The 75 Year Joslin Medal

I received my Joslin 75 year medal on August 10. I will not complete 75 years of Type 1 until September 15, so I have received the medal early. Several days ago I mailed a copy of my book to Joslin. It gave a thorough description of the days leading up to my diagnosis in 1945. I think the book may have given the needed proof for my 75 years.

Dr. King, Director of Research and Founder of the 50-Year Medalist Study sent me this message:

“We honor those with long duration type 1 diabetes by hosting a Medalist gathering every other year. The next celebration will be in 2021. I hope to have the opportunity to meet and personally honor you at this meeting.”

The Medalist meetings are usually held in May. I would love to attend that meeting, but I am concerned about being there in a crowd, and the virus. Maybe things will be more safe at that time?

22 Likes

Wow! Way to go! You are a trailblazer for all of us. Congrats Richard!

:star_struck:

5 Likes

Congratulations!! :heart::sunflower:

5 Likes

Way to go! You are an inspiration to all those out there like my son, Liam, that it’s something he can aspire too! #trailblazer!

5 Likes

Truly amazing and inspiration for us all @Richard157! Congratulations and WOW, just WOW!

6 Likes

That’s great! Congrats, Richard!

5 Likes

Congratulations!!! :medal_sports: This is an amazing milestone. I hope you do, indeed, get the opportunity to participate in the medal ceremony next May!!

6 Likes

Congratulations!! That’s really awesome :ok_hand:!!

4 Likes

What an amazing milestone! Congratulations @Richard157 !!!

5 Likes

Your posts always make me smile @Richard157. Thank you for being so inspiring. I can imagine when you were diagnosed that no one would have expected you’d be getting a medal 75 years later! I’m so happy your years of perseverance are being recognized.

6 Likes

@Richard157 Congratulations, Richard! You’re such an inspiration to me and to so many others! Thank you for being you and helping us all!

5 Likes

Really amazing accomplishment @Richard157. I always look forward to your posts. Thank you, and I hope there is a vaccine prior to the next meeting so you can feel safe attending and celebrating.

4 Likes

Well done and well deserved, @Richard157.

I guess that “a cure is five years away” is a bit overdue for you, eh?

4 Likes

Chris, if there is no effective vaccine before May, 2021, I think the Joslin Medalist meeting will be postponed, maybe for a year.

There are almost 6000 50 year medalists, and an ever increasing number of 75 year medalists. There are a few 80 year medalists, too.

11 Likes

Wonderful! Congratulations Richard.

3 Likes

Congratulations Richard ! Amazing.

1 Like

Congratulations Richard!!

1 Like

Congratulations, Richard!!!
You probably already posted a link to your book, but could you please do so again? I have a friend who is almost to 75 years.

2 Likes

Hi @PegE, here is the link. The book covers the first 64 years after my diagnosis in 1945.
https://www.amazon.com/Beating-Odds-Years-Diabetes-Health/dp/1450515967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268873383&sr=1-1

2 Likes

Truly amazing. Congratulations.

1 Like