Pandamania 10k Training Log

She’s actually not an endo, she would be my GP/PCP, but she sure seems dialed!

5 Likes

@panda Congrats!! Sounds very promising for your future with a doc that “gets it” and with a treatment approach you both appreciate! It’s better to ensure a good “fit” while being respectful of both your and your doc’s personality and perspective! The fact your doc is a T1 herself virtually assure’s she understands the added stresses you may face, not that other docs can’t have empathy for them. I hope you’re able to continue the relationship and find similar when its necessary!

5 Likes

Glad you found a good one!!

My endo was great, but several months ago she decided to change her involvement with diabetes. She now works with hospital staff for treating new D patients, emergency comas, etc. But I switched back to my prior endo, and know he will likely support similar practices I do, and maybe some new ideas.

5 Likes

Dr T1 not only called me directly yesterday to follow up and ask if I needed anything else, she also gave me her personal email for non-urgent questions and linked me to some websites for T1 athletes (I am nowhere near a Boston qualifier as required by the team she suggested I apply for, and likely never will be at that level honestly? but how thoughtful of her!).

She said she’s not surprised I’m having a tough time with getting an endo and that meantime she’s pretty comfortable handling me/managing the diabetes. She said the only thing I might really want an endo for is the athletic stuff because she knows less about that: she said otherwise she’s 100% got me on most of the regular D stuff. She also said that if I continue to have trouble getting an endo she will see if she can tap some contacts directly in the region.

I think Dr T1 may have broken my losing streak on doctors! :heart_eyes:

She also shared some stories about how she got through med school and residency, and let’s just say girl has grit! She told me that when she was going low and scrubbed in for surgery, she would have a tech drop a sugar packet or two in her face shield and eat it (paper and all!), and that it was so gross…. I told her she was a BAMF and she replied “I did it then but I’m 50 now and honestly I’m too old for that s***”, so we are also a great match personality-wise :rofl::+1:

10 Likes

@panda I did not have an endo for TWENTY YEARS outside of when I was pregnant (am just trying one on for size now and we’ll see how it works out). I used my PCP for diabetes care and it worked out well. This T1 dr sounds like she could provide FANTASTIC diabetes care for you – if she’s willing to do it, I would jump all over it. You’ve got the athletic stuff covered here. She sounds like a gem and it sounds like your conversation with her was thoughtful and straightforward… I am so happy for you!

4 Likes

@panda,
When you get a chance, can you give me your numbers for the week?

1 Like

Monday
Distance: 4.1
Duration: 45:05
RPE: 4/10

Tuesday
Distance: 3.13
Duration: 30:06
RPE: 6/10

Wednesday
Distance: 4.3
Duration: 46:55
RPE: 5/10

Thursday
Distance: 3.0
Duration: 28:42
Splits: Mile 1 @ 9:53, Mile 2 @ 9:31, Mile 3 @ 9:18
RPE: 6/10

5 Likes

Some work early in the week and then easing up into taper for your race.

Day: Date: Workout:
Monday Apr 22 30 min tempo run
(around 6.3 mph, 9:31 pace)
Tuesday Apr 23 3 mile progression run.
Mile 1 @ 9:25
Mile 2 @ 9:20
Mile 3 @ 9:15
Wednesday Apr 24 6 repeats:
1/2 mile @ 9:00 pace (~6.6 mph)
1/4 mile recovery jog after each rep
(4.5 miles total)
Thursday Apr 25 3 mile run, easy pace
Friday Apr 26 Rest
Saturday Apr 27 4 mile run, easy pace
Sunday Apr 28 Rest
4 Likes

Final report from prior week, long run:

Duration: 53:08
Distance: 5.2
Warmup: 2ish miles @ 12:00min/mile
Main Splits: Mile 1 @ 9:49, Mile 2 @ 9:37, Mile 3 @ 9:24
RPE: 7/10

I struggled some with my sugars heading for the basement in Main Mile 1 but the pace picked up once I got some sweetness onboard!

4 Likes

@panda,
Do you have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for me? How were they?

1 Like

Not so great. On the bright side I think I figured out something about my knee, on the less bright side I figured it out the hard way.

I never fully completed physical therapy after my ACL surgery on that knee in 2021: my rehab was disrupted by a number of things, but I did stay active and wasn’t having issues. But I lost a ton of muscle mass in the months leading to my diagnosis last year, and I am wondering if I didn’t quite fully rebuild the muscles in that leg enough as I resumed running after Dx. I think it may be exposing an underlying weakness in that leg. What seems to be happening is that as I start to get a little more muscle tired at higher speeds, I almost start to “hitch” my stride on that leg. It feels very much like that compensatory gait that patients in early rehab can display. That’s when I end up jamming my knee, and that’s what happened Tuesday during Mile 2 of the progression run. I had to finish the latter half at a much slower speed because of the knee problem.

I will be back with numbers, but that’s the summary; Monday went fine as written, Tuesday did not go so well, and I tried yesterday but ended up having to just pull the pace back. I want to be clear it isn’t a cardio issue, it seems to be a muscle fatigue issue of some kind that causes instability or improper gait at higher speeds. The muscle fatigue issue is significantly more pronounced on the affected leg, tiring much before the other. I also don’t think that rules out a possible meniscus problem as well, so I will be trying to see an orthopedist this fall when I have reasonable access to that and PT. I guess the good news is that I can probably address it to some extent now with some resistance band work at home, but it’s still frustrating as all hell; will be back later with the specific numbers.

4 Likes

Hi @panda. I am sorry to hear all of that. :frowning_face:

Give everything a rest. Don’t do any more running this week.

You should get to an ortho right away. You need to get it properly diagnosed and see what they need to do. Prioritize that. Let’s get you working on rehab. You can pick your fitness back up once your knee is solid.

I’d suggest also asking the ortho if you can get on a bike or an elliptical in the meantime. If that is not good for your knee, maybe a rowing machine would be useful (As long as the seat is stationary and you are not using your legs, but only your arms.)

If not, then you will just need to do the rehab and not worry about cardio for a while.

How soon do you think you can get in to see an orthopedist?

3 Likes

I don’t have access to those things; I only have a treadmill, and I have an actual bike that works but needs a tune up, but no elliptical, stationary bike, rower etc.

Last time I needed an orthopedist in this area it took about three months on the wait list to see someone covered by my insurance, followed by further waits for imaging. I will also need a GP to refer me before I can get on that wait list. Sometimes my insurance requires me to do some weeks of PT before I can get approval for an ortho. So, probably not soon, although I can start the process in about two weeks at my next GP appointment. :woman_shrugging:t2: I can’t afford to go around insurance on this one unfortunately, and their process is slow.

3 Likes

I understand. That’s really tough.

Rest a few days and see how you feel.

Even if it takes a long time to get the appointment, at least make it when you have your GP appointment. It’s better than nothing.

2 Likes

I wish we were local to each other. I would have your bike working smoothly and check the fit for you. The only thing I don’t do are wheels.

7 Likes

@panda,
How are ya? How is your knee?

1 Like

Unfortunately not so hot.

I maintain that I can probably train through to an extent, so long as I respect what that joint tells me and modify workouts as needed.

However, and it absolutely kills me to say this, but as of now I do not think it is race-worthy. I reserve the right to change my mind and go after all, but barring great improvement I think the smart move might be to scratch for this weekend, line up a PT and ortho as soon as possible, and wait to sign up for any more races until I get at least an eval.

This is such a bummer, I am real sorry! Everything was going so well until I popped that knee again. :sob:

6 Likes

Oh and not to worry on the mental side: I may be bummed out just this minute, but there’s never really a bad day out here. There is still a lot I can do even if somewhat limited for now by this injury. Headspace-wise I’m just a little resigned, I kept hoping it would resolve itself but looks like no dice.

I’m about as much of an ortho pro as I am a diabetes rookie, so I know what likely needs to happen and have a sense of what any rehab program might look like if it isn’t surgical. Cross your fingers we can rehab it away without needing an anesthesiologist.

But again: no true bad days out here. Just a bump in the road, and this knee thing too shall soon be in the rearview mirror. Not my first orthopedics rodeo.

Also happy May Day from me and Mara, everyone. Don’t forget to stop and smell the… well, these aren’t roses, but you know!

Edit to add: those are Camassia Cusickii, common name Cusick’s camas or just camas, for the botanists in the audience.

8 Likes

I’m very sorry @panda. :frowning:

Bagging this race is the right thing to do.

Let’s talk about rehab sometime.

3 Likes

Sorry, Panda, you had to skip this race but as you say, it isn’t bad. You need to recover and not push too hard. Mara will see to that. She is one dpecial doggie! I love the photo of her smelling the flowers!

4 Likes