T:slim X2 Insulin Pump Approved in Canada

Well finally the t:slim X2 Insulin Pump is approved in Canada. Reports say that a province by province roll out will occur “this quarter”.

Sorry all the links that I have on the story come from financial pages… none from the medical community.

@Jen is it time for a new pump?

2 Likes

It definitely is! I’ve been getting annoyed with my Ping lately (three and a half years out of warranty), which means it’s time.

I’m hoping my endocrinologist will be able to fill out whatever forms are needed when I see him in a few weeks.

I would also still like to see it before making a final decision, just in case the screen is way too small for me to see/use.

2 Likes

Try the simulator app. If you think it would still help for an actual in-person demo, we could probably arrange that.

1 Like

Ooh! I have tried to download this in the past and failed because I couldn’t switch to the US App Store without a US credit card. But I wonder if it’ll now be available in the Canadian App Store? I’ll check it out for sure. (But wouldn’t the size of the font on the app depend on the size of your phone? I have an iPhone SE, so it does have the smaller screen, but I expect the font in the app would be bigger for someone with an iPhone 7 Plus or similar larger screen?)

1 Like

@Jen
I can hook you up with a US credit card. (For real - not a big deal.)
:slight_smile:
(Never even knew there was a difference in credit cards country to country.)

We will also download the simulator ourselves and compare it side-by-side (on an iPhone 7) to the actual pump and will let you know how close it looks. (I am not an Apple guru so have no idea how an iPhone 7 compares to the SE.)

With the recent Canadian approval of the X2, if the simulator is not available to download in Canada, my suggestion would be to call in to Tandem Support during normal business hours (24 x 7 is available for technical support but not non-tech support such as this sort of thing) and ask how to download it for you from within Canada.

3 Likes

@Jen
Bah.
:frowning:
We just tried the simulator and it didn’t work for us. The simulator kept crashing trying to open it. Tandem does list anything specific about iOS compatibility but my guess is maybe the simulator is not compatible with iOS 12?

1 Like

Oh, that could be. My phone is still iOS 11, I think. So I’ll give it a try later today and see if It’s in the Canadian App Store or whether I can access it from the US one somehow.

1 Like

I was at the Friends for Life conference in Niagara Falls this past weekend and spoke with the Tandem rep. It’s a pretty nifty unit, and sneaky Jen Hanson (who runs CIM … http://www.connectedinmotion.ca/ ) … has been wearing one for past few years (she had gone to see an American doctor - and bing bang boom … t:slim all the way).

One thing, if you’re a whiz kid … she let it sneak out as we were packing up on Sunday that you’ll be able to Loop with it soon.

I’m hoping next week to finally get to finish up on my interview with the Canadian GM of Ypsomed ( https://www.mylife-diabetescare.com/en/products/infusion-systems/mylife-ypsopump.html ), which is a Swiss based company that’s been in the pump business for awhile and do the touchy feeling thing with it, along with both of us practicing how far we can spit balls out of a Bic pen (I like to make the folks I interview feel more relaxed as I drill them with questions). Their Ypsopump is going to also be approved soon. So we Canadians will be slightly ahead then the USA is at the moment with another pump to consider going to if we use an Animas still.

FatCatAnna from Cornwall, Ontario

3 Likes

Please say more. Is this just a statement about the Control-IQ algorithm due out next summer, or is it a hint about cooperating with Tidepool-LOOP, or are they planning to release documentation on their protocol over bluetooth so that LOOP and openAPS can use the pump?

2 Likes

I can’t answer that question bkh … but if you maybe go check out Jen Hanson … Connected in Motion on Facebook - you might be able to get the answers to your questions above. Sorry. I’d ask for you, but work is so crazy right now with this month being all about diabetes, my time in online forums is sadly limited as I’m dealing with people IRL this month (they come first :wink: )

1 Like