Starting on t:slim X2: my first questions

oh, and i think your mom is on our side of things…

her and her pimp…

1 Like

One other reminder about the t:slim is that there’s no reserve tank. This is a change from the Medtronic 723 that had several units remaining when the display said 0, and would continue delivering basal without fuss until the reservoir actually ran out and gave a no delivery alarm. On the t:slim, when the amount of remaining insulin reaches 0, delivery stops and the pump alarms every 5 minutes and there’s no practical way to stop the alarm. Either change the cartridge before you get to 0 or carry a filled cartridge with you in a baggie and switch cartridges and prime the tube when you run out.

my depression is lifting :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

I want a video or at least a pic

1 Like

Over thinking.

Trust me. (Which is completely hilarious if you knew me.)

Leave that alone for now.

2 Likes

The answer is very easy.

Prove it.

And fund your legal team during the 10 years you are trying to prove.

And don’t go out of business in the meantime.

Reality.

Anyway - I don’t want to go sideways on the thread. If the conversation on big business continues then I would suggest an admin to spin the relevant posts to their own thread. That one could easily be quite long.

1 Like

You can turn the pump off.

Not intuitively obvious. Plug it into a charger and turn it off. (I think - going on memory from some time back.)

The only time we had to do this was when we pulled it out of the box to play with it but then were not going to use it right away.

1 Like

Very true. My reply was just expressing my distaste. Not even worth a new convo to me.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Thank you for the heads up. Yes, Medtronic pumps can go for another couple of units after reading 0 (as many as 10!). Having just tried out the OmniPod will definitely help me in adjusting to the hard stop. @Eric made sure I was aware of that and was gearing early behaviors to accommodating for it. I did very well with 90% of the pods. :D.

1 Like

Is this Storage Mode?

I am really in for a lot of trouble if I’m already over thinking that part… That was hardly thinking at all. Scratching the surface. I can’t not think about these things— I’ve seen too much to be able to just put it on and not worry about it. The thing I can do, and I promise to do, is to not touch anything. I did that in Auto Mode for almost a month before I attempted to take back some control. It won’t be easy either, but I can refrain from exiting suspends and just observe the behavior. If it looks like we’re pretty much in agreement about when I need my insulin and when I don’t, I would love to think less about it.

Okay then. What would you suggest I start with? Page 1? :grimacing:

1 Like

Yes. Front to back.

Don’t dwell.

This is a multi-step process. Easier to quickly get the gist of it all. And later get into the details.

Starting with the details first is much more difficult and time consuming.

1 Like

As you mention, that’s an option if you can plug it in to a charger. Then power it down (I don’t remember if it was called storage mode) by holding down the side button for something like 15 seconds until it beeps, then the pump goes completely dormant. It won’t wake up again until the next time it’s plugged into a charger. I don’t carry a charger with me, so I’d be stuck with a shrieking pump.

I do find the suspends extremely helpful. A lot of times I can ignore a BG that’s headed toward a low, and it will resolve itself, which I totally love. You kind of have to learn what BGs need your intervention and what ones don’t but it’s not a super steep learning curve — for me it’s mostly down to the rate my BG is moving downward at.

I don’t recall who told me this (either @Thomas or @Chris) but when I first got my pump I was advised to leave the alarms for Basal-IQ on at first to get an idea of how it behaves. I definitely second that suggestion!

I sometimes get a rebound high, but mostly this is if Basal-IQ cancels my extended bolus and I forget to set a new one.

3 Likes

I also strongly suggest this but only to watch and learn! Not to over think for it! We are going to drill that into you lol (with lots of love)

Yes this!! :point_up_2:t2:

2 Likes

I over think things to death. It’s the difference between ordinary and fascinating. I’m gonna over think this bugger, too, but I’m not going to button mash. That’s an important boundary I’m setting for myself— observe and think and log all you want, Nicky, but don’t intervene.

Really??

You guys are going to turn me into a closet over thinker with all this peer pressure. Dang. :grin:

Am I allowed to ask whether or not you can override a suspend?? Not because I plan to, but just because it seems like good information for a laidback, non over thinking pump wearer to have.

Why do you state that as fact? You are because you say you are.
CHANGE YOUR MINDSET. Put up signs. Start your day thinking it will be different, and do even better next day.

Maybe you can try a bit more GO WITH THE FLOW ??? Trust your instincts (unless you have good reason not too!)

Or just keep telling yourself you ARE an over thinker.

1 Like

I think that’s an acceptable goal but you will need approval from @Thomas. It will keep you out of the closet :rofl:

Well as you will read in the manual yes it is an option.

But not until you let it work on it’s own so that you will trust it and see what it can do without you. I had to tie my hands down too but it’s the only way to reprogram after 670 mind control.

Using the IQ alerts really help. During the day is probably enough so it doesn’t keep you up.

2 Likes

This is important too @Nickyghaleb. I use extended bolus often. Remember to check the Current Status last bolus when insulin resumes. It will tell you how much was delivered then you can decide how to adjust the remaining undelivered bolus.

Forget about the suspend.

You have to know how the pump works.

The Tandem does not pretend it is AUTO anything. This is a pump. You need to know how it works, how to configure it and get it configured. The vast majority of the operations are going to be basic due to your extensive knowledge. This is not your first time on insulin. This is not your first time on the pump. This is not your first time on a cgm. This is not your first time switching technologies. So this is going to be easy.

But reading the manual quickly (emphasis on quickly) front to back will give you a good idea of any obvious areas that are different from other things you have used. It will let you know what “translations” are necessary between this pump and other pumps. It is easier when talking to other X2 users to use whatever terms and technology that Tandem uses rather then referring to terms that are from other pumps.

Once you have the manual QUICKLY read then you are ready to start using the pump.

Still nothing to do with the suspend feature. That absolutely is not where you want to start.

You can start with the suspend. It is your pump. Nobody can tell you what to do. Obviously you are you.

This is only a suggestion.

Starting with the suspend is simply going to be a longer process.

Tandem has no pretense at AUTO. Suspend is not AUTO. Suspend by itself does nothing and is useless. In the manual you will learn that suspend is called Basal-IQ.

3 Likes