Random D thoughts

@Eric - Normal to low activity. Typical carbs. Higher stress than normal. Usually stress makes higher BG. But - my T1 did tell me (this morning) the next time this happens, stop after the second carb dose attempt and just give a mini-glucagon (like 15 unit) as opposed to giving a third carb dosing. This doesn’t happen very often but chances are it will happen again for one reason or another. So - we have a new plan for “the next time”.

@Pianoplayer7008 - Couple thoughts. I remember toilet training. Different kids are different. Some parents will like to tell you how early their kid was toilet trained. Doesn’t matter. The age a child is toilet trained has nothing to do with whether they grow up to be a rocket scientist or a post hole digger. Also - everybody gets toilet trained. You could basically do nothing and your kids will get toilet trained. If I was given the chance for a fifth go-round (lol) I might just let them figure out on their own and my guess is it wouldn’t significantly change the age for when they were actually toilet trained. Gonna happen when it happens. It happens for everybody. Not too many (ha) adults peeing and pooping all over the house (absent alcohol !!!) I also remember discussing this with some parents who get super stressed out over it. My advice for toilet training gets summed up in two words:
Stress less.
:slight_smile:

@docslotnick - Thanks.

LOL! That’s basically the “method” we’ve been going with (accidentally - just too much going on), but a couple things kind of pushed this on us. I definitely wouldn’t have chosen the timing - starting right before my husband worked 4 of the next 5 days (gone before we wake; back as kids are headed to bed)! I’m trying to stress less, but it’s still sneaking up on me. :wink: My daughter’s doing great, though! She was ready.

I forget who to blame. Whoever posted about those whisps Parmesan crackers from amazon. I got a 48 pack last week and already opened the 2nd box of 24. At 300 calories per pack I’m going to get sooooo fat. They are too good…

1 Like

@Pianoplayer7008, potty training is the worst! you have my sympathies. On the upside, a potty trained child is the BEST. So there’s a light at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting back to just one kid in diapers, though I’m now wondering why we decided to do this right before holiday traveling. :grimacing:

I thought you were talking about the whip-its from the picture that Eddie posted.
So hilarious !!!
I had to read your post a few times to realize what you were ACTUALLY talking about.

ha ha ha

3 Likes

“I think this child’s trying to make me experience a bad low.” :laughing:

2nd meal in a row today (and umpteenth time recently) he’s had a meltdown soon after I pre-bolused and refused to calm down and go to sleep by the 50 minute (need to eat NOW) mark.

4 Likes

Speaking from my parenting experience, as in most things, girls get it before boys do. Be patient.

2 Likes

I guess this qualifies as a random thought. Someone mentioned on another thread about eating out at a buffet, and that was one of the hardest lessons for me to learn - I CAN NEVER EAT AT AN ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT BUFFET. I am in awe of anyone, diabetic or not, who can do that without overeating.

To me “all-you-can-eat” kind of implies a personal challenge similar to a hotdog eating contest (something else I wouldn’t recommend for a diabetic) - OK, here I go to prove JUST HOW MUCH I can eat.

1 Like

Yes! By day 4, she was good; no accidents, no need for reminders. I was dreading the whole deal, but it was way easier than I thought it would be!

For me, it’s a matter of making it worth the money I spent - all you can eat to me implies you should eat MORE than what you would pay for elsewhere, because isn’t that the whole point? :grimacing: Thankfully, I already gave up buffets due to celiac disease, so I haven’t even been tempted to eat at one as a diabetic.

2 Likes

For us, I think it is more about the variety. I get to try a little of this, a little of that and maybe a try a little of that weird thing over there.

From both a T1 and Celiac perspective, we do surprisingly well at one particular buffet we go to on occasion.

What buffet? I assumed all buffets were off limits due to major cross contamination risks.

Yeah - surprising.

Obviously care is gone into us picking which buffet selections are more likely to be prepared with no gluten ingredients. More complex dishes with “mystery” sauce is simply avoided. A dish that looks good but is right next to another dish with bits of breading spreading all around is also avoided. This particular buffet has a sushi area where the sushi chefs tell us to pass on any sushi with sauce.

Each plate when brought back to the table is carefully looked at from a T1 / carb perspective and dosed at that time - best guess rules. Completely low stress. Close enough is good enough. If the BG is off then we can correct it later.

(My T1 is a rock-star at carb counting.)

We might eat out once every other month or so. This buffet maybe once a year. Eating out in general is just not a typical part of our lifestyle. Once in a while however is nice.

4 Likes

Realized I never responded to this - oops! Life got busy…again. That is pretty awesome that you’ve found a safe buffet, AND that y’all tackle it so well with the T1 concerns. Yay, unlimited!

1 Like

Pulled banana bread out of the oven, left it to cool while I ran a quick errand, and then flipped it out…apparently I didn’t let it sit long enough, because the bottom of the bread stayed in the pan, leaving these delicious, irresistible giblets. I thought, “Man, I wish I could eat those freely!” Checked my blood sugar - whoops. Overbolused for the delayed rise after my Afrezza wore off. I ate every last giblet. :yum:

1 Like

I never knew what that was called. :yum:

LOL! I have no idea if that’s the correct term, but it’s what we call the little pieces left behind when searing/pan-frying meat, so…same concept? :blush:

1 Like

Umm… those are the “crunchy bits” in our house.

1 Like

I call it makings for a pan sauce!

1 Like

Yes! Oh, man, now I want some country fried steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy. :laughing:

1 Like