Tslim X2 questions

I’m currently on a Medtronic 630G and Dexcom G6. My MD really would like to see if I can get on the Tslim X2 and is even willing to change my T2 to a T1 if it helps. (My cpeptide is 0.7 and he said 0.8 or higher = T2 so I’m being treated as T1 anyway). Some questions:

1. I’ve heard a lot of stories about occlusions and I’m not sure I like the way the tank is filled. The air thing sounds very confusing along with using a regular syringe vs. the reservoir the 630 has?

2. I have UHC and when I called Tandem, they were under the impression that UHC had an exclusive contract with Medtronic. I asked her to humor me and check both DME side and my Express Scripts which handles everything diabetic for me. Is this true? EVERY UHC policy?

3. When I was first trained on 630G, I couldn’t even use the pump until I was formally trained by their educator. Does Tslim have similar training?

4. I think I’m about 2 years in on my 630G but it was purchased on a BCBS obamacare policy. Some say that they don’t always share, and DME on my policy says 3 years and I didn’t see an exception for diabetic pumps being 4. Any ideas? UHC obviously sees pump suplied, but not the pump order.

5. My MD really wants the basal IQ to help me stop the lows automatically. Could this be a good reason for an over ride if needed?

6. Any one come from a medtronic 630g or the like and come over to the Tslim and care to offer their opinion? He originally said the 670G but I refuse to give up Dexcom! He said Tslim was also a good pump and that would be fine.

That seems a bit odd. AFAIK, a pump is indicated for either T1 or T2 who uses insulin. AFAIK it is more the cgm which is problematic for Type 2 diagnosis to be covered under many insurance plans.

Q1: occlusions and tank.
A1: I get it. We had the Animas Ping before. Not a big deal. IMHO not worth deciding either way on the pump. If you read on the reason and the technology behind this, it is actually superior technology involved. Depends on if you like reading those sorts of things. Most people are not that interested.

Q2: UHC.
A2: Not 100%. Pediatrics and Advantage plan not impacted. This applies to UHC Commercial and UHC Community. Appeals are possible and if interested, there are some experts here on the appeal process. (Not me.)

Q3: Training
A3: Yes Tandem has training. However IMHO it will not be required to the degree that (apparently) Medtronic pumps are. I also do not believe the training is “required”. I like training. Nothing wrong with that. I take what anybody says (including the “trainer”) with a more than a few grains of salt. I listen to the trainer. I read the manual. We use the pump. We decide how to run the pump. We configure the pump. At this point, NOBODY changes any settings in our pump other than my T1. Doc tries and they literally get their fingers slapped.

Q4: Warranty and replacement period.
A4: One way to find out. I assume they know.

Q5: Basal-IQ
A5: Not according to UHC. They would say to use the Medtronic 640g or 670g.

Q6:
A6: The Dexcom was one of the top reasons we picked the Tandem t:slim X2.

3 Likes

:+1:

:heavy_plus_sign: :100:

2 Likes

My answers closely match the marsupials…

• Yes, the fill sequence is different than other pumps, no I wouldn’t worry about it, we don’t have issues with the fill, and my son has been doing this easily every 4-5 days for almost two years. There is some techniques that are used that are a bit different, i.e. keeping the pump upright during the fill, etc.
    • UHC can be a problem, you will likely have to appeal their decision. If your doctor is on board, that will make it easier. He can do some things that will make UHC have to consider your appeal in a proper light.
    • We received the “formal” training from our diabetes educator, not from the Tandem rep. You also can access remote live training from Tandem if you prefer over the phone. They can set this up quickly and get you trained.
    • Medtronic has similar technology, so this won’t be able to be the basis of your appeal.