Losing job/insurance and the options that follow

Gads. Time to put my foot in my mouth and support @Sam a bit … Seems like he is on his own here :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d cancel the cable TV, but I would switch before canceling my internet… maybe even if I had to cancel internet, cell phone, etc.

Me too. And I developed it after 15 years on an insulin pump. So I can’t tie that to NPH/R, which I did relatively well on for the first 1/2 of my life. Exceptionally well, in fact. It was just that I had to follow a specific routine that did not work well for me in the long term. A pump was a better option, but the Humulin/Novolin was awful for me. Everyone’s mileage varies with every treatment.

I do know people who use beef/pork insulins (outside the US), as well as NPH.

In a 2016 market research study by Boston University, they said:

Glargine vs. NPH
All identified studies found no significant differences in HbA1c concentration after treatment
_with glargine compared to NPH. _
Detemir vs. NPH
None of the identified studies showed a significant difference in HbA1c concentration between
detemir and NPH treatment groups.

Meh - it is more like things are priced to the country and ability to pay. We in the US/Canda get to pick up the slack on the cost. I did see a post in another thread about Tresiba in Russia. It was funny to me, as they price it per milliliter, and not per box. I think the ad had 100 rubles per ml (about $15 USD). However, I have priced it there back in September '17 - it would cost me $300 per box. Humulog would cost me about $67 per vial.

But then there far more insulin producing companies in Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America versus high income countries (Again, see that Boston U report).

Just my $0.02 +/- worth.

1 Like