Parent use of xdrip and/or tandem app to follow t1d teen

Hi,
I am a former Nightwatch user to follow my T1D teens sugars on Dexcom. Can I use xdrip and/or the tandem app to monitor now that nightwatch has stopped? I am concerned that if I link to his transmitter I might interfere with his connection somwhow…somehow… for any help (and for this forum)

1 Like

Welcome to FUD @Silasd ! So you should understand a little about the system. The Dexcom has two Bluetooth connection channels. This is so that the Dexcom can be paired with a pump and a phone or receiver. As long as you keep your Teen’s first device connected, you should be able to make a second connection without affecting your teens ability to access the data, unless they are using both channels currently.

With that being said, if your teen is using the Dexcom app, then they can add you to the data. We currently get our teens data by using the Dexcom Share app, but that means that your teen needs to be using the official Dexcom app and not Xdrip. The app works really well for us, outside of the times my son needs to re-add us when the app updates and drops his follows.

If your teen is using Xdrip there are some options to upload the data to an intermediate system that you could access, but this requires more setup than the official share app.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this. He is using a pump and a phone as we’ll have to stick with Dexcom Follow. We were spoiled with Nightwatch! I appreciate you reaching out. Take care and Happy New Year!
Best regards,
Silas

1 Like

I hope you have a Happy New Year as well. That is what we are about. If you want to explore the other options, we do have members using every data share avenue possible, and I am sure some of them will be posting soon.

This is 5 years old, but shows how to set up xDrip followers.
I use xDrip without followers.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

i had to set up nightscout again after the mongo changed, but that was a while ago…if you have a few days off, i would try setting up a new nightscout/ heroku app…i tried to do the recommended changes, but it never worked and i had to start over

1 Like

Thanks. I went to the original nightscout app and tried to reinstall but it still didn’t work. Do you have a link for the version you are recommending? I appreciate your writing back!

1 Like

sorry for the delay… i meant i had to start over and give my site a different name and everything… just seemed like the changes they were suggesting never worked, especially with the Alexa skill…which i don’t use that often, however, it still bothers me if it doesnt work… starting over is probably your best bet

1 Like