Strips on amazon? Best choices?

i got the Contour Next One Meter that is shaped like a fat finger.

i am really liking it :smile: . its not bulky at all. easy to carry, etc. and the #s seem very reliable when compared to my other meters.

1 Like

Amazon is now experimenting with pricing based on your purchase history. In other words, @Eric is naturally a cheapskate so it offers the same items to him at a better deal than it does to you, @Michel :wink:

3 Likes

Michel has big money!
:smile:

@Eric, are you saying you like the ONE better than the EZ?

Have you tried the ONE’s app?

@Sam, when you mention the big and clunky meter, are you thinking this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TrueMetrix-Blood-Glucose-Testing-Kit/dp/B01M0ZM6HK/

Yes that’s the big and clunky one. The true metrix go onthe other hand is probably the best meter design I’ve ever seen in terms of size and portability… wish more people would follow that lead-- I guess the tradeoff is that many patients are old and don’t see well so they need a big meter with big numbers

1 Like

The Contour Next One looks nice and compact.

@Eric, this model does not seem to have been tested in the 2016 Blood Glucose Meter Comparisons. Is the Contour Next One as good as the other Contours?

FYI - I currently use the Freestyle and it’s fine: takes a small droplet of blood, if I make a mistake with the first droplet (insufficient), I can retest again. Other than wishing to go to a smaller unit and possibly gain in the highlighted yellow column, I’m reasonably satisfied with the Freestyle Lite. The Accu Chek models that I had previously used required a LARGE drop of blood. We all know how that can add up, day after day,

1 Like

I use the FreeStyle Lite also. I like Freestyle a lot, but the strips are expensive!

I don’t know about the comparisons for the Contour Next One, but since they use the same strips, I am sure the comparisons would be the same. They would have to use essentially the same internal components since the strips match. The size difference is because of the case and the display.

Try the Contour Next One. It’s a good meter! Small, precise, inexpensive strips. All around a good choice. And I always recommend having more than meter!

1 Like

Forgive me if I somehow missed the discussion, if there has been about insurance coverage for glucometers and test strips. Aren’t the strips/meters usually covered by insurance? The copays may be higher for certain brands and in some cases, not covered. Previously, the only one that was covered by my plan was the Johnson and Johnson one touch, which was pretty bad. I then paid higher copays for the Accu chek. One can ask the doctor to specify the glucometer and test strips and in some cases the insurance company will then allow for coverage.

Sure, insurance covers some strips. But not enough for me, so I just buy extras. A lot of the discussion was about the best and most inexpensive ones you could get beyond what was covered by your insurance.

My insurance pays only for Freestyle strips, nothing else. Because they cover my Dexcom supplies they only will cover testing twice a day. Copay is $30 for 100 strips. An extra 100 strips would cost about $75-$80.

Freestyle is a great meter and I like it a lot, but I use about 200 strips/mo. Paying out of pocket for Contour Next strips costs me about $40/mo.

Even when I reach my out of pocket maximum next month I’ll still just buy the Contour Next strips because of the convenience of the Contour Next One meter connecting automatically to xDrip+.

Also sometimes for people in certain situations it’s good to have a “burner” meter… one that your doc doesn’t prescribe, doesn’t download, doesn’t know anything about…

1 Like

@Sam, you are so subversive. :slight_smile:

Quite some time ago when I requested my previous endo to please write an Rx for strips for testing up to 10x daily, she told me that I don’t want you testing so many times. Why would any endo do such disservice for her patients by telling them that? By only testing 1x daily, or 1x a week, what kind of useful information can anyone obtain?

1 Like

Man, you totally need a new endo. That sounds horrible.

Thank God you switched. Truly awful. Hopefully this person has now retired:(

I too am a huge fan of the Contour Next meters. I tried a boatload of brands and, for me, the Contour Next is spot-on in terms of repeatability. This helps a whole lot when trying to calibrate a CGM. The fact that I can get test strips on amazon for about $22 per 100 is a bonus. I don’t even mess with doctor’s orders or insurance anymore.

5 Likes

I am ready to switch also to the Contour Next. I have heard nothing but good things.

So what are your all thoughts on meters vs strips in terms of accuracy? Does the meter actually have anything to do with accuracy and repeatability or is it all about the strip?

These Contour Next meters that seem to get only positive feedback all use the “Contour Next” strip (as opposed to the Contour - hopefully the distributor won’t confuse it on the first order). So should I expect any meter that uses the “Contour Next” strip to have the same BG functionality? Which would mean I am then picking the “Contour Next” meter on all the other bells and whistles like size, shape, whatever?

Scheiner ranks 3 different Contour meters that all use the same Contour Next strip. I think any Contour meter that uses those strips will give you great results.

If you are interested in size and appearance, and something that looks much cooler for a teenage girl, go with the Contour Next One.

I don’t know… I think there is another meter that you might have sold me on. I think you called it “Grandma style”?
lol

2 Likes

that’s ageism :-). The next thing that could happen is that if there were a Grandma as an admin someone will be suspended for 50 years, ha ha…

My teen age niece informed me about something called micro aggression. I had to google it to ascertain the meaning. I learn new stuff all the time. :slight_smile: Personally, in some ways, there was something simple and open and honest and upfront about the old playground “fights”. After it was over, it was over. I’m not advocating violence at all. But all this stuff about internet/cyber bullying…well, people can simply log off from social media. Sorry for the digression.

1 Like