glad you found your way here. I just mentioned to another member this weekend that ā€œā€¦we unlimited Dā€™s need to support each other, weā€™re all in this togetherā€. All of us!!

Lisa

2 Likes

Welcome Annette!

Thatā€™s quite an awesome list of things to be involved in! I am a motorcycle fan as well although this past summer I sold my last motorcycle and decided I wouldnā€™t ride again until all my children were raised and on their own. Iā€™m the bread-winner in my home and it was just irresponsible for me to do right now. There are so many crazies (I was driving a 1650 cc motorcycle and cars still didnā€™t see me) out there on the road in their boxes running me off the road, so I just handed in the towel for now. There is nothing more liberating than riding so my wife and I have talked about traveling the country on motorcycle when we retireā€¦hereā€™s hoping we keep that dream alive!

Very nice to meet you and I look forward to interacting with you in the years to come!
Harold

3 Likes

Almost forgot, my older son is on an FRC team (Lakemonsters 2635), great fun! Are you coaching an FRC team? That is really an intense spring season!

1 Like

Hi Annette,
Welcome here! Sorry about the circumstances leading to you being here, but glad you found us because this is a great place to learn and share. Whatever you are doing or trying, chances are someone here has done it and can provide information. Make yourself at home and ask or share!

1 Like

@Annette13, welcome!

I am really sorry about your diagnosis, and how much it must have spooked you this year. But I am so glad you found us!

These are major victories! Your A1Cs are awesome!

Do you have a CGM?

Love your profile! Several of us are in the northern Midwest. I am in WI, and Lisa (@Millz) is in IL. We are book and art lovers here too, and my 12-year-old T1D son (middle school) is a coder! Hopefully, he will soon be in a robotics team :slight_smile:

My sonā€™s diagnosis was difficult to accept too. This forum has made a huge difference to us in how we have learned to deal with it, both psychologically and in practical terms. I really look forward to your next posts!

2 Likes

I apologize for this being a little long, but I want to respond to everyone at once.

Many thanks to everyone for saying hello in return. I had to jump off and deal with something last night. To come back to all of you has been very hug-like. I appreciate it.

@docslotnick, @Chris, @Millz, and @Michel - thank you for the encouragement. I certainly am not down-playing the test results. I am very happy to have come this far (doctor is too), but I also know I have a long way to go. It does make me more confident that I can do this.

Yes, yes, yes! My husband is a high school math and programming teacher and helped start our FRC team 10 years ago (weā€™re 2619 The Charge ā€” we have the same ā€œbirthā€ year!). I went to watch their first competition and have been totally hooked since. It is one of the coolest things I get to do with my life. @Michel - I also work with our local FLL and FTC teams (middle school level for us in Michigan) in case you want any information for your son. What programming languages does he prefer?

Thank you for sharing. Learning that I would have to use insulin was more difficult for me to deal with than the initial diagnosis. It made me feel like I had screwed up and broken myself beyond repair. It took many meetings with my nutritionist/nurse to make me see that I believed a lot of very wrong things. I love that this forum is a mix of T1s, T2s and families because it puts a lot of things in perspective. And because D doesnā€™t follow some kind of exact pattern, and there is no manual, hearing what different people are dealing with and doing also keeps me learning and thinking.

Wow. Yeah. I completely agree. Last August, a pick-up truck at a stop sign never saw me and turned right into me. I could see it coming and I couldnā€™t do anything to avoid it. A lot of folks were surprised when I bought a new bike this spring (bright red this time). I needed to do it for me. And maybe that makes me nuts, but I am not ready to give it up just yet.

@Michel - I am still learning the lingo/acronyms. I have no idea what CGM stands for but I saw a dictionary in the welcome FAQ and will get back to you. :slight_smile:

Okay, I think I covered everything. If I missed you, I am sorry about that. I am sure weā€™ll connect again in time.

4 Likes

CGM = Continuous Glucose Monitor. In the US that Means the Dexcom G4 or G5 or the Medtronic system.

1 Like

@kenrick is at least a bit involved in a robotics program arenā€™t you @Kenrick ?

1 Like

Thatā€™s really awesome! My son used a few learning languages for kids, then moved to javascript, and is now coding in java. I think this may be a stable language for him (although he and I are looking at Go and Kotlin right now).

Yeah! We do summer camps, host FLL and FTC competitions, and have a university club: http://www.icebergrobotics.com/home/

If you want to go in any more detail on anything let me know :slight_smile: I am more of a coder myself. Java coding is the way to go for FTC!

2 Likes

Unless you get into PL/SQL. Procedures, Functiins, packages, etc.

Add some Powershell and you can do some great things in automatically loading your database.

Hello! My name is Kim, I teach college, I am not a scientist, mathematician, or engineer and I donā€™t have diabetes. But my boyfriend (going on 17 years together, friends for 23!) has T1, diagnosed 11 years ago at age 26. We are in this together, and Iā€™m presently the one in our family with the time to do the the forum reading and posting. :slight_smile:

My boyfriendā€™s name is Eric, and he is also in computer security, but he is not the Eric of FUDiabetes fame. Which is confusing as hell to anyone I try to explain my-boyfriend-Eric+diabetes+this-guy-I-met-in-Vegas-at-the-Biohacking-village+FU-Eric+blood-sugar-management to (which has been coming up a lot lately, since Iā€™ve been reading a lot of FUD).

I wound up here because I met Eric of FUDiabetes at a conference in Vegas and wound up attempting to extract a ton of dibe knowledge from him (and was successful)! Thanks for inviting me to the forum, Eric! Since, Iā€™ve been trying to read up on all things T1 related here. (Goodness gracious, Iā€™m to reply #485 or so in the swimming thread and itā€™s taken me three days! Thanks DM! Youā€™re an inspiration!)

In eleven years of living with/loving someone with diabetes, I have to admit, coming to this site has made me both more happy and more defeated/sad than anything else. I think realizing that what weā€™ve been doing to manage T1 isnā€™t up to snuff (last A1C ~7+), and that there is hope with experimentation and perseverance, is totally a double edged sword. Weā€™ve been trying hard for more than ten years to get it under control, and Eric is a trooper and frequent BG tester and distance runner, but the general medical advice hasnā€™t really helped. And weā€™ve had access to purportedly excellent doctors in SF, NYC, and Orange County. Having an excellent doctor look you in the eye and tell you that itā€™s basically a disease you canā€™t outrun and that 190 is just good enough, just recognize that itā€™ll never be perfect, really sucks. We now have an endocrinologist in San Luis Obispo, CA (where we grew up and again live after years of moving around) and her NP whoā€™s probably the best weā€™ve seen. But weā€™ve learned more from reading the posts and sports info here over the last week. Which is kinda sad, because, well, theyā€™re doctors and instead of helpful info from them, it took me a meeting a random person at a conference thatā€™s not even related to diabetes to get here! But Iā€™m glad I did. Thank goodness Iā€™m willing to chase anyone with a visible pump/CGM/interest in diabetes down and hound them for information!

Once I have my list of questions typed up and supported by a little pile of data (oh, carb counting, bolusing, exercise logging, chocolate milk recovery drinking, and BG, how often youā€™ve been running through my mind!) I will make a new thread with the hopes of getting those questions answered.

And thanks. Someone earlier mentioned that diabetes care is a full time job, and I agree. And I know that posting to a forum takes time to read, synthesize, and reply, and I appreciate everyoneā€™s comments and willingness to lend an ear and a suggestion, and to spend their time participating in something like this. I look forward to getting to know everyone. (Iā€™m also totally new at this online community thing, unless you count AOL in the 90ā€™s and that was not actually a community). (Well, it mightā€™ve been for you, but it was just a string of chat rooms for me. No offense to you if AOL was your thing!)

11 Likes

Hi Kim, welcome aboard!

Ditto.

lol

2 Likes

Kim, really glad you found Eric (no matter how). Sometimes life is a little random, but still works out.

Please donā€™t feel that you are failing with A1cā€™s in the 7ā€™s. #1 that is where the doctors tell you that you should be. Many people on this board have A1cā€™s in the 5ā€™s, and that is great, but not everyone can maintain those. There are many of us, who have loved ones with A1cā€™s in the 6ā€™s and occasionally the 7ā€™s and are comfortable with where we currently are.

I am willing to bet with a few adjustments your 7ā€™s will become 6ā€™s and maybe after some time, your 6ā€™s will become 5ā€™s. If you look at the research, while having a normal A1c is best, the worst increase in risk occurs above 7ā€™s.

Hang in there, and really glad you met Eric and found us!

3 Likes

@TravelingOn Donā€™t be depressed about consequences of a 7 A1c in the past. Iā€™m sure my A1c was much higher than that for my first 30 years of D, and complications are something of which I have none.

Th fact that you are here and that you are committed to helping your boyfriend boxes very well for him. Iā€™m sure with just a few minor tweaks 5.5 A1cā€™s are in his near future.

And Welcome!

3 Likes

@TravelingOn
I studied kung fu for years and sifu always only ever corrected 3 things when he was reviewing with each student. After observing all of my sehings doing the same thing, I asked why 3. He told me that anything more than 3 can be overwhelming and make students feel defeated. So, they pick the 3 most critical things. A lot of time those things will then help fix other issues.

So, please donā€™t feel like you and Eric are failing. Youā€™ve made some amazing progress, and if you were given EVERYTHING you needed to adjust/change at the very beginning, it probably would have felt impossible. Weā€™re all students at this and weā€™re all going to have ā€œ3 new thingsā€ to work on all the time. Just see it as that. Youā€™ve gotten good. Now you can get better.

5 Likes