Running a marathon! :D

Ok, I’m not really sure how to start this! But some of you may remember that I ran a half marathon not too long ago! And that was incredibly hard, but also incredibly fulfilling. So I figured I’m halfway there, and now is the time (before rotations start), and I really wanna do this, so I’ll be running my first marathon in the spring!!! :smiley: :bangbang: :star_struck: :crazy_face:

I wanted to start a thread because I thought it’d be fun to look back on progress and such. I think I’ll post some general BG trends and solutions as I’m working through them in case anyone has feedback or in case that’s helpful for anyone else. I’m super happy to hear feedback on running or BG management!

I guess general overview before I get into anything else: I use the tandem t-slim x2 with basal IQ and Fiasp. While on runs, I tend to set basal 40-60% depending on where my BG is at and what kind of run I’m doing. I use swedish fish or transcend gels for getting carbs/treating lows while running. I try to target 90mg/dL while running.

Most of my runs are in the morning before class, and most of my runs are inside on the treadmill. Some runs do end up in the afternoon. I like to do my longer runs outside, weather depending.

Ok! First notable trend I’ve found is a consistent spike within my first 15 min of running - regardless of when I start running (morning or afternoon), if I have any or no carbs on board, regardless of what kind of run it is, regardless if I’ve had any or no suspends from basal-IQ prior to starting, regardless if I’m in a time of insulin resistance during my hormonal cycle. (I think that’s all the variables I’ve looked at and have ruled out :thinking: ) So, that leads me to believe that running (or thinking of running) is just kind of stressful and causes some adrenaline to get pumped out, right when I start running or just prior to starting to run. So, my solution for this early spike is to bolus before starting to run (I think ~15min or 20min is the right time for me) but I’m still working on figuring out the right amount and timing on it. This insulin does seem to prevent my spike, but I think it may start to drop me 25-30min into the run. I am thinking of playing around with a more substantial basal drop and the timing on that.

Wow, sorry for so much text right up front! But anyways, welcome to my marathon thread. I’m so excited to continue to work towards crushing my first marathon and sharing some thoughts about it with you along the way!!! :bangbang: :revolving_hearts: :running_woman:

22 Likes

One of the most beautiful and wonderful things I have heard was a string of cuss words I heard from Larissa 4 weeks ago.

There is physical ability. You are born with natural talent and ability, but you can also work to improve it. You train hard to improve by fractions of a second for sprints, or seconds or minutes in an endurance event.

And then there is the knowledge component. We can all learn from experience. We can always get smarter. Nobody is born with experience.

But the last part. It’s just in there. Or it’s not.

Heart, passion, desire, intensity, dedication, determination.

Yes you can improve them, but those are things that are innate.

What’s inside?

Larissa will spend the next few months improving her physical ability and knowledge.

But I am honored and privileged to have heard that her heart is already there.

Just like you do a time trial for a certain distance to gauge a person’s fitness, it’s also possible to test a person’s mettle.

I wanted to hear what was inside her. It was a small test to see.

I know this. Doubt does not live inside Larissa.

I can’t wait.
:heart:

4 Likes

There is much, much more from where that came from :hugs:

4 Likes

Yes please do !!!

2 Likes

Well, I have not heard a single cuss word since.
:grinning:

Yes, there is a lot more there. But some things - like saffron macaroni and cheese (or whatever else was used) - are really hard to explain!

1 Like

Marathoners just get better with age and experience. You GO girl!

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Good Luck!!

9Y1ujXg8vbwYmd3AfG

3 Likes

I look forward to reading about the journey.

2 Likes

You have done great things with your running and running BG management over the past couple of years. You have so much experience to offer. I hope you are willing to share it with Larissa.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your warm wishes!! Knowing I have your support means so much!!

Something funny/cute I wanted to share with you guys (my first random diabetic marathoner’s thought of the day) - I was super nervous that committing to running much more frequently and farther would take away time from seeing friends/family/boyfriend. BUT, on my long runs, I’ve been so lucky to be joined by friends/family/boyfriend cycling alongside me! It’s made it less lonely and a fun way to spend time together and explore!

8 Likes

Hugs to mom and dad and your brother and Nick! :hugs:

You have a great support group. The long run company you have had, and the group of friends who were cheering for you at both the Rocky Run and the Half are a true testament. What a wonderful foundation of support!
:heart:

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing yours. In fact, I’ll be frequenting your thread so I can pocket some new ideas. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I was experiencing this, too, last winter for a short span of time. I would spike straight up to 200 at times. I never could figure it out. I just kept applying myself though, using tricks from @Eric, @Nickyghaleb and @daisymae, and eventually it subsided.

I also started Loop in late May and that has helped greatly with my running. But more than anything, my running has been helped by reading other runner’s experiences, and expert advice from FUD posters. So thank you, @LarissaW for sharing your experience. I know it will help us all, and I also believe it will help you to keep a nice timeline of your own experiences. I’m so looking forward to reading more!!! :running_woman: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Larissa,
We can talk a bit more about the relationship between pace and HR, and how it changes over the duration of your run. For now, just to keep it simple, on your weekend LSD, if you are maintaining a steady pace - and checking it when you are not on a hill - I think a ballpark for you right now would be a heart rate 155-180.

That’s a pretty good range, it’s about 70% to 88% of your HR reserve.

I would expect over long steady-state runs, you will see the HR increase a little bit, even though you are keeping the same pace. As long as your PA:HR is not decoupling (also referred to as aerobic decoupling cardiac drift) by more than 6%, you are in a good place aerobically for that pace. That’s where we want to be for the long runs.

This is not very easy to calculate manually, but we can look at some HR snapshots throughout the run and get an idea. A manual field-check of 15 seconds every few miles (on flat ground) gives you an idea of if you are at the right pace. If your HR starts to climb too much at a steady-state pace, then the pace is too fast.

For now - this applies only to steady-state LSD - the simple thing is to look for a HR range of 155-180 on long steady-state runs. Hopefully closer to the lower-middle part of that range earlier in the run, and only approaching the higher end later in the run.

(ignore the first few miles, that is generally not useful HR data)

3 Likes

I wanted to chime in on something that I found very significant, despite the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with running; but it has everything to do with D and our multitude of “formulas” regarding exercise:

when I was starting out with my swimming, I was comparing my BGs and my Basal needs, etc, to other swimmers (like Kaelan) (and all of the other exercisers out there) and not understanding why my needs were so dramatically different. well it turns out that the old slogan is true: YDMV !!!

so as I apply this understanding, remember that whatever @LarissaW made need, may not be what @Nickyghaleb may need. and, it is not a judgement call; it is simply the way our different bodies are designed.

Now @LarissaW, go out there and KILL this Marathon training!!! You Rock!!!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words! Out of curiosity, for how long had you been training before your spike stopped happening?? I also need to head over and check out your running thread! Are you still running??

1 Like

Yes! I generally see this. Though I tend to be on the higher end of 155-180 for nearly all of my runs, even the easy ones …

1 Like

Thank you DM!!! I’m planning on killing this training! Having so much spirit from you all is very energizing for me :star_struck:

Yes! Totally agree. I think it’s super helpful to look to see if others get some of the same trends but my diabetes is my diabetes and she acts up differently than others and that’s totally ok and expected! She’s got quite the personality some days :crazy_face:but I’m thankful for her.

3 Likes

That’s fine. Right now your limiting factor is stamina and aerobic capacity. That is okay. We build that, along with muscular endurance. Later, the focus turns to muscular endurance during phase 2, as well as a bit of anaerobic endurance.

The key is, if you stay withing the 155-180, that helps you be able to go longer and increase that.

Point to mention for anyone else - these numbers are specific to Larissa! These numbers do not translate the same for everyone!

We each have specific training zones. Just like you would not take Larissa’s basal settings and apply them to your own pump, these HR numbers are hers.

If anyone wants to hear about getting their own target numbers, happy to assist you with that.

3 Likes

I should just get a bike for the Friday phun run!!
:grinning:

1 Like