OTC cgm approved for ppl who do not inject/pump insulin

10 Likes

From Dexcom - for people who are not injecting insulin. but also now available to a much broader group. since it’s OTC, really anyone can get it.

1 Like

This new Dexcom OTC device will have a 15-day life. I wonder if the G7’s life will be increased from 10 days.

2 Likes

Yes, I should have put that in the post. Will edit.
Thank you!

1 Like

Here comes another rant…

Yes, its awesome that everyone has tools to be healthier, live fuller lives, and understand their bodies better. I’m not debating that at all.

But, this has been in the works about as long as the G7, and Dexcom has thrown a whole lot more $ at it than on improving and updating their line of diabetic CGMs. Hmm, I wonder why? Duh, money.
This is what ■■■■■■ me off about drug/DME companies. Don’t say its about helping people, save lives, etc if its not. Own your greed and I won’t judge you for it.
Case in point: a miraculous liver drug was being tested. Like seriously miraculous, had been proven to completely heal diseased livers with no side effects. It was going to the next phase of testing, and they found out that it was great for weight loss. Guess which way they’re going with it (for now).

Ok, rant paused. (Sorry @T1Allison, I’m appropriating that phrase. Its too perfect)

7 Likes

So is this just a G7 with alarms disabled and 4 days added? Or did they develop a whole new CGM? If it is a g7 I might purchase one to test out to see how I like it compared to the g6.

I find it nutty that a non insulin user can soon go to a pharmacy and pick up one of these things sans prescription but a actual insulin user can’t go get a libre or dex without a prescription. It can’t be a safety reason or they would require prescriptions for test strips.

5 Likes

@Josie No, it is not a modified G7. Different adhesive, different app, battery, etc. Long story short, they realized that non-diabetic people were buying CGMs, and rolled out a much simpler version.

3 Likes

And maybe compete with Abbott. :grinning:

2 Likes

This is the first time ever that a cgm is available over the counter, at least according to Stat:

For the first time, anyone in the United States will soon be able to buy a continuous glucose monitor without a prescription. The Food and Drug Administration authorized Dexcom on Tuesday to start selling a new product, called the Stelo, to adults who do not use insulin. The product is scheduled to hit the market this summer.

The Stelo product is explicitly designed for people with type 2 diabetes who are not reliant on insulin, or people without diabetes who are curious about how diet and exercise impact their blood sugar levels. The sensor will pair with a smartphone app, which will provide blood glucose measurements every 15 minutes. Dexcom has not yet released the price of the device.

The first continuous glucose monitor was approved by the FDA in 201

3 Likes

The Diatribe article says they think it will be comparable to Libres cash price.

Last October I bought a Libre 3 at Safeway for 58$ cash. It’s been a few months now so I’m not totally sure on the price?

2 Likes

Can you buy it without a prescription?

1 Like

No you need a prescription. But I think you can get a good price if you tell them you aren’t using insurance.

In this instance I actually bought it for a friend and the nice guy at the pharmacy let me buy it without a prescription or even asking my name. I’ve never used a libre before. I don’t even know if you can set up the app in the phone and get the CGM working without a account and prescription of some kind?

2 Likes

I’m always floored that Dexcom/Libre ostensibly need a script, since you have been able to buy test strips otc for decades.

4 Likes

No longer at least for the new Dexcom cgm.

I remember when you couldn’t get a meter without a script.

1 Like

I remember peeing in a cup, then combine drops of water and urine in test tube, add tablet that made it fizz up. Finally, then compare to color chart.

We’ve come a long way !!!

3 Likes