System removing quotes and therefore context

This autoedit:

system just now — Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.

is a PITA; I had to go back in and edit the comment to include the context. I guess I could start a reply by manually typing in a paraphrase of the previous post. I don’t know if this is recent but I’ve read several comments recently that were replies yet I was unable to work out what the reply was to (including what I think might have been a reply to me.)

1 Like

When you click reply on a specific post, a link to that post will appear in the upper right corner of your reply (unless it’s the post directly above your reply?) and the original post will get a link to yours at the bottom. That way you can track who replied to whom. I suspect that may be why Discourse edits out quotes of whole posts.

2 Likes

This is just a spacer

1 Like

Testing @Boerenkool’s observation.

1 Like

Yes. That’s the problem. Counter-intuitive to remove BOTH the post and the “reply to” link from the new post!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is what you are commenting on, but if you quote an entire post, it gets deleted. You gotta trim off a period or add a double space somewhere in the post to prevent it from being deleted.

2 Likes

Test

1 Like

That’s weird. It did not delete it.

Maybe it only deletes it on TuD. I thought it did that here too. Nevermind!

1 Like

It only deletes it if the reply immediately follows the post, as in this case (I quoted your whole post; I will see an auto-edit on my reply). It also doesn’t include the link to the original at the top right and that is the real problem.

3 Likes

Okay, so I was right about it. Good.

So the trick is to just remove the last period like I did in yours above.

3 Likes

Double quote test!

1 Like

Discourse adds a ‘reply to’ link on the top line if there is no quote with the link, but then it doesn’t do this if the reply is to the last comment. The latter is a bug.

1 Like

So here is a classic example of why this is a bug, this comment:

The only reason I could work out that it was not a response to my immediately preceding comment was that it had a link in the upper right to the comment that preceded that; this is obfuscated to the point of total obscurity.

1 Like