UK approves gene editing therapy for sickle cell and thallasemia

It looks like there could be a cure to thallasemia through stem cell gene editing. Trials showed normal hemoglobin for up to a year. It uses the Crispr gene editing process where a patient’s corrected stem cells are injected back into the patient’s bone marrow. I wonder if this process could work in T1 diabetes someday? … Casgevy: UK approves gene-editing drug for sickle cell - BBC News

1 Like

In my opinion the number one issue in developing a cure for type 1 is finding a way to reprogram or fool the immune system. The production of Beta cells from stem cells is already a reality. Just like with a pancreas transplant the T cells will identify, target and kill the replacement cells.

On the plus side this problem may be solved. For us with type 2 insulin resistant DM, any kind of gene editing is probably impossible as the genetic variants are ubiquitous, living in every cell of the body’s DNA code.

Perhaps they could clone me a new body minus those variants and transfer by consciousness and memories into the new healthy body. Oh and they could give me some of the athleticism of an elite bicyclist. :blush: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, you are right, diabetes is complicated!!

2 Likes

Only in humans (or primates, more appropriately). They’ve cured diabetes a thousand times over in mice! Lol

1 Like