So, I just started this new thing

…and I’m interested in seeing if anyone does it.

So, recently, since installing SugarMate and being able to see (on dual screens) the sugars ALL THE TIME, I have began “predicting” where I think the BG’s are going to be on their next tic.

Does anyone do that? Trying to predict the trend? FYI - I’m actually VERY close most of the time (within 1 - 3 numbers off).

It’s pretty fun, challenging and I’m thinking of doing something similar with Liam when he gets older as a game. (Who can predict the most “tics” in 15 or 30 minutes…winner gets a prize.

5 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean?

Yes, I have two monitors. I can be doing whatever on my main screen and on my second screen I only have the website open, maximized and see the data in real time as his BG’s are updated. Sorry, my original remark might have been ambiguous.

It’s really good for treating trends quickly.

Dexcom follow is on my phone…my phone isn’t always with me and I have to unlock it all the time because it locks and/or it may not even be near me…wherever Liam is is where my phone usually is (G5 mobile collector requires it to be near him).

But having sugarmate.io being able to pull that date from the iCloud right onto the browser, I can see the data whenever I’m logged into the computer and looking at it on a web browser.

1 Like

So sorry, I am really dense today: how is it different from your Dexcom follow screen?

Liam may be anywhere in the house. Sugarmate.io allows him (and my phone) to be anywhere in the house and me to be in the basement on my computer and still able to see his sugars in real time, on the sugarmate.io portal. It’s just more convenient to me and I have much easier access to the data instead of constantly chasing the phone around to look at the phone app.

Or, if Erin was home, we could look at the sugars on her phone using Follow…but again, we still have to unlock her phone and look at the data (after we find the phone which is always an issue in our house since babies play with our phones.)

Have a webpage open 24/7 is easy, fast, and truly “portable”

SugarMate Monitor

Everything Else Monitor

Both Monitors

2 Likes

OK, now I get it :slight_smile: Your use case was quite different from mine. I am with my follow phone everywhere, but with my computer only a few hours a day.

I constantly try to guess the next few points when my son goes either high or low. I use my guesses to inject mostly micro boluses at night, or to reduce or suspend basals for short amounts of time, until we get to relative stability.

1 Like

I work from home 3 days a week so I’m constantly on my computers. These are my personal computers. I have two more I use for work…one company issued and one government issued. I do access sugarmate.io on my work laptop (when in the office), but I don’t use the government laptop for any of that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you able to set that to alarm at high or low numbers?

Yes. The ranges are configurable and I can set when I want notifications and alarms or phonecalls

I’ve never used it, so I don’t know how current the readings are and if it is stable.

But if you are comfortable with it being reliable, I remember you talking about having a problem waking up for alerts.

How about some portable laptop speakers with an amp? You could easily find a set of speakers that would wake you.

I think these Bose speakers are 22 watts.

Just make sure you close email and other apps so you don’t get bothered all night by other stuff.

1 Like

No the phone calls wake me up reliably. They’re awesome. Best thing since sliced bread. The alarms for the web app don’t work yet (for the PC)

Plus, my computer’s are in the basement and we sleep on the upper floors.

1 Like

Harold, I’m really wondering if you would benefit from an Apple Watch. EH uses his on and off, but I swear that his blood sugar is better when he’s using it because he can just glance at his wrist. I know that’s kind of off-topic, but it just felt like it might be helpful for you. I don’t know if the watch would let you use “follow” or if you have to have it paired with the Dex app on the phone in range. But EH has the watch face set up with his BG numbers.

Also, I should’ve added, this seems so cool that you have found something that works for you! I’m not trying to say that you should get something else. But I was just thinking you might enjoy it!

And it’s great that you’re being able to predict what’s going to happen next! It’s kind of like using the force, as a non-diabetic. Also, I should’ve added, this seems so cool that you have found something that works for you! I’m not trying to say that you should get something else. But I was just thinking you might enjoy it!

And it’s great that you’re being able to predict what’s going to happen next! It’s kind of like using the force, as a non-diabetic. Okay, okay, not the same. :wink:

2 Likes

A watch is definitely in Liam’s future. We’re leaning more toward the Sony Smartwatch, though since it can serve as a collector, then send data via wi-fi to the cloud which will make viewing the data on the web portals possible for Erin and I from home. As the time draws near, we’ll definitely be getting more serious about some watch. I haven’t thought about getting one for myself, but if I could get his data on my watch somehow, that would definitely be something I would consider.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think this is a wonderful idea! And another thing to do along the same lines would be to watch it after a meal, so he can understand how the CGM line relates to food. Not sure if you have already done that, but just to start linking those things in his mind.

2 Likes

I do need to discuss trends with him…right now he just knows a phone and/or receiver needs to stay with him so that “Bob” can talk to the phone/receiver so that we know what his sugars are all the time. Reminding him to to carry those with him is frequently required, but I don’t blame him…So much to teach him. Good news though is that we have many years to teach him all the things he’ll need to be successful (and hopefully a flat-liner one day like a lot of you old-timers) as an adult.

2 Likes