Recently-diagnosed T1D patients taking Verapamil required less daily insulin and had immunomodulatory benefits

I’m on an ACE inhibitor (Lisinopril) for BP control now. Maybe this is a good reason to switch over to this calcium channel blocker to do the same thing if its got other benefits.

Full article here- Exploratory study reveals far reaching systemic and cellular effects of verapamil treatment in subjects with type 1 diabetes | Nature Communications

Note that this is a continuation/extension of a 2018 study that joshualevy previously posted here- Results from a Phase-II Verapamil Trial

4 Likes

I have been on low dose Lisinopril for years because it protects kidney function. I found that this drug appears to do that as well.

Effect of Verapamil on Kidney Function Using Radionuclide Imaging

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/495617

1 Like

I’ve been on Lisinopril for a couple of years - it’s one of the most prescribed drugs in the US.

I developed the “lisinopril cough” - a dry cough that is a well-documented side effect of Lisinopril.

So my pcp prescribed Losartan which is supposed to be the same except without the cough. Just started it last week.

2 Likes

@bostrav59 You’re aware of the Losartan recall + lawsuits?

I was taking low doses of losartan and it was pulled from the market last year in Canada (now taking the similar Candesartan).

2 Likes

Thanks @Jim_YYC - I had not been aware of this until you pointed it out, so appreciate the link.

It seems like the issue is one of contaminated manufacturing, not an issue with the compound itself. Did I read that right or am I missing something?

If it’s contaminated manufacturing, it should be okay to take it now, no?

1 Like

@bostrav59 All the manufacturers in Canada withdrew their products from the market, there was some question as to contaminated precursors.

I’ve still got another 30 days of the substitute drug left so I’m not aware of the current availability of Losartan.

All of this info was via pharmacists - they’re far more up to speed on these things than many doctors.

2 Likes

I’m a little late to the party, but:
@bwschulz Thanks, I’ll have to put this on my question list, like several others, I’ve been on low dose Lisinopril since diagnosis as T2 to protect kidneys from HBP.

@bostrav59 If its a manufacture issue, it may be ok to continue today; re the Canadian’s pulling it may be because once a drug gets story going about it, manufactures seem to pull the name and put out as something else with a slight molecular change.

1 Like