Welcome, introduce yourself here!

@cardamom - Welcome and glad you’ve joined us!!

1 Like

Hi! I’m Kelsey, 24, and I live in central Illinois. I was diagnosed with type 1 about ten years ago. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first. Being pregnant while t1d is hard and expensive! Thankful to have a diabetic community! :slight_smile: If anybody would like to follow my life on Insta, it’s @kelsploz <3

9 Likes

Hi Kelsey!
Glad you could join us!

Here is the thread I mentioned on TuD, about filling your own pens, which is cheaper:

And there are a bunch of threads on buying from Canada. @Michel keeps the FUD house in proper order, and he knows where all the Canadian pharmacy threads are, but here are a few:

https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/foreign-drug-import-is-now-legal-discussion-thread

If anyone knows all the threads on cheaper insulin, please share with Kelsey.

2 Likes

Hi Kelsey, welcome to the community!!! Congrats on your pregnancy, this is SO exciting! The births of my boys were such life-changing events for us:-)

I will be by a computer tonight and will gather all the cheap insulin threads in a single wiki post so you can access them all!

2 Likes

Welcome @kelsploz !!!

2 Likes

Welcome @kelsploz! Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy.

We have a T1 pregnancy expert over here @walkingthedragon88. Hopefully she’ll chime in.

See her post at Type 1 and pregnancy

3 Likes

Welcome! So excited for you!! My first little is almost 7 months now - times flies!! I hear you, it is expensive - I am still paying off the care and birth :open_mouth: I hope everything goes well during your last few weeks and excited to see pics! I blog at walkthedragon88.blogspot.com :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome, Kelsey! So glad to have you with us, and congrats on being so close to welcoming your sweet baby! Do you have a CGM to help you?

1 Like

Thank you! I unfortunately do not have a CGM. Just a glucose monitor. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll be paying off my doctor bills for quite some time for this pregnancy! lol, but it’s worth it. I’ll check your blog out! <3

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much!! :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome @kelsploz! If you are looking for cost saving ideas, this is definitely the right place to look.

3 Likes

Very nice to meet you, @kelsploz, and welcome! The best part about diabetes (the silver lining) is the great communities that exist out there and this is among the best in my biased opinion! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi. Single Dad with T1 teenage daughter. A1C range in the 7’s and 8’s. ER diagnosis after she was critical. Manual injections for the first year. Switched to a pump. Added the Dexcom the next year but sometimes it gets worn and sometimes not. Currently switching to the Tandem X2. Very excited for the Tandem roadmap/upgrades and G5 integration. Enjoy listening about other’s experiments but not adventurous enough to try anything experimental or unsupported on my daughter. A handful of additional diagnoses. We go to a US nationally rated Hospital where she gets excellent medical care.

I would rather have real advice/conversation than it all just being RAH RAH RAH.

5 Likes

What is your current pump?

Animas Ping. We like it.

We have a very similar story. Critical at diagnosis, injections for first year, Tandem X2 after that. Dexcom, ours gets worn 95% of the time. My son (14) manages his care at this point, with input from his mom and I. A1c’s in the 7’s and 8’s, would like to have better control, but my son is in control at this point. Really like the X2.

Looking forward to the conversation.

1 Like

@Thomas, how old is your daughter? @Chris’s son is 14, mine is 12, and @rgcainmd’s daughter is 14.

Having my daughter control as much as possible (except nightime) is very important. My goal is for her to be entirely self-sufficient when it is time for her to go to college. Without me needing to be the RA. The planned upgrades to the Tandem X2 will hopefully make that a reality including nighttime.

My daughter is in High School with still enough time left for Tandem to roll the upgrades out.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, @Thomas! I’m parent to a T1 toddler so I’ll definitely benefit from your future comments pertaining to children when they reach that age, managing their own diabetes, and the lessons you learn as you all find new insights.

Very nice to meet you.