Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Jen!!! Hugs! So glad you joined! Glad to be in touch with you again.

2 Likes

Hey Jen! Glad to see you here!
Eric (Eddie2)

1 Like

Welcome Jen! Glad to see you and looking forward to learning from you! When were you diagnosed (what age?)

1 Like

I was nine years old. Old enough that I still have memories of how insanely thirsty I was before diagnosis, but had literally never heard the word “diabetes” in my life when I was diagnosed.

1 Like

Hi @Jen, welcome, it’s great to see you here!

1 Like

Before our son, Liam, was diagnosed we didn’t have a clue what diabetes was either. It’s crazy how “unaware” we seem to be programmed to be about most things until they impact our own lives. (or, more appropriately, we’re all just so busy with all the other things we have to do, and know, with our own lives) How was it for you at 9? Were you able to self-manage (eventually…after you learned everything necessary), or did you parents treat for you until you were older?

1 Like

Well, I did gradually take over control, but my story is a bit complicated by the fact of my visual impairment. I think I would have helped a lot more with control at a younger age if it weren’t for having to figure out that part of things. Figuring out how to do everything from test (I couldn’t see to get a “hanging dro” of blood onto the little target area of the strip), measuring insulin (I didn’t find out about insulin pens that clicked with each unit until I was a teenager), and inject insulin without accidentally injecting my thumb were all somewhat lengthy processes. So, it wasn’t really until I was a teenager that I started to really help with management, although I was always really responsible about what I ate. Diabetes has changed a lot since then (I only tested four times a day and took two shots a day and basically forgot about diabetes the rest of the time unless I went low), so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if most kids start helping with control at younger ages than adolescence.

2 Likes

Hi Jen! I am SO GLAD to see you! Welcome!

Welcome, its great to see you here!!

1 Like

SLEE, Welcome to FUD!

1 Like

Just wanted to say welcome to everyone who has joined in the past few months as I haven’t been on here nearly as much as I would have liked.

Awesome to see this community growing!!!

3 Likes

Hi, another new/old member from that other site. Long time T1D, diagnosed at age 5, in the days when caring for diabetes meant just one injection/day (lente), urine checks, and a few more doctor visits than my siblings. But other than that not much changed for me for the first 20 years. Even completed college while doing just one injection per day, and went on a 6 week trip to Europe, before starting my career. Eventually moved to a new city/endo and started NPH/R ‘mdi’, and BG testing, but taught to use the Exchange diet/plan rather than carb counting. That only was taught to people who used the pump, so they could use the ‘wizard’ ! People without the pump just weren’t capable of that complex concept.

Currently using MM523 pump and Dexcom G4. Started using MM Softset CGMS in 2007, and found the online communities due to frustrations with using it. So I guess I can thank MM for it’s not so great CGMS back then. I did learn about ISIG, and that helped a bit, but still found tremendous improvement when switching to Dexcom in 2011. I also started using Afrezza, but not covered by insurance, so use it primarily for corrections.

Been lurking for a couple weeks, hope to join in with some of the interesting conversations I’ve seen !

6 Likes

@MM2 Welcome! Great to see you here. We all have a lot to learn from “Ancient Mariners”, even us other Ancient Mariners :wink:. Looking forward to your posts!

Be sure to add your years to our Combined Years page.

1 Like

Hey, welcome here. Not sure if I know you from the other site, but the name seems familiar. Same name over there? It may take a while for the light bulb to turn on in my head

But welcome, nonetheless!

1 Like

I am MM1 over ‘there’.

1 Like

Oh, I remember now. A post about strips I think.

Anyway, welcome here! Lotsa fun.

1 Like

So glad you joined us here!

Lisa

1 Like

Welcome old timer! All bow to the King! :smiley:

Much respect for living with diabetes for so long and still having your sense of humor about you. Looking forward to learning a lot from you in the months and years to come!

1 Like

Hey all, I recently stumbled here. The vibes are good and I am already learning so much from lurking that I plan to stick around. I am new to the D life (Feb this year) and …dealing. I was expecting heart problems (a lot of genetic garbage in that dept) and feeling like my warranty had run out after a couple of rough physical/health years. I was just getting back to normal when this sucker punch happened. After getting over feeling like a failure at life (all the awful propaganda about D I believed!), and being extremely motivated to never stick myself with a needle, I jumped in with both feet determined to change the numbers (that panicked my doctor) and “fix” the situation.

After a month of being terrified of food, eating carbless except for vegetables, taking medication and still having BGs too high during fasting times, I had to face the needle. My husband has been my champ through this whole process and even gave me the shot (low dose Levemir) every night while I worked on getting over that phobia.

Fast forward a few months…I am learning to celebrate the small victories, like two A1C tests in the 6’s after being almost 12 when I was diagnosed in February and managing my insulin injections without having panic attacks. I know just enough to know that there is a ton I still don’t know. I am learning to accept that this is life and I can choose to let every oddball reading freak me out and send me into a downward spiral of misery and self-blame, or I can accept that I am doing my best and trying my hardest. (This is a work in progress.)

I am currently working on a food/exercise/medication balance to keep my BG 140 (or under) at all times, so I am doing a lot of testing, even more than when I started. Thanks to these forums, I have found a lot of supply resources (this disease is expensive even with insurance!), advice and recipes to keep me motivated. I am learning more about myself and my body (really think I am borderline T1 – but tested for that) and am hoping to get more information and provide support to others when I can.

On a side-note, I am a sci-fi/fantasy fan, book-loving, documentary-addict, art-geek. I ride a motorcycle (when Michigan weather allows it), mentor a high-school robotics team, and sing really loud when driving–regardless of whether I am on my bike or in my car. Normally I am a pretty positive person, but the last 6 months have taught me a lot of humility (and empathy) in that department. I think it was a good lesson. At least that is how I have decided to take it.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Annette13 ! That is no small victory!

3 Likes