Adapter to connect luer-lock infusion set to t:slim cartridge

Over on tudiabetes someone has posted the parts list and photographs on how to make an adapter that enables us to connect a t:slim cartridge to a standard luer-lock infusion set.

The idea is to use a 3-part compression fitting that squeezes onto the cartridge’s tube after you clip off the proprietary connector end, and presents a female male luer-lock end.

The thread with photos:

The parts list and description:

Edit: this may not be the one you want:

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/uploads/short-url/5bQ26Wa17iGpwKNFhmJhxOedKAg.pptx

I now think the right one is:

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/uploads/short-url/ibl7WL7mw3wr1OPw1pPpCkyKrsp.pptx

One warning: these lab-grade parts are not sterile. Supposedly they can stand being soaked in rubbing alcohol, but again, these parts are not sterile.

This topic was previously discussed in Starting on t:slim X2: my first questions

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting solution. I personally would prefer one that lets you adapt the Tlock to Luer, but if you are looking for a solution today, this looks like one.

1 Like

It looks like I was wrong with my understanding of the luer-lock gender. The piece with the screw threads on the inside is considered the “male” end. So it looks like the correct parts list is this one:

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/uploads/short-url/ibl7WL7mw3wr1OPw1pPpCkyKrsp.pptx

1 Like

I posted on this in September:

I found a box of TSlim carts with luer lock connectors. (No longer available) Have been refilling the carts but think the little pump mechanism might be wearing out after three refills. Discovered that the Tandem Varisoft infusion sets have the same site connector as the Unomedical Comfort sets, and I use more than one insert for each tubing set, so looks like I can use everything I had in stock without monkeying around with an adapter.

For adapters, I decided that I could not sanitize the parts well enough to carry a fluid I was going to inject in my body. Maintaining sterility while refilling the Tandem carts is tricky enough.

1 Like

I only filled tandem luer-lock cartridges three times, for the same reason: I began to sense that I wasn’t always getting the full dose when the cartridge was nearing 1000u of delivery.

1 Like

I am hoping someone has an update on this subject. I have been using the Tandem for a few months now and am having terrible trouble with their sets. I have tried the Autosoft 90 and the Trusteel. I have tried the other brands of these types of sets in the past, and also the angled sets. The sets I would love to go back to are both Luer- lock sets.
So is anyone managing to effectively adapt the T lock connection to Luer lock:- PLEASE HELP!

1 Like

What kind of trouble? Do sets come off or absorption issues, etc?

Have you tried the autosoft XC? They are similar to 90s, but are easier to connect/disconnect.

(My diagnosis/history is similar to yours, but a few years later so missed the boiling phase !!)

2 Likes

Oh, the boiling! Haha, that was soon followed by the “kit” swimming in surgical spirit and sloshing around everywhere.
About the sets:- i think part of the issue is my skin itself. I am taking daily aspirin for cardiac protection so am bruising quite frequently. This doesn’t bother me in itself, it is the bleeding. When I “hit” a capillary, the cannula or needle blocks, but I often don’t know this until my BG sky-rockets. Sometimes I CAN feel that it’s not going to be a viable set because it is uncomfortable. Often when I remove one of these I bleed quite profusely. With the Autosoft 90 another issue is bent cannulas. I never had a bent cannula with the Quickset. My theory is that the relevant difference between the 2 is that with the Autosoft you don’t have control of the needle pulling out of the cannula, and this pulls the cannula part-way out, and causes it to bend. With the Quickset when you release the Quickserter it allows you to put your fingers either side to support the cannula as you withdraw the needle.
The Trusteel is working somewhat better than the Autosoft, but still similar issues. I change the set, and either my BG starts the upward climb or the site hurts. I don’t mind that it hurts, within reason, but can usually be sure that if it does hurt it is going to be another failed set.
My worst day, I had to change it 5 times, by which time i just gave a bolus with my pen, went to bed and hoped for the best. Gave more pen- boluses during the night, next morning off I go again. I got a prescription and have Levemir ready to go back to MDII. But having been pumping for 23 years, I really can’t bring myself to do that. I keep telling myself there is a solution. I might also go back to using my old Medtronic 522 but I love the Tandem and G6 with the pump as the receiver. I am becoming really frustrated and stressed by all this. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for “listening “
I have not tried the Autosoft XC. I don’t think I have heard of it. I will have a look and see if they are available in Australia.

2 Likes

I’d switch back to Quicksets immediately if they were available for Tandem. So easy and less waste.

After trigger to insert XC, I also press down for about 10 seconds, before pulling back inserter, while other hand holds down skin around plastic portion. So far no bent cannulas like I had with 90s.

4 Likes

Another update:- I’m having another try with the Autosoft this morning. First one didn’t feel quite right and so I took it out and OMG for the first time ever the actual needle was bent! I’m also going to aske my Endo if I really need the aspirin.
I have checked and it appears that we don’t have the XC here in Australia.
Did I see on here somewhere that someone was heating the luer end and the Tlock end and making them fit??? I don’t have a Luer lock to try, so I can’t imagine whether it could be possible.

1 Like

I remember reading somewhere that someone was dipping the luer end and Tlock end in boiling water, then jamming the soft, deformable ends together and twisting. I’d be concerned about leaking or failure at that kind of connection, but I can also imagine being desperate enough to try it.

1 Like

How old is that Medtronic? If it’s sufficiently old and you carry a phone anyway, LOOP or openAPS might be a very good solution.

2 Likes

I thought that’s what I saw. I realised that the drawing- up needle is Luer lock. I cut a bit off the edges with scissors and managed to wedge it onto a Tlock connection, just to see what wouLd happen. Looked pretty wonky, so I will get some Quicksets and a Quick- serter and have a go. If it doesn’t work I can use them with my Medtronic pump.

1 Like

Oh, great idea and I think it is the appropriate model to do that. However I honestly doubt I have the technological know-how or mental energy to ‘go there’ i would need someone to set it all up for me and teach me! I honestly think this is the most defeated I have felt in the 59 years since diagnosis.

1 Like

There may be an intermediate possibility. I vaguely recall reading about loop parties where people meet to set up LOOP or openAPS, some as beginners and some more experienced. I read a couple bloggers from Australia who are looping, and their web sites have “contact me” facilities; maybe they would have advice for you.

LOOP runs on iPhone. openAPS and relatives run on Android.

https://diabetogenic.blog/ is Renza Scibilia who runs LOOP on an iPhone

https://bionicwookiee.com/ is David Burren, who runs one of the APS loops on an Android phone.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Feel better taday as I have a ‘good’ Trusteel in!
I have ordered some Luer lock Orbitsoft sets as they look vey similar to the Quickset.My plan moving forward is
1/ see if I like them and whether I can squeeze it into the T-lock.
2/ If not, consider looking at reviews of the Ypso pump
3/ Or contact the people you have cited.
Thanks again.

3 Likes

If you get desperate enough to consider changing pumps and are up for some experimentation, I would see if you local high school or college would have one of the kids learning CAD build you an STL file for the adapter, then just 3D print it. It wouldn’t be as good as a medically approved plastic, but it would work, and you can print in PVC which I expect would be better than PLA. It isn’t a hard problem, but would make a nice project that would help someone. If you can’t find any local resources I could ask my son (3rd year ME student) tackle the design in the summer.

2 Likes

Here is link on TUD with details on solution.
I have relative with 3D printer, but very busy, so have not been able to try yet.

Let me know if your son would be able to use the linked instructions!!

3 Likes

I think the design may need a bit of modification, unless the Medtronic Quickset is Luer, it doesn’t really say in the design. Also, I don’t understand the rubber stopper use. May need to do a bit of investigation. Maybe @Eric has a luer lock set and of course I have plenty of the Tlock cartridges.

1 Like

The 3D printer idea is interesting. I just did something that I would not recommended because it may be prone to occlusions at the connection and, even though, it is fairly tight. It could come apart. I was just playing with the cartridge I changed and the syringe that is used to fill the cartridges.

I cut the T:Lock end off the tubing that goes to the infusion set. I inserted the needle of the syringe into that end of the connector. Pumping the syringe showed free flow of air. Screwed it into the cartridge end of the connector. Drew the plunger to 3 ml, the vacuum held.

For this to work one would need to get a Leur lock male to male coupler.

Perhaps using marine type heat shrink tubing would secure the needle to the connector.

BTW- I don’t think that heating would allow the Leur Lock to connect properly with T:Lock. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I got too much time on my hands.

2 Likes