Sensor Wire Detached

My sensor wire detached upon removal from my leg. This has happened once or twice before on my stomach sites but the wire was still visible and I could just pull it out. Today I set the used sensor down before I looked at it and then I was not able to locate the wire anywhere and it is not visible at the injection site. Is this something to be concerned about or just monitor for infection? Dexcom site says to contact doctor immediately but I would rather get real world advice from you all on this forum. Thanks! :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this question @Jran1984T1 . I don’t feel qualified to give you advice but am looking forward to what the advice might be.

As I reread your post and imagine this happening, I do have one question -

Are you sure that it is still in your body? Can you feel it?

Good luck!

2 Likes

I am not sure it is still in my body, which is why I really don’t want to go the doctor if it’s not necessary. The site has been irritated and feels different but I’m not sure if it’s in my mind. It’s not overly red. I looked everywhere around me for the wire but can’t find it but it is so small.

1 Like

I am surprised how easily the G6 wires come completely loose from the sensor when I remove my transmitter for the next new sensor. I pull out the wire from the sensor after use sometimes just to look at it and about a quarter inch of wire goes into the sensor above the skin. I’d assume that quarter inch wouldn’t somehow get jammed so far into your leg with the rest of the wire that you couldn’t find it sitting above the skin. Especially since the needle device only goes into the skin so far, and the wire itself is not sharp so I wouldn’t guess that it would be able to travel further than intended.

I’d guess odds are good that it fell off the sensor when you removed your transmitter and you just can’t find it. But if your old sensor site doesn’t settle down in a day or two, I’d probably go get it checked out.

2 Likes

Thank you! I am thinking the same thing. And that makes more sense since the wire doesn’t go all the way in the skin. I ran a magnet all around the chair and surrounding floor but I’m guessing I just didn’t hit it right to find it. The sensor was working up until it ended so I’m sure the wire was still connected to the sensor when I pulled it out and it just fell off. Thanks so much for the feedback!

2 Likes

So because I’m feeling so sciencey today, I tried picking up a loose G6 sensor wire with magnets from my toolbox. The wire doesn’t appear to be magnetic from what I tried. My magnets are super strong and look like the picture below. The wire wouldn’t stick no matter what.

In the process of testing, I accidentally dropped the loose wire on my bathroom floor, and it took forever to find. I found six black lab dog furs first that I thought were the wire each time. :rofl::rofl:

So I think it’s no wonder that the wire is lost. They’re impossible to find when detached from the sensor even when I know where I dropped it on white tile!

3 Likes

The sensor wire is made of silver and platinum metal with polymer membranes. Neither Silver nor Platinum are magnetic.

5 Likes

LOL thank you so much for the experiment! I always assumed they were metal since they look and feel like it. I’m feeling more confident that it is just long lost.

2 Likes

Appreciate the answers from @T1Allison and @ClaudnDaye. I would not have been as concerned if I had not found this FAQ on Dexcom site. I feel confident from your responses it is highly unlikely it remained in the skin.

https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/what-if-my-dexcom-g6-sensor-wire-breaks-off

2 Likes

It’s hard to know which statements are written by doctors who are helping us avoid medical problems, and which statements are written by lawyers who are just trying to avoid any potential corporate liability, no matter how improbable.

5 Likes

Thanks @bkh - exactly what I was thinking! Causing unnecessary concern in an attempt to avoid lawsuits.

1 Like