Supply bags

2 posts were split to a new topic: Cases for syringes?

It looks like you have everything you might ever need. Would you be willing to share your packing list?

Certainly! Replaced the images previously inserted, with labeled pictures.

1 Like

That is an attractive bag, look like Liam is going to the office. :grinning:

1 Like

His old bag was always bulging and nearly wouldnā€™t close. This bag allows us to carry everything we may need for normal trips (to the park, for instance), and also had some space for additional supplies that we will want to take on extended trips. Iā€™m sure, for extended trips, weā€™ll need even more spaceā€¦so weā€™ll just pack the other things (such as extra CGM sensor kits, etc.,) in suitcases and such.

1 Like

Just as a side note - if you ever need it in an emergency - you CAN fill an omnipod with an insulin pen, or any syringe you have handy.

With an insulin pen, you just dial up the max dose on the pen, stick it in the pod fill port, inject it slowly. Re-dial, and repeat until you have enough in the pod.

If you have a failed pod and a syringe, you can pull the insulin out of the failed pod with the syringe, and just use the syringe to fill the new pod

Obviously, these may not be ideal ways of doing it, but in an emergency if you donā€™t have what you need, it can get the job done. Practically any needle or syringe will work on the pod fill port.

Might I suggest another thing for your bag?

1 Like

Also, notice the film roll tablet containers? :smiley: Recommendation from one of you guys that totally rocks. I have 20 of these filled with 5 each. We empty one, put it on the ā€œemptyā€ side and grab another. Much easier than carrying a bag or a huge vial of them.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to know! The good thing about the Omnipod is that each POD comes with itā€™s own syringe! For an extended trip, weā€™ll have a whole box of PODs. You see I also have 3 extra syringes in the center compartment large mesh zipper area.

Certainly!!!

1 Like

Right, but you never know when you are gonna drop that fill syringe on the floor of the subway bathroomā€¦:persevere:
So if that happens, donā€™t fret, any syringe will work!

I would suggest adding a few one dollar bills to the bag. Quarters are even better!

There are times when a vending machine is helpful for lows. Like in an office building or hotel, and the only access to food or drink is a vending machine. Being stuck with only 20 dollar bills in your wallet sucks in that situation.

I used to have a bag of quarters in my desk at work just for lows.Sometimes the vending machine would not ā€œlikeā€ the one dollar bills, if they were mangled or ripped or whatever, the machine would spit them back out. But quarters always worked!

4 Likes

Film containers for glucose tablets are a good idea! I use these little containers - one fits three glucose tablets perfectly. Itā€™s the perfect size for when Iā€™m in a meeting or teaching and want glucose tablets immediately available but donā€™t want to carry a whole roll (I always do have rolls or a large container in my bag, though). (I found them locally for about $3.00, not sure why the Amazon link is so expensive.)

2 Likes

$14.36 for a 15-pack of film canisters on Amazon.com. Each one holds 5.

And I noticed something as I was perusing my past orders on Amazon searching for this information. I spend WAY too much money on Amazonā€¦

3 Likes

Really nicely planned and done!

I have found that it is best not to look. Just sayingā€¦

3 Likes

Wanted to mention, extra batteries for PDM and BG meter are good things to have too. Not that you would need to always carry them around, but if you put them in the bag, they would be less likely to end up in a TV remote or XBox controller, like they would if you just had the batteries sitting in a drawer somewhere. :grinning:

At least thatā€™s the way it works in my houseā€¦

2 Likes

Those are things we definitely had in our old container and theyā€™ll be added to this one! Nothing worse than needing AAA batteries and not having them.

2 Likes

Found another use for the Film canisters. :slight_smile: They hold 5 AAA batteries perfectly!

2 Likes

I like this idea of using ā€˜filmā€™ canisters for batteries, but would hesitate putting food, glucose tablets, or medications in them.

I use slightly larger empty RX bottles for my glucose tabs, with label to identify quickly.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t hesitate to put food or glucose tabs in the ones that you buy that didnā€™t hold film. I would think twice about doing it with actual used film containers. With that said, I think our salt and pepper shakers for camping are film containers that used to contain film, and we havenā€™t started glowing yet. :wink:

1 Like

Anecdotal evidence only: over the past 40 yrs I have used used, washed film canisters for many edible (and inedible) items including pemmican, sugar, spices, jerky, high energy trail mix etc. This always was a very standard way for us (and many of my friends) to package emergency rations in long range backpacking and rafting and in abandon-ship sailing bags.

5 Likes

I havenā€™t hesitated at all and the film canisters work perfectly.