The 75 Year Joslin Medal

This is amazing! After the past 3 weeks of immense emotional rollercoasters and non stop confusion(still no actual answers), this made me cry in a good way! You’re inspiring and I thank you!
I would love to read your book! Would you be able to give me the name?

2 Likes

@Daisydenae, thanks for your reply. The Amazon link for my book was given to PegE. Look at that post above your post.

Congratulations to Richard and having 75 years as a type one. I am almost 56 years now because I was 14 when discovered and I’m closing in on 70. I have almost 20 years before I can get the 75 year award! I’m feeling pretty good and hopefully I’ll make it those 20 more years to 90! Dave

6 Likes

You are a major inspiration @Richard157 thanks! I’m behind you, but coming up this October on my 50.

3 Likes

@Richard157 Truly Amazing for a guy who the doctors at the time said would only live another few years! Boy, did you fool them.

5 Likes

@docslotnick, children diagnosed in the 1940s were not expected to live beyond their teen years. I’m glad my parents and I did not know that back then. It was not until I was 30 that I found that information. I was old enough then to be able to cope with it. I was finished with college, employed. married and with two sons. My life was set, and I was very healthy. I was not worried about dying, not at all.

9 Likes

I’m enjoying your book, Richard! I am so thankful we now have better tools than urine testing. I only had to do that for a couple of years after my diagnosis. Glad you had such a caring family watching out for your lows with you, growing up.

4 Likes

I was born in SW VA also and grew up around Dublin, Fairlawn and Radford. Family lives all around there now from Roanoke to Pulaski. Small world.

4 Likes

Congratulations on living with T1 this long. Even more so for being a pioneer and ground breaker for those of us more recently diagnosed! I hope you’ve already received one of the vaccines, the ceremony goes forward, and you plan to go!

3 Likes

Hello @TomH, I had both shots of the vaccine. I feel much more at ease in public now. I still wear a mask and stay at a safe distance so I will protect the people who have not been vaccinated.
How about you? Have you had your vaccine yet?

4 Likes

Yes, I just got my 2nd dose on Friday. Wife gets hers Thursday. We count ourselves fortunate as many friends don’t as yet, but hopefully soon! As a recent T1, I’m inspired by you! Stay well!

4 Likes

My wife gets her second dose on April 1…that is April Fools Day. She is not superstitious, so we will be there that day.
I have neighbors who do not intend to get the vaccine. They are much younger than us.

1 Like