Tandem Pump Update 2022

Just received this via email today and thought I would share as many here use Tandem pumps. If you have a Tandem pump, check your email and your pump version number to see if you might be affected…

If you are affected, there is a pump update available in the Tandem portal for all in warranty pumps.

3 Likes

I guess I’m OK with ver 7.6.0.1 with C-IQ

1 Like

@CarlosLuis, you are. The recall affects those of us still on Moonlight

1 Like

I just got a weird recall notice for my Nissan Frontier. Park may fail, we don’t have a fix or know whether your vehicle has the problem. Always engage the hand brake when parking.

I always do set the brake.

2 Likes

Many people don’t, and rely on the transmission only - why I don’t know. Belt and suspenders people. Belt and suspenders.

1 Like

I got that as well. Doing the second training thing now.

1 Like

And I’m out of warranty as well. Wonder if it will really let me finish it all and update?

1 Like

Inquiring minds would like to know @Hammer . Do tell if you don’t mind please.

I’m still in warranty and and had planned on doing a set change tonight regardless so I am going to try and update tonight.

Best of luck @Hammer !

Well, even out of warranty (since April), it let me update my pump!
I guess it was a high enough level threat that they let me update?

I don’t mind the cartridge change, but restarting my sensor is the PITA I don’t like. I understand it, but meh.

1 Like

Interesting…It’s presented as a safety hazard and you should update NOW! When you go to update, it’s a feature update that needs an Rx. Whatever…I’ll wait. If it’s really such a hazard to my safety then I won’t actually need an Rx.

1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t really make sense.
I didn’t have a RX or referral, etc.
I’ll take it though. I have had a few emails about them wanting me to update, or at least send a recognition email to basically clear them of liability.
I was surprised it took me to the train then update process without issues.

Still not sure how I want to, or IF I want to bolus from my phone, but I do like how it keeps track of boluses on the app.
Maybe I will try out the bolus feature soon to see if I think it’s worth it.

It’s forcing me to get an Rx for a feature I have no intention of using. I’ll stay on 7.4 until they force me to update, especially as I don’t have any of the issues listed.

1 Like

Maybe the difference is that I was on 7.3.1.1 and not 7.4? Maybe I had a bigger risk factor?
Who knows, but it worked for me.I guess I will take that for a win.

I have remote bolused a few times now.
I am much faster using my pump, but it could be convenient to bolus without digging for my pump while dressed up, etc.

1 Like

I got that email too. I have Moonlight v7.3.1 so I think I’m ok? I haven’t done any updates since ControlIQ came out!

1 Like

The warranty is for the hardware. The rules for software are ah hoc and clearly not defined in the law of any country. I regularly update the software on hardware that is 10 or more years old. Microsoft has faced heat for not continuing to maintain software that is 20 years old and that they have offered upgrades for free for in the intervening years. They want to simply stop maintaining it; it is 200% out of any warranty that anyone ever got.

Your judgement is better than theirs in this case; are you threatened by any of the four possible failure scenarios. Like loud beeps, a “fluctuation [creating] confusion in the user”, or the battery in the pump going flat because you sat on the touch screen?

The actual reason they want to do the update, based on reading the screen shot you posted, is hilariously reminiscent of the Dead Parrot sketch. Apparently the pump can go into “pining mode”. I mean seriously; read it. It really does say “pining” (2:05 in if you aren’t patient).

Whatever. Stops doing closed loop, doesn’t tell you; it’s pining for the fjords.

2 Likes

Love the Python reference!

And maybe helps you join the choir invisible…lol

Btw, love the Monty Python reference! Kudos to @Hammer for pointing it out first :rofl::+1:

I updated without a new rx. Apparently the rx you got to start using Control IQ is still valid. Told me to update my updater program first. Training took longer than I expected, but discovered that I had bluetooth turned on and it was reducing battery life. The update went smoothly. Added some insulin to my cart and put it back in. Dexcom session continued, with numbers on my BlueJay watch, and started right up after the update without a wait. I don’t use the app and doubt that I will ever bolus from my phone, but thanks to @elver we know they are fixing a number of bugs.

3 Likes

I got as far as the quiz and then the bubbles danced across the screen for about 40 min. Never made it to the quiz. I think I’ll have to begin again.
Of course sensor change in the AM, so maybe I’ll try again now that is late enough for the east coast to be dropping off for the night.

Is this mode like C-IQ, that you can turn it off and revert to “old school” mode? Or can you go back to C IQ?

Like the transition to C IQ, i find it intimidating to just launch it.

Wouldn’t have to worry about finding my Revel pockets tucked all up in there to dose. It’s funny that you have to go to the pump to stop an alarm though. That seems like a flaw.
Good luck, everyone.

1 Like