Signal failure?

I used Libre with xdrip and a Medtronic pump for several years with no major problems , apart from an allergy or reaction to the libre adhesive.
On 7 May 2020 I started on TSlim and G5. The first transmfaied in about a week and was replaced by AMSL (I am in Australia). The second transmitter failed in a bit over a week and was also replaced.
The third transmitter was started on 29 May 2020, and is still running.
I use an OPPO phone which will not run the official Dexcom app, so am using the app from Build Your Own etc. I have had no problems till about 2 weeks ago. The phone will lose connection to the sensor at random times, though almost always at night while I am sleeping. It will not reconnect unless I force stop the app, delete cache, uninstall, unpaid Seconds on Bluetooth, reboot, install, reenter transmitter I’d and then usually reconnects in about 5 to 10 minutes. In the last 24 hours or so the loss of signal is becoming more common, and several times the phone has failed to connect within the 30 minutes.
I have also installed xdrip today and got a connection but it failed after about 4 readings.
The connection to the pump has not failed, so it does not seem to be a simple transmitter failure.
As it is approaching 3 months, could the transmitter be failing in some strange way which affects it’s connection to Dexcom or xdrip, but not to the pump?
I am due to change sensor on Monday, should I use a new transmitter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

If you can get Xdrip working you can actually see the battery voltage of each cell, which can tell you a lot about the transmitter. We have had members run G5 transmitters for many many months past 3. If it is connecting to the pump but not other tech that means to my limited knowledge that you can fiddle with the settings and get it to work. Others should be by shortly with better suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

1 Like

I got xdrip working again. On system status screen shows sensor 79/79/79.2 days, voltage A 315, voltage B 294, Resistance 1198, Temperature 36 C. Hopefully these will mean something to someone.

1 Like

Unfortunately that means that your transmitter is close to death. When both voltages drop below 300, the system will give you the dreaded message of transmitter death. As you can see in this thread, if you use a good fresh transmitter that hasn’t been stored too long, you can get an impressive 130 or ore days from them.

Hi @Hrasky The developer of xDrip+ posted this in a message to me

Lower internal resistance means it can push more power and is generally better, that figure can be used to assess some battery health but more usefully the quality of any battery replacement. We mark >1400 resistance as bad, >1000 as questionable and <750 as great. voltage a < 300 is marked as bad, voltage b < 290 is marked as bad
2 Likes

Doc, are your estimates for the G5 the G6 or both?

@RCA221 Sorry I left that out. This is strictly for G5. The radically different battery architecture of the G6 is still a mystery.

3 Likes