Does omni work for everyone?

I’m on day 3 of omnipod. Had to change a leaky sensor on day 2. Now my sugar has cruised its way to 200 like it did with leaky sensor and work come down. I’ve taken an injection in case, but this one does not seem to be leaking.
But I started climbing quickly I upped a temp basal. Corrected… came down a little then right back up. Does anyone have issues like this with omnipod? Do they maybe make a longer canula by chance?

I’ve never been on a pump before but I hate being over 150 ish it makes me feel icky.

2 Likes

im in about the 3rd week its getting better but it does take a while to adjust it. figuring the correct basil rate and adjusting it throughout the day is where i am. the educator started me on .95 units an hour for the entire day, I’m now doing .95/hr at midday 1.15 till about 6pm 1.5 per hr overnight, and that changes if increased activity … my firsy few days really were quite high

3 Likes

I’m not even budging even with an injection. Instead going up. I feel like that’s an indicator of it not working but idk. I had a 60% basal temp running and have given correction on pump prior. I’ve also injected a correction. It’s been at least two hours. I’m loving the idea of omnipod but I’m not liking the learning process

2 Likes

I have had the same problems…seems to take forever to go down…but I have sometimes been over aggressive in treating the high and crashed about 4 hours later. (then had to correct low, over corrected and had another high to deal with)…
the better I get in adjusting the basil rate the better luck I have in keeping the day level,

1 Like

Pumps require lots of testing and dialing in the correct settings. Roller coastering is normal if the settings aren’t quite right. I recommend doing more testing on the right settings while pumping. Basal, ISF, DIA, I:C and ask the other important diabetic settings acronyms.

4 Likes

Yes, but I wasn’t on what I consider a roller coaster. I just shot up randomly and did not come down for 5 hours even with tons of insulin (including injections) and water. Changed my sight after 2-3 hours of running high… seemed leaky but my sugars just came back down in the 90s which is where they were before the high. So pod change seems like it was necessary. It just sucks that this is the 3rd pod and I just started Friday. But I know about the basal thing.

My high sugars wouldn’t even come down with a temp basal of 60% increase. I wasn’t even budging and that’s normally been working to bring down those highs when I definitely need more basal. But I’m trying to get graphs for my trainer to look at so we can properly adjust basal settings, but the pods failing on me are screwing that up :sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

When this happens – and when it appears to rule out a pod problem – then I start looking at other things: Did I eat something that might send me high for a long period if I just do a normal (rather than extended) bolus, such as pizza, Chinese/Thai food, real bagels, creamy cheesy pasta? Am I under stress (including stressing about high BGs)? Do I have an infection of some kind (coming down with cold, for instance)?

Aside from all that, as others have said, it takes a little while to settle on all the right pump settings. Trainers tend to start you out with conservative goals, because they don’t like you going low. I spent my first few weeks on the pod much higher than I wanted to be, before I started putting in my own numbers. My first month was very discouraging.

About the leaks you notice: Are they with basal or boluses? Any bolus, or only large ones? If only with large boluses, you may be prone to what’s called tunneling, and you may need to limit the size of each bolus (and inject the rest) or extend each bolus. I find that even extending over 1/2 hour can reduce the likelihood of a leak.

5 Likes

As Eric says (and the rest of us now), “If in doubt change it out.”

When you are high the insulin requirements also increases. We rage bolus when that happens and deal with the impending potential low later.

6 Likes

Basal rates are horrible for dealing with highs due to the nature of how they work… Takes forever to get the insulin you need. This is why we moved to the Omniloop FreeAPS branch…micro boluses given every 5 minutes that give you the insulin when you want and need it, not hours later.

Untitled

7 Likes

When my BG goes over 160 for any length of time I become extra insulin-resistant, so it takes unexpectedly large over-corrections to bring my BG back down.

So my guess is that you needed more insulin for that meal, and then you needed a whole lot more once you went high. That would be why the injection didn’t work to correct the BG. The injection was a good way to get around a possible pump issue, and drinking water when high is a good technique, but my simple refrain is that if your BG is too high you need more insulin.

If the basal setting is right for this time of day (i.e., your BG stays steady if you don’t eat) then a high BG after eating might just mean you needed a bigger bolus. That could reflect a need for a change to the insulin:carb ratio, or it could be because of insulin absorption issues at that site, or it could be because of issues with the pod, or it could be any number of other factors such as infection or stress or hormones or medications.

I start to have issues with pod boluses approaching 10u, and anything above that is guaranteed to go wrong, so now I either give large meal boluses with a syringe, or I split the pod dose into a series of 5u administrations every 10 to 20 minutes, starting as preboluses and continuing until I’ve had enough, as shown by the CGM trend line. It seems that every kind of pump has its quirks, so we just get to pick what quirks we choose to live with.

7 Likes

Were you doing standard pen injections or intra-muscular injections?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of intramuscular injections for insulin. Always been taught to do it in fatty areas.

2 Likes

It ended up being the pod. I changed the pod and came down within a couple hours to 90s. The ■■■■ back up bc of dawn phenomenon but have been fairly steady since then. I just started about 3-4 days ago on pump so we are still learning my basal rates and I was told not to mess with them the first few days so we can see patterns and what we need to adjust. We made some basal adjustments this am and hopefully they are better at keeping me steady even with dawn phenomenon hitting.

Thank you for replying! I had actually taken an injection for my meal and for my correction bc my pump was doing nothing for me. I had randomly risen from low 100 to 200s right before the meal which I think was my pod failing On me.

5 Likes

I’m definitely interested in looping! Just not comfortable jumping into it just yet as this is my first time on pump and it’s all new

4 Likes

IM is somewhat faster acting. We mostly use sub-q because it is safe and forgiving, and perhaps less prone to infection. But if my BG is over 300 and still rising, I may use an IM bolus to help regain control. Probably I do fewer than 5 IM injections per year.

That is a good approach, because the “automatic” systems need our help to get the best results, and learning how to interpret what is happening and adjust the settings for a manual pump is good preparation. By the way, to use diy LOOP or openAPS you would need the EROS pods, not Dash. EROS is not covered by some insurance policies.

3 Likes

IM injections aren’t something to be taken lightly, but they do work well. My son uses one probably every week or so. They are his rage bolus preferred method, in the back of his calf.

6 Likes

What length needle does he use for an IM injection. I think an 8mm like I use would work as there is not much more than skin over my gastrocnemius muscle.

1 Like

I have never used them. Instead, I find that a generous correction bolus, plus a burst of exercise usually lowers bg just as quickly as those reporting results with IMs.

5 Likes

He uses whatever he has on hand, but if he has access to an 8 mm he uses that. If he goes shorter it may or may not be IM.

1 Like

Mines the opposite. My insurance won’t cover dash lol.

1 Like