T2D adding GLP-1 receptor agonists to usual drug regimen were somewhat (18%) less likely to suffer a first-time heart attack or stroke in coming years

“Head-to-head study finds which diabetes meds are best for the heart” from U.S. News & World Report summarizes a recent VA study that found Veterans with diabetes who added drugs called GLP-1 receptor agonists to their usual regimen were somewhat less likely to suffer a first-time heart attack or stroke in coming years, compared with Veterans taking other diabetes medications. Veterans on GLP-1 drugs were 18% less likely to suffer first time heart problems or stroke versus those on a DPP-4 drug, and those taking SGLT2 medications showed no heart or stroke benefit.

I’m Type 1, but also on Metformin and Semaglutide, so this is good news to me.

Full article here:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M22-2751

3 Likes

@bwschulz

I’m long-time T1 and just curious, do you mind sharing why you are taking both Metformin and Semaglutide?

I don’t know it this is true for @bwschulz, but there are some type 1s who are blesssed (???) with the same genetic variant of type 2. They have to deal with insulin resistance that in abnormal. By taking Metformin or other type 2 drugs can be helpful, decreasing the amount of insulin needed and improving management.

The common name for this is double diabetes.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/double-diabetes.html#:~:text=Double%20diabetes%20is%20when%20someone,resistance%20can%20be%20reduced%20somewhat.

2 Likes

Kind of what @CarlosLuis said- mostly insulin resistance. I’ve been on Metformin forever and I recently changed the timing of my evening dose to be just before bedtime to counteract an overnight rise in blood sugar I would otherwise get around 3AM. I tried Semaglutide recently because my overall insulin resistance has been increasing and I was hoping it would also help me lose weight. It seems to be helping with both of those goals so far. Not huge effects, but noticeably better. My insulin works more predictably and consistently and I’ve dropped 8lbs so far.

5 Likes

That’s great news.

2 Likes

I guess I am too late to edit this answer. I think the more accepted name for double diabetes is type1 diabetes with insulin resistance.

1 Like

And to confuse things even more…

My Mom is T2, oral meds only. Now 92. Was diagnosed with ALZ several years ago.

I have had T1D 58 years, and recently dx with mild ALZ. But new treatments are becoming available.

4 Likes