Switching from Dexcom to Libre

The Libre is NOT a continuous glucose monitor. It’s a “flash” glucose monitor. So it does require scanning to get the data. However, there are third-party add-ons, such as BluCon and MiaoMiao, that essentially turn it into a CGM. I have a MiaoMiao that I was using when sleeping. I actually like being able to use the Libre as a CGM when needed and being able to use it as a flash sensor when I want. It reduces the alarm fatigue significantly, and as long as I check often, I really do not miss the alarms except during specific activities (such as sleep or when teaching).

The Libre sensor is waterproof and I’ve had no issues showering. In fact, it’s better than Dexcom in that regard. Showering or swimming always used to mess up my Dexcom readings for 30 minutes or so afterwards, and it made it impossible to check readings while actually swimming. With the Libre, it’s easy to just stop swimming and swipe the reader to see a reading, and I’ve never had an issue with it being unable to provide a reading (e.g., ???) while wet.

I’m not currently using the Libre due to reactions to the adhesive which are persisting even though Cavilon barrier spray and a layer of Hypafix tape. That is something to be aware of, as reactions to the Libre tape are much more common than reactions to the Dexcom tape.

3 Likes

I’ve heard about the adhesive reactions! I’m so sorry to hear of it.

1 Like

There are a few options you can try… some people use a layer of flonase prior to adhesion, but I would try flexfit tape or iv3000 before the adhesion. I use flexfit over the libre and miaomiao2 to keep it waterproof but I usually have to change it every 4 days or so to charge the miaomiao2. Eversense is an option if you are still having issues but its a big commitment, the 6 month and 1 year are still being tested by the fda so we’re stuck with 3 months which seems too frequent once you are used to the system…it takes 1-2 weeks to fully heal, and even after 3 months, your skin Will start to adhere to the sensor and removal can be a little tricky for some providers because of the adhesions…many swear by skin tac also, but the most important addition is the miaomiao2 and xdrip…and maybe an android wear watch

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I’ve tried almost all options and none have worked. The reactions I get take four or five days to start, so Flonase (or similar steroid sprays/inhalers) have not helped. I love Opsite Flexifix tape, but have recently begun reacting to that, so I don’t think that would help. I’m also allergic to Skin Tac and Tegaderm.

I have a lifelong history of severe allergies and atopic dermatitis, which is really complex compared to most people who just get some mild skin irritation or an itchy rash. I have an appointment with my allergist next week to talk about it. Unfortunately, I was going to ask for testing to figure out specifically what component(s) of adhesive I’m allergic to, but the appointment is over the phone, so that won’t be happening. One good thing is that lately my allergist have died down somewhat (although I still need daily medication and as-needed steroid cream), so I’m no longer reacting to pump infusion sets anywhere near as much as I used to. I have immunosuppressive creams that I was given by a dermatologist to use “near” infusion sets and sites but not on them, and it works well as it basically stops the immune system from reacting (also increases the risk of infections), but the cream basically dissolves the glue of any adhesive it touches, so I don’t want to use it on an expensive sensor.

The Eversense is not available in Canada, and I think I read recently that it was closing operations…? I’ve purchased a Dexcom G5 transmitter to use for the time being, until I get the Libre adhesive reactions sorted out. Hopefully my allergist may be able to provide some helpful guidance.

Are there any barrier films you aren’t allergic to? Because punching the sensor through a barrier seems like the best bet.

I react to Tegaderm and recently started reacting to Flexifit. I think IV3000 may be the only one I haven’t tried recently.

1 Like

It looks like in the us, eversense is suspending the 90 day sensor, which In my opinion makes perfect sense…currently, the 90 day sensor will last 180 days, but the fda only approved it for 90 days… all European countries are using eversense for 180 days… its also recently approved by medicare, but it seems like they are smartly waiting for the 6 and 12 month approval from the fda. Eversense would be ideal for you…you don’t have to use adhesives at all…you could use an arm sleeve…and the stickers they use are changed every 24 hours…maybe look for Canadian approval when the 6 month is approved here… or travel to the us every 6 months

Thanks for the information. I’ll keep an eye on Eversense as a possible option when it comes here (I think going to the USA would be outrageously expensive given your healthcare system and the fact I’d be paying for everything out-of-pocket, plus travel expenses, plus would then have to put up with mg/dl readings rather than mmol/L). I think the Eversense could be good for me, but could also be a disaster because I’m allergic to a variety of things, not just tape. I used to react to the infusion set cannula (the part that goes under the skin), which made many infusion sets unavailable to me, though recently I’m not reacting to steel sets at all, which is amazing after years of reactions. So I worry that I’d react to the Eversense implant, which would not be good.

8 posts were split to a new topic: New Libre 2 questions