Running with OmniLoop

What is the purpose of the beeps? Is there no other way to see that the bolus was successful? Like a display?

I try to keep my PDM as quiet as possible. I have all the noises turned off on my PDM.

1 Like

You can see it in the Insulin Delivery section… tap on it and it takes you to stats on two tabs: for me on Omnipod, 1) Resevoir - this shows changes in Insulin levels over time; and 2) Event History - this is where you can see the Bolus and Basal delivered by event (type, dose of insulin, date and time).

I like the beeps when I’m really busy and don’t have my phone out - noisy places like airports.

Loop suggestion - It would be very helpful to be able to toggle the beeps On and Off with a slide button in the app!

Here’s to a great experience Looping!

2 Likes

As @Millz mentioned, you can view the bolus and basal in the insulin delivery screen, but it sometimes takes a free minutes to propagate, at least on my iPhone.

You can also view insulin delivery in Apple Health Today screen. So if I’m unsure about the delivery, I will check both places!

1 Like

Ditto in both points @Trying mentioned: both a bit of a delay in the Bolus info showing up and using Apple Health.

1 Like

Is the beep volume adjustable with the phone volume? If I could turn it down at night that would be okay.

I am always leery of making more diabetes noises than necessary.
:grinning:

EDIT:
Actually, the way I read this comment, it sounds like the beep is not on the phone, but on the pod itself! Which means the volume would not be adjustable.

Is it on the phone or the pod?

1 Like

No, it is not adjustable, and yes, it is on the pod! But at least it is a confirmation, louder than the pod delivery clicks. But yes, I know, I try to limit the diabetes noise, too, which is why I loved xDrip+ as the collector vs Dexcom app whose alerts are deafening!

2 Likes

I continued to work on cadence yesterday and today. I know my posts are wordy so please just skip to the Numbers and Graph if short on time!!!

Strange, Avg. Cadence continues to be 172, despite seeing 169-179 on my watch, same number for the past 3 days! Seems like it should be a higher average! :thinking: I did notice that the few times I stopped (including once to take pics of the beautiful ospreys sitting in a tree :owl:!), that my Avg. Cadence shot down to 102 or so while I was just standing. I’m wondering if Apple Watch fails to stop the Cadence sensor when one pauses in a Workout? Does anyone know :question:

I got my Huma Chia Plus+ order today, so tried out the Banana Blackberry! It doesn’t taste anything like banana or blackberry, but was bearable! I also carried Sport Beans for the run.

One significant change I see with the higher cadence is lower BGs after the run for hours, even through dinner. This happened all three days since I upped the cadence. I guess that is a good thing! I just need to prepare for it and monitor more carefully. I was a bit more prepared today, with only 4% low so far.

Since my BG was on the high side, and trending higher, I left my Scheduled Basal active and relied on Loop to manage the basal based on my BGs. Loop gave me mostly ZB. I switched to a 20% of Basal Override about 30 mins into the run, same time I had my first carbs. Loop continued to give me ZB though since my BG never rose above 90. I resumed my Schedule Basal about 15 mins prior to run end, to help prevent the usual after run spike. It helped because I never rose above 112 post run.

Here are the numbers for today’s run, yesterday’s much the same w/out the Huma:

12:34 Run Start, BG 98, Loop Scheduled Basal 0.5U, Loop primarily gave ZB
01:06 BG 79, 1/2 Huma (13g carbs), Loop Override Run20s90 (20% of Scheduled Basal if above 90)
01:26 BG 63, 1/2 Huma (12g carbs)
01:46 BG 59, 3 Sport Beans (6g carbs)
02:06 BG 68, 2 Sport Beans (4g carbs), Loop Scheduled Basal 0.5U/hr giving temps 1.3U - 1.7U for about 30 mins., then again reverted to ZB for 2+ hours.
02:21 Run end, BG 80
02:45 Boost shake
Duration: 1 hr 38 mins
Distance: approx. 9.4 mi
Avg. Cadence: 172SPM

Tidepool graph:

2 Likes

Super interesting!

2 Likes

This might be of interest. Because I was doing some short speed segments today, I had a good graph for today’s run that shows the relationship between pace, cadence, and heart rate.

The first one I zoomed in and removed heart rate, just to make it easier to see. The green line is pace and the yellow line is cadence.

In this first image you can see how the cadence change follows closely with the pace change. As pace goes up, cadence does too! That makes sense. The only way to run faster is by a change to cadence, stride length, or both. No other way to run faster.

In this next image, I zoomed out and put the heart rate back in (heart rate is in red).

It is cool to see how the heart rate also follows the change in pace and change in cadence, but there is a bit of a lag with heart rate. It takes a few seconds before your heart realizes you are running faster and increases. But all 3 follow each other.

As the intervals continued, my heart got more accustomed to the rapid changes in speed, and in the later intervals it did not spike as much. The fact that heart rate does not increase as the workout continues is called “pace:heart rate coupling”. It is one of the ways of gauging your fitness. If you consistently decouple less than 5%, that means you are ready to ramp up your aerobic training.

4 Likes

To use @T1Allison’s words, this is super interesting!! I’ve not seen these 3 metrics overlayed liked this before, but there is a clear “coupling” to them. Your HR definitely decreased significantly as the intervals continued, despite maintaining what looks like the exact same pace & cadence for each interval! This looks amazing to me!

If you don’t mind me asking, what software do you use to view these metrics? I don’t think Apple Health/Activity captures the cadence samplings, at least I don’t see them in the same way I see pace and bpm. Apple only shows Avg. Pace based on mile, too :frowning: Maybe I can install a third party app onto iPhone/watch… :thinking: I’d like to test this on myself, at least to see what sort of shape I’m in. What speed segments should I use to test this? I don’t have access to a track or treadmill, but maybe I can follow one of the past speed workouts you outlined for @Nickyghaleb.

2 Likes

All of this is from Training Peaks. You can also chart your power, work, watts, intensity factor, stress load. All kinds of stuff, depending on what watch you are using.

The right tools and software depends on what you want to do. You can get a lot from Apple, but if you really want to analyze things like this, I really recommend Garmin for all of this stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Eric!! It looks like trainingpeaks integrates with quite a few apps. In particular, iSmoothRun which seems to have similar metrics to what you displayed in your screenshots. I may try these together.

Yes, Garmin seems to have the best features! That would mean wearing TWO watches though :frowning:

1 Like

I am having to figure all that out too.

I am planning on wearing them both on my left wrist with a sweatband between them, so the two watches don’t mess each other up by hitting each other and accidentally pressing buttons on each other.

Garmin has a lot of cool things. I am looking at power now. That’s kind of a relatively new thing to the running world (been in cycling for a long time). I need to do a post on it.

1 Like

I’m not sure what ‘power’ is! Not battery power, right?! I know the Garmin has superior battery usage and can last 2 weeks if GPS is off!

Great idea about the sweatband between the watches.

1 Like

Can we add more sweatbands to your outfit, @Eric? With two watches and sweatbands…I feel like we can take this in a really great direction!

2 Likes

No, not battery power. It’s kind of a new thing (not brand new, but relatively new).

Really cool stuff. I gotta post about it.

Here is power. It is measured in Watts, just like on light bubs. It is energy divided by time. Power is the rate of doing work.

It is a more exact calculation of how much energy you are using on your run.

If you run up a hill, your pace may slow down even though you are working harder to get up the hill. That is why power is a more precise measurement.

If you only look at distance or speed, it does not really tell you how hard you worked. Because if you run on a hilly course it’s not the same amount of work as it would be on a flat course.

This is what it looks like. These are Watts.

2 Likes

Oh, this would be practical for me since my runs always include hills!! :slight_smile:

I was wondering what the ‘W’ was referring to in the Training Peaks last screenshot “4 Track your Progress 292 W 20 min Power”!!

In my last race I did not look at pace or time at all! I simply tried to hit my target power numbers for each mile. When running uphill, the power meter recognized that it was harder, and I did not struggle to maintain a speed, I just stayed in the right power area. When going downhill, the power dropped because it was easier, so I went faster. Good stuff.

Absolutely nothing with pace or time for the whole race, only power. I wrote my power targets on my arm for each mile.

And you can see the pod up on my shoulder. :grinning:

3 Likes

I want to strap a Go Pro to one of your upcoming head sweatbands to get a good view of people’s reactions to seeing the Intense Bionic Runner Man who’s passing them…

2 Likes

…they probably think the pod has performance enhancing drugs in it…

2 Likes