Running with OmniLoop

It has been several weeks since I last posted here on Running with OmniLoop. I’m still using Loop (JoJo-beeps branch) with OmniPod, but each day may be different. I recently created a new, Overrides which gives me 20% of my scheduled basal (0.5U/hr) during a run, or 0.10U/hr. This is more or less equivalent to what I did pre-Loop. However, pre-runs are different since often times Loop will give me a few hours of ZB without me doing anything, or gives me differing amounts of basals. This can invalidate the Running tactic of 20% of basal (used successfully pre-Loop), and cause me to go high during the run. I’ve noticed this a few times. I don’t think that occurred today, yet I still went high during the run, eventually going from 95 (run start), to a high of 138. I ended up canceling my Override Running20% and resuming Scheduled Basal. Loop, however, counter acted the high with Temp Basals of up to 1.5U/hr - my max basal setting. Being impatient though, I eventually gave myself 1U towards the end of the run.

These times and distances are estimates today since I forgot my Apple Watch and could not log a Workout.

09:45 Run Start, Activate Running20% Override (Basal .10U/hr), BG 95
10:00 4 Fruit Gummies, 8g, BG 91
10:34 BG 114, Deactivate Running20% Override and resume Schedule Basal of 0.50U/hr
11:00 BG 138, 1U mg/dL
11:15 Run end, BG 127
Run time: 90 minutes
Distance: approx. 8 miles

Here is the Tidepool graph…

As shown in the graph, immediately after taking the 1U bolus I started to go down! I continued to drop (see RED in graph!) despite taking the 10g carbs but I did eventually rebound. to stable 89. What I’ve learned:

Be patient, be patient, be patient!! As @Eric advised @daisymae in Daisymaes Swimming, take each half hour at a time. I should have waited a bit longer before eating those 8g carbs at the run start, and definitely waited a bit longer before taking that 1U correction near run end! Overall, I’m okay with the run though since I was not low or high for the duration!! :slight_smile: I obviously need to work on things! Tomorrow is a beach day! I plan to do 10 miles on LI sand! :slight_smile: Hope it will be low tide!

4 Likes