G6 transmitter only lasting 60 days

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with the transmitters not making it to 90 days?
The last 2 transmitter we’ve had stopped working after ~60 days. It’s like the Bluetooth stops working – the phone and the pump cannot connect to the transmitter. I cannot find the Bluetooth signal using other phones. Both times this happened it was when we inserted a new sensor and were trying to connect to start the warmup through xdrip+.

Setup:
Dexcom G6 (no receiver)
Android phone with xdrip+. The phone cannot run the official Dexcom app from the Play Store
Tandem t:slim X2 pump
Location = Canada

Contacting Dexcom support was a little frustrating since we are not using the official app, they say that they cannot see that the transmitter was ever activated and say there is nothing they can do. Luckily Tandem sent us a replacement the first time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since we are paying for this out of pocket, especially extending sensors and transmitter life.

Thank you.

2 Likes

@C6H12O6 I’ve had that problem as wel. Typically it occurs for me when the transmitter can’t connect to the phone or the pump and so is trying endlessly to connect and cycling to make a connection which wears the battery down prematurely. The more stable the Bluetooth connection the better luck I’ve had with making transmitter stretch. If you were using XDrip, you can see what’s going on in the events log by using the hamburger in the upper right corner of the home screen.

1 Like

Thanks. That does make sense since there are extended periods where he is away from his phone.

I’ll check the xdrip logs to see what going on.

The pump should always have connection though.

1 Like

We use the official app, and we have had one transmitter out of the last three die around 60 days. Dex replaced it, but as always it is just another of the frustrations that get heaped on the pile.

FWIW our very first G6 transmitter lasted on 6 weeks (not on any pump yet, only connecting to iPhone and the receiver as back up when needed). I got a LOW battery alert. I called Dexcom and they said that is unusual but it should last through at least 1 more senson session. We were switching sensors that day, and maybe 3 hours into the new sensor it completely died.

Our next transmitter lasted CLOSE to 90 days, ending its life around day 86 I believe it was. I still called Dexcom on the issue as I don’t want to be w/o a transmitter or sensors.

3 Likes