Superbowl sunday

Kudos to you for allowing them to grow in their own way!

it was a shock to me when my teenager started watching sports on Sundays. Not that I was against it, but I simply did not expect it.

2 Likes

I don’t have tv at home so I’ll go to a bar or a friends house if there is something really interesting on (championships mostly)… Otherwise, I listen to a lot of games on my phone while I’m doing other things.

2 Likes

Not really. I did hear the Eagles were in it a week or so ago, but I stopped paying attention to pro sports when the players started being whiney cry babies.

I mean, they are so far removed from Willy Mays, John Roseboro, Roman Gabriel, Deacon Jones, and the players who respected the fans and played it for the love of the game, that I simply cannot give them any of my attention.

2 Likes

why no TV at home?

wow Doc, you’re a tough one to please. :rofl:

how did you feel about Joe Namath? Lynn Swan? (even, to my horror, OJ ? ) or The Fridge?

I really think sports are in for a rough ride. I am the only sports watcher in our family, and my sons have friends, and only about 10-20% or so watch sports on a regular basis. My son got 10 of his friends and they went to a movie during the superbowl. Go figure.

2 Likes

We had a super bowl party last night (more of a continuation of brunch in the early afternoon). We watched the national anthem then the puppy bowl and a stand-up comedy show until the half time show. Then I went home, and stopped watching tv for the night!

Granted, this is more stereotypical for my gender. I never cared much about watching sports (playing is fun though!), but now that we know about all the harmful effects football can have on the brain, I have a hard time watching just for fun. I can’t help but wondering how many mini-concussions might occur in a game while I watch = not fun.

2 Likes

I have a baseball card/memorabilia collection worth over $50k that I collected back in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. I had hoped my kids would be interested, but they aren’t. I stopped collecting after my huge investments in Sammy Sosa / Mark McGwire cards plummeted in value due to the steroids epidemic. I have boxes and boxes just stored away that I may go through again when I’m retired to see if any of the players/cards still have value. I have tons of Ken Griffey Jr., and Frank Thomas rookies in addition to many old timer players like Robinson, Aaron.

Collecting just lost its zest due to the steroids issues, and with that, brought my lack of interest in even watching the sport.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have trouble seeing football as anything other than organized brain damage these days, which took me from a very occasional viewer who could get into a game if persuaded to watch, to someone who feels pretty gross about the whole thing. (I broke my recent general no football watching rule to watch the game last night, but couldn’t really get into it; I think I’m done with football watching from here on out.) It’s hard to see how American football could ever be anything but CTE-generating, unless it was all changed to touch football. I’d feel the same way about rugby or any tackle sport. I know people in my personal life who have played those very seriously and now have some cognitive symptoms that could well be early CTE. It’s really sad.

1 Like

thats so sad. the cheating was horrible, but that is not all inclusive. there are some good guys still playing out there.

2 Likes

Baseball was the one sport I used to be pretty into, as a Red Sox fan, but that died down for me after they won the World Series. Somehow rooting for a non-underdog just wasn’t quite as fun, heh.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have all the rookie cards for Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas and many other “good” players…I put a lot of value on those because of the kind of solid players they were…and they’ve NOT been involved in the steroids issues.

1 Like

Swan and Perry pretty much kept their focus just on the game. They still had some fan respect. Joe was quite the showman, but you knew he loved the game as much as the fans.

O.J. is a different story. I knew early on that he would end up in trouble. I was a sophomore at USC when he was a junior, and you always knew where O.J. was. He was always in the middle of a pretty large crowd of adoring students. He quicky learned he could do no wrong. That can really screw up someone’s head.

That’s pretty awesome! I had a complete 1959 MLB series that I collected that season when the Dodgers were the toast of L.A.

I have no idea whatever became of that collection :frowning_with_open_mouth:

2 Likes

So can playing football. It’s worth noting erratic, impulsive, and violent behavior, as well as poor judgment, is consistent with CTE.

1 Like

You missed IMO one of the greatest sporting events I’ve ever seen… and I’m not even a football fan… but this was seriously edge of the seat stuff… and in the end, after a great game, the second string backup quarterback defeated the one who’s supposedly one of the greatest of all time… it was like David Vs Goliath, but a better fight

2 Likes

how do you feel about Odell Beckam? it was a shame, for me at least, that he was injured this year and couldnt play. (i also have to admit that i found him to be quite sexy; but i’m very girly about stuff like that :wink: )

I waste enough time, don’t need another method. Didn’t grow up with one that had any channels either so never a habit. I can watch amazon prime on my computer, but mostly don’t bother. I’m more of a play stupid games on my phone/ipad than watch tv type.

1 Like

We don’t have cable here, and use a projector, mostly for Netflix. We have OTA TV but we watch it no more than once a month or so (since my college son left for college).

I don’t have cable either. I turned off dish network a couple months ago, I’m 100% streaming with amazon, Hulu live, and Netflix now… we watch a stupid amount of tv… probably so much that i got diabeetus

5 Likes