Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

HAVE A PLAN, BE FLEXIBLE, AND ADJUST EXPERIMENT #1:

today my BGs were running high when i began my prep of ZB. i pre-bolused a little heavier (.5 units) and decided to leave for the pool 40 minutes earlier than usual. this meant that i would start swimming 30 minutes sooner than usual, which meant i would have been on ZB LESS time than usual. a little daunting for me. kinda expecting a crash, but figured i would work it out. Eric told me something recently which has emensly abetted some of my pre-swim BG anxiety: take everything just a 1/2 hour at a time. look at the circumstance, consider the big picture, and make a decision based upon that; dont bother yourself with the idea of swimming for 90 minutes…just the half hour. each half hour will require a new decision and a new action. today, this was put into play, and i was shocked and pleased with my results. but it did take a lot of faith on my part.

so when i was ready to start my swim, my BG was 138. no gtabs necessary for that first half hour. but when i i got out of the pool to test, my BG had crashed to 103. now what would i do if i were starting my swim with a BG of 103? i would definitely take 1 tab; so thats what i did, and then i got back into the pool for another 1/2 hour. when i got out and tested, my BG was 106; now, at this point, i had been on ZB for 3 hours. i KNEW i didnt need any more carbs, so i just jumped back in for another 1/2 hour. when i got out, i saw how my decisions paid off: my BG was 100.

now i would have prefered NOT crashing after the first 1/2 hour, but i saw that it was possible to manage a safe swim without dangerous reprecusions so long as i was able to break my swim into several pieces. if i just looked at one aspect of the big picture, i would have had a lot less courage and a lot more anxiety. this was a new experiment for me, and new experiments can be frightening.

tomorrow is another day. i will get to try out another experiment. who knows what will happen, how it will go; i know one thing, though, and that is that i can be flexible and adjust. i have a plan. :wink:

here are today’s stats:

11am bg 83 0% TB and pre-bolus of .4 units
11:30 bg 98 (ugh oh, bg going up too fast; bolused another .1 unit )
12pm bg 104
12:30 bg 126 (OMG! how did that happen??? Grab my bag and leave for the pool)
12:50 bg 138 no tabs needed, just jump in and swim hard
12:50 bg 103 (OMG! major crash. took 1 Gtab and jumped back in)
1:20 bg 106 (phew)
2:20 bg 100 (got out and bolused 2.1 units to replace 3.5 hours of ZB)
2:50 bg 83 bolused 1.4 units to cover Boost re-fuel shakes (bolused LESS than i ever have in the past b/c i have been swimming hard this week and my BGs are trending low and crashing too often. i have also adjusted my dinnertime ICR AGAIN!!! i need so little insulin after consecutive swims.)

so today provided me with a lot of new lessons. i really hope someone can benefit from this. one HUGE thing i learned today: I dont need to be afraid so long as i can muster up the courage to be UNLIMITED (and, like ERIC so profoundly said in his latest thread: “I AM POSSIBLE.”

signing out,
DM

2 Likes