Should I own GINORMOUS underwear to be Unlimited? Do you?

@Millz on the back of your calves… I have seen other people make mention of this. For some reason it makes me cringe, but it makes sense. It’s not on an area prone to a lot of rubbing (beltline, for instance)… do you find it comfortable and maybe ‘forgettable’? :wink:

@DeeM - Yes, for me the sensor stays put for as long as the sensor lasts (on average 18-21 days) and the little to no issues with comfort while sleeping/ exercising!!

I forget about it most of the time. In the summer, when wearing shorts, people have asked me “what’s on your leg”… a few times I had to stop and think about it before answering. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve been reading this thread and cringing. I just rotate Dexcom sites between my left and right upper abdomen, just above the belt line. Been doing this for 12 years. Never had a problem. Never even keep track of the sites.

Just very alarming that so many people have to go through such contortions to make their technology work.

1 Like

That is me too.

I have a paranoia about lipohypertrophy with the insulin pump (I have no idea why) so I like to use as much real-estate for the pump as possible.

With that said, about 90% of my MDI injections went into my “love handles” on my side and I do not have lipohypertrophy.

Acutally, my paranoia came from many years ago from getting a small lump on my abdomen from giving too many large R/NPH shots into my abdomen. When the needles were longer (and fatter) I found it was the most comfortable place to go because most other places on my body at the time had about 0 fat and I would go IM and it would hurt.

@Aaron I too used to use enormous twice a day injections of R & L until I went on MDI. I was diagnosed 48 years ago.

Despite always injecting into my abdomen and rotating between left and right abdomen for the Dexcom, I’ve not ever had a skin problem and yet to have subcutaneous problems. I think I must be the luckiest diabetic around.

To this day I still think that L&R is left & right instead of Lente & Regular, and give Tresiba on the left and Novolog on the right.

6 Likes

I’ve been on G5 for about 18 months and until about 6 weeks ago I wouldn’t put it anywhere but my stomach because that’s what Dexcom says to do. They also tell you to change your sensors every 7days but I don’t. I get a min of 18-21 days from a sensor and the longer its in the more accurate the readings are, strange but true.

About 6 weeks ago I decided to try the back of my arm and I love the location… It’s reading more accurately from my arm then my stomach.

I saw a comment where someone said calves? I spoke to my CDE and Endocrinologist about this and both said DON’T DO IT!! Forearms and calves are not good locations for the readings for a plethora of reasons. If you’re putting Dexcom or Omni Pod on your calves I implore you to talk to your Dr. Mine strongly recommend against those placements but did like arm and upper thigh sites.

1 Like

Would you be able to share some of those reasons with us?

1 Like

We use the back of the arms exclusively after trying thighs, butt, stomach. The back of the arms always give us great numbers.

One main reason is there is less fatty tissue on forearm and calves versus your thigh, stomach or arm.

And putting a Dexcom sensor or cannula into muscle rather than fat the Dexcom won’t read accurately and the insulin isn’t absorbed the same as into fatty tissue.

this is the wonderful thing about being on a tethered silhouette pump. my infusion is the size of a flat quarter and i can clip the pump right onto my underwear, so the infusion area can be anywhere on my body without noticing its presence. sleeping or not.

1 Like

So it appears that my Flonase/hybrid pumping-meal injections/butt podding methods are leading to much better bg consistency and modest weight gain. My pants are getting tighter and that’s a beautiful thing! Being down seven pounds in the last six months was a big signal that things were not working. I don’t have seven pounds to lose. I’m already thinner than strategically helpful as a podder.

So, in the words of the great Spinal Tap:
“The bigger the cushion, the more usable pod sites you have.”

4 Likes

A follow up about sensors in non-standard locations: at my last Endo appointment last Friday, 7/13/18, my Dr noticed the Dex on my calf and asked how I Iiked that spot - I told her it was now my preferred spot. She interned at Joslin and I respect her input. I asked specifically if she was aware of any legitimate concerns with wearing a Dexcom sensor there. Her response - “as long as you are satisfied that the BG readings are good/stable, I don’t see any reason to avoid that location”!!

I guess as much as YDMV, so may the feedback from our Doctors.

7 Likes