Travel Bag Recommendations

Thanks for the comments. You’re spot on about the sugar, I was thinking of a measured dose…I try to minimize the rollercoaster by not eating more than needed to correct a low, but any port in a storm!

2 Likes

That’s me, if I don’t do measured treatment of a hypo I find that I over do it. Eating until you feel better is a sure way to turn a hypo into a hyper. Glucose tablets are the way for me, and I find they work better by drinking some plain water after chewing and swallowing.

2 Likes

I live and bicycle in S. Central Texas where it can get very hot. I carry an insulated case with cool pack and 2 pens in my jersey pocket. When the sun is on my back the case warms up. Without the cool pack that direct sun on the case could raise the temperature to 120° F. I made an outer insulated case to put the other one in. This has worked well on 2 to 3 hour rides.

I just don’t think 120° F is good for insulin.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the feedback, whether “no need for cooling” or “what/how to keep cool.” I decided on a small case off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHGP98X?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details); came with two small removable gel packs and a smaller pen/vial/etc holder. If I leave one/both gel packs out, there’s enough room for two pens (MDI currently), a Next One meter, strip container, and a Baqsimi. I also have a Frio two-pen pack to try, if for no other reason than easy ID amongst all things carried in bags. May use my wife’s shoulder bag or a small shoulder pack for carrying “stuff” for the crew. Thanks for all comments!

4 Likes

That is the exact case that I use for my pens. I only use one of the cool packs in the left side. I am always pushing the True Metrix GO meter because of it’s small size and that it locks on to the strip vial lid.

I carry two cases wherever I go. The other one has glucose tablets, meter, lancets and device, pencil and pad, peanut butter crackers and a Kind bar.

I repurposed a plastic pencil box that would fit in my center cycling jersey pocket.

There is room in this case for a couple of syringes. I did that before I went to pens.

4 Likes

@CarlosLuis I’ve always been intrigued by the meter-in-a-cap devices, but haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet, though different accuracies are admittedly small. I think the Contour’s were one of the first that could be dl’d to a computer and wireless to boot…appealed to my inner geekness! And the Contour Next One is good for size and accuracy! Of course, then I switched to a Mac, vice PC, and the whole game changed; very few meter software supported/support Mac. Sorry, going off topic here…

3 Likes

You betcha, @TomH we are an Apple household, iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. I know about the lack of connectivity with some devices. I have a thing called PowerPod for my bike that gives power readings and other metrics. When I got the MacBook Pro which is 64 bit iirc, I had to do 4 or 5 downloads which had to be installed in a very particular order. I miss a step and had to restore my laptop to an earlier image - No Mulligans allowed.

2 Likes

Holy hell that is quite the penalty. I love apple for my phone and the watch my son has used to stay on top of his bg, but I can’t make the switch for my laptops, exactly because of issues like this, plus the Apple penalty of every cool software I have already purchased is 2X+ when you buy it for a Macbook Pro.

2 Likes