Training Peaks shows CGM data

Training Peaks is an online training application used by athletes and coaches. There is a somewhat unknown (and not well-documented) feature that Training Peaks has. It lets you populate your Dexcom CGM data into your workout.

The cool thing about it is that someone at Training Peaks has a diabetic child, so they put this feature in there, kind of off-the-radar. :grinning:

Here is an example of an easy LSD I did, with some notes about it below:

• There are a lot of things you can graph. In the one shown above I am doing pace (green), heart rate (red), and cadence (yellow), plus CGM data (blue dots). It takes a few miles for HR monitor to settle out, so the first few miles always look wonky.

• Because there are different things on the graph, there is no set scale for CGM. In the picture above it looks like it was a horrible BG rollercoaster, but in actuality there was only a swing of 13 points for the entire run (between 60 and 73). So you can’t just look at the picture without interpreting the dots. No matter how big or small the BG swing is, it will use the full vertical scale just like shown above. Not ideal, but just something you have to get used to.

• This is not real-time CGM data while you are working out. There is a 3 hour delay to get the data populated (that’s the deal Dexcom has with letting Apple Health use the data). So you can’t use it while running, but you can use it afterward to assess what happened and how you did.

• The CGM data is shown only for the time that happened when you were working out, which is convenient.

• Because it uses Apple Health for the data, it is only displayed on your phone, not on the Training Peaks computer app.

• You can read each CGM value by hovering over it, just like when you use your iPhone for the Dexcom values.

• It is not extremely well-documented. But it is not difficult to setup Just a few steps I can go through if anyone wants to sign up for TP and try it out.

Anyway, I don’t use it personally. To me the BG numbers are better than the CGM, but if anyone wants to try it out lemme know. The image above shows what it looks like.

Have run!

4 Likes

This is pretty darn cool. I am going to have a good lopok at it. Thanks, @Eric!

1 Like

Oh awesome! I’ve been on training peaks for years and never knew about that… I only look at it when I’m actually training / planning since Strava is my casual log but it all syncs. Now I can actually go back and look at particular workouts! Awesome!

Ok figured it out. Here’s one! There is a scale for the cgm data to the far right.

4 Likes

Yeah, undocumented feature, huh?!

Glad you got it figured out.

1 Like

Thats very cool! How do you get the CGM data to integrate into training peaks? I can see my dexcom date in Apple health. I have apple health paired to training peaks however I cannot see my CGM date in training peaks graph. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD @socalcyclist!

1 Like

Thank you! Glad I found this forum!

2 Likes

Hi @socalcyclist. Welcome to FUD!

It’s been a while since I have done this, so I am not 100% sure of the steps, but try this:

1. On your iPhone, open the Health app.

2. Tap your profile picture in the upper-right corner.

3. Under Privacy, tap Apps. Hopefully you see Training Peaks there in that list.

4. Turn on Blood Glucose in that list for Training Peaks.

It should look something like this:

Let me know if that works for you.

Keep in mind, this is not live data like you get on your Dexcom app. There is a lag between your CGM readings and when it is populated in the Training Peaks app. So this is only useful for post-workout analysis, not while you are exercising.

3 Likes

Wait, this is SO cool! Any idea how to do this on Android?

1 Like

Hi @eward. Welcome to FUD!
I am not sure how to get this working again. I did have it setup years ago, but I stopped running with my Dexcom, and now I am not sure where/how to get it going again.

I can mess around with it some more and see if I can figure it out.

But…just to point out - this is not live data. Like you can’t see it while running. It only populates the BG numbers after you have uploaded your run.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Eric!! Totally understand that this is not live data. I’m curious to look at things after the fact. (I look at HR and power from cycling routinely and am currently uploading screenshots of the t:connect app as attachments to each workout in Training Peaks…a bit inelegant. :rofl:) Think it is worth reaching out to TrainingPeaks about it? I’m happy to!

1 Like

@eward ,
If you can find out, that would be great!

The best I can recall, you had to just share your Health Settings on your phone to share health data with TP. Like I showed in the images directly above your post.

Maybe start with that, and see if it works. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Update! TrainingPeaks customer service confirmed that they do not support CGM data. I even tried to upload a .fit file with CGM data in it but it didn’t show up on the graph, unfortunately.

It IS possible to see Dexcom data in Garmin Connect by using the NightscoutData2 data field. (Trying to add a link directly to the data field but am getting an error.)

1 Like

I use Dexcom Garmin Data field a Garmin widget. BG will display on my bike computer but doesn’t record on Garmin Connect. I would like to see how BG relates to HR and power, just because.

1 Like

Use the NightscoutData2 NS xDrip+ CGM data field instead of the Garmin data field. Then record your rides as usual on your bike computer, and you should be able to see CGM data in Garmin Connect.

To get the NightscoutData2 data field to work, I had to install xDrip+ on my phone. (I did not want to uninstall the Dexcom app so used the Dex Share Follower hardware data source in xDrip+ and entered my Dexcom username/password to get it connected. I did not have to do any additional configuration to get my CGM data to show in xDrip or on my Garmin watch.)

1 Like

That would require a new phone. I have an iPhone. I’d go with an Android phone if I could get one as small as my phone.

When this phone dies that will be moot because iPhones are all huge now.

2 Likes

I have an old version xDrip+ on my Android and have a Garmin watch, but do not use a Garmin computer. Is it still possible to show BGs in Garmin Connect? What is the NightscoutData2 data field and how would i configure the BGs to display in Garmin Connect?

@CarlosLuis the iPhone SE is pretty small. I can fit it inside a small waist bag. I use it for DIY Loop so always have it with me.

1 Like

That’s what I have and want, but there are rumors that Apple was going to drop the SE in 2023. It does look like it is still available. This size is what works for me. Apple did away with it when it was the 5 iirc. There was an outcry by users and they brought out the SE 1st generations phone. Anyway I was able to transition from one to the other. I just don’t want to carry around a mini-tablet, especially on my bike rides.

I have always been an outrider. I always want what is useful to me and not what is trendy.

2 Likes

Yes, I used to use an Android for xDrip+ with the Sony SW3 standalone watch. So I could do my runs with only the watch since it communicated directly with Dexcom transmitter without the need for the phone. I switched to iPhone and watch to use Loop about 3+ years ago though, so chose the smallest iPhone at that time since I knew I would need to carry it on my runs and everywhere else! I started with the iPhone 5 and then upgraded to the SE 2nd gen when that came out. I sure hope Apple keeps the SE line!

3 Likes