Trying out R+NPH, an experiment: tips from old pros please?

You were using them in a different era, with different tools, and different technologies. Really don’t need the negativity…

Why would these technologies be available if you lost your job?

What exactly is the point of this exercise but to prove that you would be better at doing this than everyone else here who has experienced it?

2 Likes

This is a really good point—using a CGM isn’t actually a good test of what it would be like if you lost insurance, since if you can’t afford to buy modern insulins, you probably can’t afford a CGM out of pocket either. That said, the question of whether R/NPH is workable in the content of other modern technology is a different and also interesting question.

Yes, I could personally afford these technologies if I lost my job. However with my current program I really don’t value them enough to pay for them myself… the point is to show that it’s a workable option

It’s honeslty pretty insulting. Feel free to prove to yourself that it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to YOU. Let’s note that nearly everyone else on this site that has used these insulins has said that this would be a really big deal.

1 Like

It is beyond bizarre that you would be insulted by me challenging myself to try an older insulin that you used decades ago. If it’s insulting you don’t have to participate in the thread.

That’s like me saying Lantus sucks and being insulted by someone switching from tresiba which works better to Lantus

Correction. I’ve been there and don’t see it as a big deal. I know people in the UK that use them and prefer them. Please don’t speak for “everyone.”

I said “nearly everyone” specifically because of your post. I did not intend to group you into anything. I’m sorry if that’s how it felt.

I don’t think it’s that you’re doing this that’s the issue; I think it will be an interesting experiment. I think it’s some of how you talk about it though that rubs some people (including at times me) the wrong way. It seems very dismissive of others’ actual experiences (and also like an odd position to take with the degree of confidence you seem to) to presume that what we are describing is not a big deal without having had any experience of it yet yourself.

It’s not that you want to try R/NPH. It’s that you’ve made it very clear that our experiences count for nothing.

Oh my, I get the shivers remembering that. It was tons easier to just ignore the fact that one had diabetes, which, except for giving the same injections every day, is pretty much what I did for a couple of decades.

1 Like

And so going well out of my way to share that experience is insulting?

1 Like

I usually have a 6-12 month supply of CGM supplies, so I could lay that long. Don’t most people stock up?

I think about it, I have a good years worth of Omnipod pods too. And a supply of short acting insulin, despite being an Afrezzs user.

But I digress…

Thereby stating that anything we’ve experienced otherwise is irrelevant.

Heh. I pretty much eat like this now.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Stockpiling Dexcom G5 transmitters: how long do they last?

I disagree that @Sam is saying that. Implying he is saying that makes you dismissive of those of us who have experienced it successfully.

Again, I think you are misconstruing the point. I’m quite sure the experiment itself isn’t what’s rubbing people the wrong way at all. It’s the way you respond to people’s descriptions of what was hard with saying that it doesn’t actually sound that bad, etc, that is what’s insulting some folks. And yes, maybe it wasn’t that bad for some people. But it’s a fairly confidently dismissive tone to take for someone who hasn’t actually done said experiment yet.

1 Like

I’m confused about what you’re saying. It worked well, but the routine impacted your quality of life? So you decided to switch?

Maybe that’s why it works reasonably painlessly for you? Fixed schedules are not possible in our lives. Unless, of coruse, your life depends on it. Then anything becomes possible :slight_smile:

3 Likes