Starting on t:slim X2: my first questions

It is good that you found a solution that works for you.

1 Like

In an ideal world this would be possible, but frankly I am willing to pay some extra if it means a small innovative company can stay in business. Lesser of two evils thing for me. You should always be able to find an adapter if it comes to that.

3 Likes

I kind of didnā€™t. I stockpiled the luer-lock cartridges until they went out of stock, and used each cartridge for 3 fills (15 to 18 days total). I tried a 4th fill, but it seemed to be underdelivering, which I attributed to the micro-plunger wearing out from zillions of strokes. I really didnā€™t know what Iā€™d do when the luer-lock cartridges ran out, but the problem vanished when I started LOOP on an old Medtronic 722 which takes QuickSets with the paradigm connector.

I wish, but I didnā€™t. If you know of or hear rumors of an adapter that enables the t-lock cartridge to connect to a luer-lock infusion set I would be keenly interested. There was talk here on FU of maybe 3-D printing something, but I was afraid of what might leak from that plastic into the insulin that Iā€™m infusing.

I agree that it was vitally important to keep Tandem alive. In my opinion, Medtronic is a despicable company for their apparent practice of trying to drive competitors out of business by means other than creating superior products, such as their exclusionary deal with UnitedHealthcare Insurance to ensure that no insulin pump other than the Medtronic pump was covered. I still donā€™t understand why that isnā€™t a violation of antitrust laws.

6 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

For a second I felt like I walked in on an adult conversation there about the infusion sets and whatnotā€¦ but then I found Eric, and now I know itā€™s safe to carry on with a lower level conversation. :grin:

@bkh, thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. I respect your opinion and will spend some time looking it all over. In particular, thank you for the speaker trick. I havenā€™t even opened the boxes yet, but the idea of doing this to a steady beep in the background sounds a little less than ideal. So I wonā€™t. :hugs:

@Thomas, Iā€™m not going to thank you just yet. You might go away if I do, and I can see you know a thing or two about this. Thereā€™s even proof of that knowledge in your Jeopardy board. So thank you for taking the time youā€™ve taken so far to gather all of this for me, but donā€™t go away. Iā€™ll need more. :grin: I did start on the manual last night but skipped ahead to the information on the suspends. Iā€™ll open it to the beginning today, but I do have one questionā€” The pump will suspend you for up to 2 hours OR until your numbers show a rise (evident by a reading that is higher than the lastā€” the nadir). Did I understand that correctly? Youā€™re not locked in for 2 hours, right? I understand if you remain in for 2 hours, return to your basal for 30 minutes, but THEN are still showing a value beneath the threshold, it will lock you in for an additional 30 minutesā€” but thereā€™s no commitment on that first part. Is this right?

@Chris, thank you for not hiding even though I (jokingly) accused you of it. Iā€™m going to have a lot of questions, and I wanted to let you know up front I appreciate you guys taking the time. I think Iā€™ll also start up a new thread since it just doesnā€™t seem proper to start the journey under a concern over a shipment. That would be okay??

2 Likes

You have that right. The very first CGM reading that rises will restart the basal.

1 Like

Correct, so far Iā€™ve never had it suspend me the full 2 hours. I always end up starting to rise and it turns my basal back on.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s huge, @bkh. Itā€™s my main problem with the 670G. Auto Mode is another level of disaster, but even Manual Mode has its problems. It was very rigid, locking you in for 30 minutes at first, and then, if resolution hadnā€™t been achieved, for a full 2 hours. You add on top of that a slow, laggy sensor, and you find yourself getting 2 hour suspends left and right for numbers that were fine 15 minutes in.

@glitzabetes, I love hearing youā€™re not even sure youā€™ve been suspended the full 2 hours. I canā€™t do 2 hours without insulin and not feel the effect. How do you feel the suspends are working for you? Do you think theyā€™re helpful??

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, the awesome thing is that sometimes it only suspends for a minute or two, then other times it suspends for a longer period of time when you need it. Take a look at this pic. Everywhere you see red lines the insulin is suspended. It is really fantastic. The system landed that big drop without any carbs.

2 Likes

@Jattzl showed me some of her screens when she first got hers, and it was what turned me on to the whole idea. I remember thinking how fluid it looked. I hope sheā€™ll come out and chat a little now that she doesnā€™t have to listen to me drone on and on about the 670. :woman_facepalming:

So you guys donā€™t see a lot of rebounds then?? When I went back into manual mode after the whole auto mode experience, I finally started to let my pump suspend for just a couple of minutes here and there. It wasnā€™t intentional. It would be suspending itself as I was starting to crash, and it would just take that amount of time to exit the suspend. I started to find I liked those brief little suspends and sometimes would leave it off for 5 or 10 minutes. It obviously wasnā€™t doing much, but it felt like it was helping me get ahead a little. So if this thing can do a few minutes here and there, then Iā€™m thrilled. I was hoping that was the case, but I wasnā€™t sure.

This will motivate me to bump the manual up to the top of my To Do list today. And let my mom come over and make sure Iā€™m on task. Sheā€™s so excited she can barely contain herself. :grin:

3 Likes

Iā€™m here and SO excited! Secretly in the back of my mind I was crossing my fingers you would jump ship from the dark side and join us on the Tandem side:heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, youā€™re going down, woman! Iā€™m chasing that delivery man next Friday to hijack my Tandem pump and supplies. He wonā€™t know what hit himā€¦

Challenge acceptedā€¦

2 Likes

Your delivery guy doesnā€™t even come until next Friday. If I canā€™t beat you on this, I can never, ever show my face again. But I know where you liveā€¦ kind ofā€¦ so I could always just head up your way Thursday night if things are looking tight. And take out your delivery guy before you even see him coming. :grin:

1 Like

This needs to be reposted and reposted again!!

2 Likes

This is going to be so fun!!

Iā€™m so happy for you @Pgithens! I knew you were waiting to get one but wasnā€™t sure when that would happen!

1 Like

Not if she gets me so worked up I do something stupid. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Okay, but when they find me outside of Food Lion, facedown, in a pile of pumps and tubing, one of you better feel a little guilty. Preferably both.

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb @Pgithens I would ditto all of Thomasā€™s advice. You are at the right place for starting it up and working with it. Like he said we all have our own little tidbits and they all help!

The beeping doesnā€™t bother me but it really bothers some people so this is something I did not know! Great tip!!

The charging doesnā€™t bother me. I just keep the charger plugged in where I watch TV and top it off if Iā€™m sitting there anyway.

pfffffffffft!!! iā€™m staying up allllllll night watching my back and the delivery truck and drinking all the coffee so thereā€™s none left for your day-old-cold-coffee-drinking-buttā€¦

1 Like