Quick shoutout to new member

Hey, a quick shout-out to @needlesandmath who I met today and shared our site. He saw my OmniPod, and it’s always a conversation starter.

Would be cool if we could get FUD stickers for our OmniPods, right? :grinning:

Anyway, welcome to FUD @needlesandmath! Lot’s of collective wisdom to be found here!

13 Likes

Thanks much for inviting me, Eric! Newly diagnosed T1/LADA (48M), so grinding my way through all there is to learn. Looking forward to tapping into the group mind here.

15 Likes

So glad to have you!!

I love your screen name! (Do we call them “screen names” still? I just found out that I’m too old to even apply for an FBI field agent position and cashiers keep calling me “ma’am” so I have a bit of an aging complex right now…)

Anyway, I love this group of people and they’ve been super supportive of me during my successes and challenges. I look forward to reading your posts as you visit!

12 Likes

Welcome @needlesandmath! Look forward to interacting and helping or hearing your ways of dealing with T1 and life!

8 Likes

Hi @needlesandmath…Great to see a new member join with a shout out! Enjoy all the learning and laughing to be found here.

9 Likes

@T1Allison I’ve been online for so long that I remember when we called them “handles” – borrowed from old CB lingo

8 Likes

A few months back I was standing in a lineup at the post office and this person popped out of nowhere and actually poked my pod on my arm and said, all in one breath, “Is that your beeper it’s your beeper why’s your beeper stuck right to you eh that’s kinda weird when you think about it eh right on your skin like that?”

I did not invite him to join FUD. Donations welcome.

And welcome @needlesandmath. You’ll learn tons here. Friendly bunch, too.

10 Likes

In US, being in a lineup is not a good place to be!!

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

6 Likes

Welcome @needlesandmath. Love the username, it is a pretty good summary of what FUD is all about. We love talking science as well as how to get things done that we wish our medical teams would have, but either can’t or won’t discuss. Looking forward to getting to know more about you and your journey. Sorry you joined our club.

6 Likes

Surprising to hear that “beepers” are still kicking around in cultural memory, honestly.

3 Likes

Wow! @Beacher The questions sound like a child or an ill-mannered teen! Where to you live and is it acceptable there to violate a person’s personal space like that? I don’t mind a pointing finger and question, but anyone that starts poking at me is out of bounds and due for a fairly robust rebuff!

3 Likes

Welcome @needlesandmath!

3 Likes

Probably just an Oregon tweaker. We have a bumper crop this year.

2 Likes

Is it acceptable anywhere? Like most big cities, mine has its share of people with mental health challenges. Canadians are known for being polite, and so we tend to politely ignore these people even when they get up close and personal. I could have turned it into a learning opportunity for him, but given that he was previously talking to the snow-globes on display, I thought maybe he had other priorities.

7 Likes

@needlesandmath
check out this post:

6 Likes

Following up on this kind welcome post by @Eric since it’s now been about 13 months since I was started on insulin. To say it’s been a hard, miserable year would be accurate; if anything, an understatement. But at my last check-in with my endo’s office, my A1C was as below, with time in range about 97%, standard deviation 15 mg/dL (as measured by Clarity). I’ve had more lows than I’d ideally like along the way but those are decreasing. Other labs also look good, and no signs of complications.

Biochemistry aside, life remains complicated. I still don’t do as much as I’d like to. My focus has been on achieving good control and adding in new foods and activities very slowly. Running is beginning to get dialed in, and so is some more exciting eating. It helps that I led a very routine and structured life before diagnosis, but having a foundation of good control means I have lots of room to experiment safely.

Anyway, this post isn’t so much of a flex as it is a thanks to all the community members who’ve generously shared their time, expertise, and encouragement along the way. It’s made this awful experience far more manageable, and for that I’m grateful.

10 Likes

WOW @needlesandmath ! Congrats on the STELLAR A1c! :100:

4 Likes