The last two G6 sensors have stopped working after 10 days exactly using xDrip+, but didn't used to

9 days into my first 8G driven sensor and xDrip+ attempted to do the “preemptive restart”, this failed. The sequence of logged events go something like this (in order from the first written log):

12:42 Requesting preemptive session restart
12:42 Wrote Queue Message: Auto Stop Sensor
12:42 Operation Success: Completed: Auto Stop Sensor
12:42 New session start: 771682 for time: 2019-12-07 10:32:46 [This is apparently 2 hours 10 minutes before the real time; xDrip+ trying to fool the transmitter?]
12:42: Session Stoppped Successfully: 1969-12-31 16:00:00 [UNIX time zero converted to PST] 2019-12-07 10:32:46 [the same bogus time]
12:42 Operation Success: Completed: Auto Start Sensor
12:42 Received indication bytes: [omitted]
12:42 Status: Session Started Successfully: 2019-12-07 10:32:46 2019-12007 10:32:46 2019-12-07 12:42:47 12:42
[stuff]
12:42 Session start time reports: 2019-12-07 10:32:46 Duration: 2 hours [Faked times to skip the warm-up?]
[more stuff]
12:47 Received indication bytes: [omitted]
12:47 Native Sensor is now Stopped: Sensor Failed Start
12:47 Native Sensor is now marked FAILED: Sensor Failed Start
12:47 Status: Got data from G6 12:47

And that’s it, apparently totally dead. xDrip+ does keep talking to the transmitter, asking for backsies, but of course nothing happens.

So now I’ll activate a new sensor with the Dexcom receiver and see if it suffers the same pesky dropouts as xDrip+ does.

2 Likes

@jbowler: unfortunately preemtive restarts don’t work anymore thanks to a firmware “update” by Dexcom with the 8G+ transmitters.

Here are the recommended settings/detail information:
https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/EN/Configuration/xdrip.html#dexcom-specific-settings

3 Likes

Helpful, thank you, maybe not for the reasons you thought.

I’ve tried the settings before, but I did again even though it meant turning of “minimize scanning” which I have found to be helpful in high BT-noise environments. There’s also no discussion of the xDrip+ bluetooth settings, but maybe they don’t work at all; the bluetooth watchdog should work because I can resync xDrip+ by manually turning bluetooth off and on (in a non-noisy environment) but the watchdog, which is meant to do the same thing, does not work at all (well, it seems to turn the bluetooth off; I know because the Music stops :wink:

However, that said, the page says that my xDrip+ is out of date. It suggests I should use a nightly build, that makes me cringe, but maybe I will do so.

My newer G6 sensors will not go beyond 8 days now. They drop out for two hours, then work for an hour, then either die or only come back intermittently. So there is no need to restart. I hope Dexcom does not get FDA clearance to increase the official sensor use to 14 days. It seems to me that they have clearly changed something to shorten the sensor life.

What do Dexcom say? This sounds like a problem in the Dexcom receiver, not the sensor, and Dexcom have been going through some transmitter rev.s lately.

I don’t use a Dexcom receiver, just a Sony watch running xDrip+ and my Tandem pump as collectors.

When I replace the sensor everything works fine, so it is a sensor problem.

Dexcom will replace some of the sensors, depending on how many days I got out of them. I document that. They refuse to confirm that anything has changed.

1 Like

Ok, that makes a lot more sense; sub “it sounds like a problem in the Dexcom receiver” for “it sounds like a problem in the xDrip+ receiver”. For sure xDrip+ has problems with the newer Dexcom transmitters.

I have given up on xDrip+ (with the 8Gxxxx transmitters), others have too; see this thread:

or this one:

At this point so far as xDrip+ is concerned 8Gxxxx transmitters are DITW while the 8Hxxxx and 8Jxxxx (the last I received) are unknown quantities.

I think most of us have simply stopped using xDrip+; that’s based on the evidence of the people who have made definitive statements and have stated the transmitter versions they are using.

Without xDrip+ and having, reluctantly, swapped to an iPhone (cost $850) I do actually get totally reliably connectivity with the sensor, an 8Gxxxx transmitter and the Dexcom app on the thing. I never got that with xDrip+, even pre-8G. I do so miss the better UI with xDrip+, OOH I SO MISS THAT, now I have to be an intelligent user to cope with the interface, so iJohn here is feeling pretty annoyed. All the same, it does work, unlike other things I might mention.

Many people including me, have restarted with 8G transmitter. It does require removing transmitter from current sensor, waiting 30 minutes, then put transmitter back on old sensor and then start.

3 Likes

This has worked for me. 24 days on this sensor and counting.

1 Like

I admit I never tried that, but doesn’t it then require a 2 hour warm up (in addition to the 30 minutes?)

1 Like

Yes, it does require 2 hour wait on dexcom receiver or app. Sometimes I can get readings on xDrip with native mode off.

1 Like

So I’m better off just putting in a new sensor. That said, why not swap transmitters? That should skip the 30 minutes. I.e. run two transmitters in parallel and just swap between each sensor ‘restart’ (‘reuse’ is probably more appropriate.)

1 Like

“That said, why not swap transmitters? That should skip the 30 minutes.”

When you put in new (swap) transmitter, I think it will force a start new sensor and 2 hour wait.

1 Like

Do you mean given up on restarting transmitters? For day to day use I can’t imagine settling for the half-reporting of the Dexcom app after using xDrip+. My Endo uses the stats. But I can see recommending the Dexcom app to somebody who can’t deal with the tech side.

2 Likes

No, I never tried that. The issue was that xDrip+ became extremely unreliable for me with the revisions to fix the handling of the 8G transmitters; it always had suffered from regular drop-outs but I had been able to get xDrip+ to reconnect by setting the “minimize scanning” flag; scanning itself hardly ever worked because for some reason it was incredibly slow. I guess the problem is not the transmitters, rather it is whatever changed inside xDrip+.

Anyway, I turned the Dexcom receiver back on and observed that it was fairly reliable so I gave up on xDrip+.

Yes, the UI sucks, but it works.

1 Like

I also had issues with restarting sensors with 8G transmitters. But today installed later version of xDrip and then was able to restart sensor on 8G. Which is great because I just received a new 8G, was hoping it would be 8H.

1 Like

how do you install the latest version of xdrip?

1 Like

I’ve had one 8G, one 8H and one 8J. Manufacture dates:

8G: 20190805
8H: 20191014
8J: 20191212

Performance of the 8G has been flawless with the Dexcom app on an iPhone XR except that the app started complaining it wasn’t supported after Apple had me upgrade to iOS 13.3.1 to fix a bug in their security stuff.

SugarMate works fine on the iPhone and gives some stats, but it relies on Dexcom Share so it needs an internet connection to make the predictive alarms work (a definite minus over xDrip+!) UnderMyFork doesn’t do alarms but it uses Apple Health to get the blood sugar readings, unfortunately the Dexcom app communication with Apple Health seems to be flakey. None of these support sensor restart of course.

1 Like

Has anyone had an 8K transmitter yet? That’s what I got with my first Dexcom prescription. Does it allow a restart without removing the transmitter as with the 8H?

Is there any comparative info available on the 8G through the 8K other than the 8H seemingly allowing a restart without removing the transmitter?

I haven’t tried that yet with my 8K after I originally saw on YouTube that all 2020 transmitters disabled the old method of restarting.

Also, I haven’t started with xDrip+ on either my Pixel 2XL nor my 3XL. (I’m skipping the 4XL in the hope that 5G comes along on the 5XL - it would only make numerical marketing sense!)

One last question… I saw somewhere the mention of an issue for either the Dexcom G6 or xDrip+ with Android v10. I don’t recall what the issue was, but does anyone know if the three products behave well together now?

1 Like