Starting on t:slim X2: my first questions

I actually honestly don’t think of myself as an over thinker at all. I think about things only as much as I need, for as long as I need, and, most importantly, for as long as they continue to capture my attention. I do think about things and do spend a great deal of time exploring ideas and theories, but I don’t think of this as a bad thing at all. I’m responding to, not one, but three mentions of my over thinking things this week. I personally think I’ve got a pretty good head on my shoulders, and I spend about as much time with something as I need to feel comfortable with it. That’s what I’m doing. We are yin and yang though with our thinking and amount of “clutter” we allow into our lives, and I always appreciate your voice of reason.

I’ll have to think about it. :grin:

I’m just kidding. But I will. :roll_eyes:

Back to my manual. You guys are distracting me.

2 Likes

I’ve heard alcoholics say similar things :wink:.

(BTW, I am a detailed thinker, close relative to the over thinkers.)

2 Likes

:rofl:

Yes, but I really do only over think at parties and on special occasions. :grin:

Oh, and I would love to be a detailed thinker, but there’s just too much clutter in my… well, mind. :grin:

3 Likes

You don’t need to explain yourself @Nickyghaleb. Over thinking or detailed thinking comes with long term T1. It’s the nature of our disease and sometimes our survival depends on it. Having to be aware of every aspect of life and it’s impact on an autonomic system is constant and we are trained that it is our job to control it. I need to be reminded not to over think too. We are trying to save you some of that burden with good intentions for a smooth transition to the X2.

Hope it’s going well. :heart:

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb

I have been trying to think of an analogy. It is tough because I know many people’s favorite activity is poking holes in analogies. Whatever.

Think of it like when somebody is first learning to drive a vehicle. The new driver wants to focus on how to control the vehicle when it goes into a skid on ice.

I imagine it is quite difficult to transition after being on the 670g. I have not used the 670g. But I have read many posting from people on the 670g. The Tandem X2 is completely different. The Basal-IQ feature is cool - absolutely. But it is not the core of the pump. It does not drive operations. If you do not have the pump configured properly, running well and knowing how to operate the X2 then the Basal-IQ simply has no chance.

IMHO the best way to proceed (initially) with the X2 is as if it did not have the Basal-IQ algorithm at all. Start with it turned off. One button click.

Get the X2 pump configured and working first. If this does not happen then the pump simply will never work for you.

Honestly I can not think of any other way to put it.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was well put @Thomas. That is how I had to go about it especially due to the intense mindset the 670 puts you in. After using pretty much every system out there over 49 years I think it’s the best way to start with any of them. The 670 is a different beast and and on the opposite end of the spectrum from the X2 so it’s even more important. For me the 670 intensified the burden and frustration and for the first time completely consumed my mind and body with controlling T1 using a flawed system. At this point in my life I need some of that burden lifte while still getting good control. The X2 does that for me.

2 Likes

It is my favorite pastime, yes. :grin:

That’s it. 100%. I haven’t just worn this thing, I’ve lived it. And if you will allow the excuse, I work individually with people in my group almost on a daily basis to try to help them get a handle on what they’re 670s are doing. The group is almost at 900 people now, and it’s hard for me to sever ties with all of that thinking and to just pick up in a new place. I’m going to do just that because I have to, but it’s going to take some … whatever. You didn’t know you were booking in for therapy when you answered my first Tandem question, did you? You should’ve known, but you probably didn’t. :grin:

That’s a simple solution that I can buy into without another thought. I think I will start with that. In all honesty, and I’ll just put this out before I think better of it, I’ve enjoyed the control I have with MDI so much that I’m actually nervous about going back to something that will carry some of the load. So I’ll start small. And with all of the control. :grin:

We’re in the process of renaming the Facebook group and are trying to find a way to open up discussion. This is a transition period for me not because it would be this big of a deal for me alone, but because I have made this commitment. I’m doing my reading, I’m getting it out of the box today and onto the charger, and I know what’ll happen once it’s all lit up and ready to go. I appreciate all of your help (and your patience), and I hope you know I’m moving on along. And taking notes. :grin:

1 Like

I was lucky because it was out of my hands since I had the pump a while before IQ was released.

And as much as I like @Thomas, (and am inclined to trust him), I know you are speaking from a shared 670G experience. It’s really nice to hear that you continue to feel so positively about your X2. And that it not only earned your trust but seems to have maintained it. There have been alot of stories, @Jattzl, about people’s pumps doing things that just aren’t right. It’s been an intense year. You guys are very kind to let me ramble on a little while I try to unwind.

1 Like

Totally agreed. Same. It was significantly more of a ramp up over an extended time period.

EDIT: Also we were previously on the Animas Ping which (based on reading other posts) seems like a much smaller and easier move over to the X2 as opposed from the 670g to the X2.

1 Like

Oh, that really would make it easier. :grin:

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb
Another driving analogy seen as you were so nice not to rip my previous one apart.
:slight_smile:

Think of Control-IQ as a “lane assist” feature on your vehicle. If the vehicle is slowly drifting to the side, the lane assist will give a little nudge to bump you back into your lane. However if you have the wheel turned too far, the lane assist will not compensate and you will cross lanes.

The Control-IQ is similar in that it can only bump you up so much. It can not overcome basal rates that are simply way out of the ballpark nor bolus deliveries that are not even close.

If you get the X2 working first with a good profile that includes good basal rates and (assuming you use the bolus calculator) you have good configuration for the insulin duration and insulin carb ratio and all of those basic pump parameters then you are setting yourself up so as to allow the Control-IQ to provide some fine tuning and nudge you up when you start drifting low.

There is nothing to adjust with Control-IQ. It is either on or off. That is it. Period. (And you have two related alarms that default to off which you can turn on if you wish.)

All the work is in the basic feature of the pump which more or less comes down to the basal and bolus. Which is significant and a lot of work to get right. You have a clear advantage not being a newbie. You just have to translate that knowledge into the Tandem world and make adjustements for how Tandem does things.

For example when going from the Animas Ping to the Tandem X2, we found the Insulin Duration on the X2 needed to be reduced from what we had on the Ping. Certainly the process for replacing the insulin cartridge was different and took some getting used to. The terminology for temporary basal rates was different so we had to be sure when talking back and forth among ourselves, we were being consistent and not having one person end up doing something unexpected based on confusion of terminology.

I was previously quite comfortable with calling Animas Technical Support just for questions even if no actual problem. I continued that with Tandem (and Dexcom). I found all of their Technical Support to be of great assistance. I would never call or reach out to our trainer or Tandem Rep or anybody like that over the Technical Support. Plus, I have a question a 1AM - no big deal - Technical Support is 24x7.

1 Like

EDIT: To clarify further. There are no other X2 parameters that impact the Basal-IQ operations.

Insulin Duration, IOB, I:C ratio, ISF, etc… Nothing impacts the Control-IQ algorithm. There are no hidden links. Basal-IQ is so simple as to be absurd. Yet it works. At least for us.

1 Like

I have seen those. I need to set my own filter for that. Some people claim the G6 is awful etc. I don’t get it. There are issues with any system. I work through them and can usually find a way for it to work for me. It seems some people get stuck :woman_shrugging:t2: Every pump and system has their drawbacks so for me its finding the one that I can work with and are acceptable to me with the drawbacks. Another reason confirming to me that the 670 was a POS. there was no working with it. It was futile. The integration of Dexcom G6 (which is incredible) and the X2 and online upgrades and Basal IQ and Control IQ are enough for me! I am still very happy with it.

Anything you need!! You are being de-programmed coming out of a Medtronic cult brainwashing mind control.

This is my experience also. So simple! The difference from 670 is almost surreal. I kept saying how can this be?!? It’s so easy and it works!!

Exactly. When I go “out of the lane” it is totally an error on my part.

True. I found that the Basal IQ is very helpful in helping me fine tune my basal rates and bolus factors. They were already good but it has been a great tool to make them even better.

Absolutely. No matter how good any system is, I do not believe any single system can work for everybody.

2 Likes

When we spoke earlier, I said I had nothing. Amazing what a little run does for you. :grinning: This is what I came back with.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your illness!

Apologies to @Chris, because “Chris Chris” just fit better in the song.

Also, apologies to the Manhattans too!

Use Your t:slim and Say Goodbye
by The Manhattans Me!

This has got to be the saddest day of my life
I called you here today for a bit of bad news
I won’t be able to help you any more
Because of your Tandem trialing
And the pump you are gonna start

We’ve been posting here every day
And since this is our last time together
I want to post to you just one more time
When you read and walk away
Don’t look back I want to remember you just like this
Use your t:slim and say goodbye

I had to post to you here today
There’s just so many things to say
Please don’t stop me till I’m through
This is something I hate to do
We’ve been posting here so long
I guess for you other pumps were wrong
Please darling, don’t you cry

Many months have passed us by
{I’m gonna miss you}
I’m gonna miss you I can’t lie
{I’m gonna miss you}
I’ve got other pumps and so do you
I just think this is the thing to do

I helped you with your MDI
Maybe you’ll get help, help from another guy
Understand me won’t you try, try, try, try, try, try, try

Hmmmmmmm…
{I’m gonna miss you}
I’m gonna miss helpin’, I can’t lie
{I’m gonna miss you}
The pods I gave you that you tried
{I’m gonna miss you}
It’s gonna hurt me, I can’t lie
{I’m gonna miss you}
Take my handkerchief an’ wipe your eyes
{I’m gonna miss you}
Maybe you’ll get help, help from another guy
{Thomas or Chris Chris?}
Use your t:slim and say goodbye, pretty baby
{I’m gonna miss you}
Please, don’t you cry
{I’m gonna miss you}
Understand me, oh won’t you try?
{I’m gonna miss you}

3 Likes

This is how I would feel… if I fell for that nonsense, but nice try.

Now I’ll go find a song about how I ain’t buying your excuses, and if you think you’re getting off that easy, you got another thing coming… and thanks, no thanks.

It’s looking more and more like I might just be an MDI girl. I had no idea. This doesn’t mean I am not looking forward to the Tslim and would love to be swept off my feet, but you got me over to the dark side, dammit, and I’m not hanging out here alone.

Stop trying to make me all sappy. And nice try. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:pleading_face::cry::sob:

That is so sad. No. That is very sad. You guys are causing mood swings… and laugh-crying.

3 Likes